Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Comments

• ArrBee wrote: »
    I'm on the 2nd from the highest for worx.
    But I am trying to let it get on top of the moss and weeds this season.
    Over time I plan on lowering it

How does that work? You let the grass grow long enough that it hangs down above the moss and weeds blocking the sunlight?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭foret

Locating broken boundry wire ;

(Worx landroid. Loop test gives green light.)

Tried radio text umpteen times with various radios and no joy. V frustrating.

Any tips please ?!

Poss anyone with a proper detector than can be borrowed ? West dublin.

I'm sure this topic covered before but could not find.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ArrBee

How does that work? You let the grass grow long enough that it hangs down above the moss and weeds blocking the sunlight?

Tbh, I'm not sure it will work yet!
    I'm also hoping that the thatch will thin out.

I have come up with that plan based on a bunch of different bits of info and ideas.
    Thankfully the head height doesn't make them lawn unusable at all so I'm happy to see how it plays out.

I can see that the height might need to come down to get on top of the weeds but I want the moss under control first.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NurseBridie

Shaunoc wrote: »
    A few weeks ago, the front wheel came off my husky 450x :(
    Turned out the lockwasher within had deteriorated and snapped. I checked the other wheel and it too needs changing. Luckily I have one handy, but they do not seem easy got locally. It's diy territory to replace.

The front wheel tyres are wearable and should be replaced (diy) every so often if you notice wear, as like mine the rubber wore and left a gap to the wheel plastic housing. That left muck squeeze in which caused the lockwasher demise over time. 3 years in my mowers case.

What have I learned: pay more attention to the tyres, I haven't seen it mentioned as a potential issue in the thread.

Maybe for those who is or for an annual dealer service are spared this.

Also, when I'm ordering bits and bobs, get a stock of those wearable washers, bearings, screws, tyres. Those bits cost pennies but are priceless when stuck. I will check in with my local dealers to try get a few more. In the past I got from UK GPL but delivery is pricey.

Happy mowing.

Where do you order your spare parts from? I've a Husk 105 in to its 6th year and to me it seems to be falling apart. I'm advising someone else on getting a mower and I am a bit concerned that they are not as robust as I would hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Where do you order your spare parts from? I've a Husk 105 in to its 6th year and to me it seems to be falling apart. I'm advising someone else on getting a mower and I am a bit concerned that they are not as robust as I would hope.

Local dealers (poor, slow to order), online GPL UK (delivery pricey mostly but they have extensive parts and importantly diagrams but a week delivery), Atkins (cork, fast if stuck, got a wheel motor in 2 days), Robert kee, Amazon, eBay. Whatever works

Irish prices are higher too, surprise.
    There are German sites too that I'll use next for batch of washers, tyres, bits and bobs. Prices are much better, but
    As you see, I have zero loyalty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭buzz11

I've a Gardena Sileno Life mower for the last 12 months and it stopped charging a few days ago due to corrosion to the charger base, hard to believe this is happening already but there is no decent sealing around the electrics compartments, just snap together parts which are really no good in this climate.

It doesn't help that I have the charger base under a hedge but I made a timber box for it since January so it may protect it a bit more.

Does anyone have problems with woodlice & slugs getting in for the warmth of the electrics?

2021-06-07-12-59-57.jpg

2021-06-07-13-05-09.jpg

2021-06-07-13-15-53.jpg

2021-06-07-13-25-43.jpg

2021-06-07-13-25-32.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭spose

I bought a good few small bits for 439x from dutch site...wolfswinkel. Only one I found that had everything I needed in stock. Slow enough shipping through normal post. Parts were same price or cheaper from Atkins just weren’t in stock. Couldn’t afford to wait for them with no machine running with the growth rate at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭paulbok

KCross wrote: »
    You dont need to program it for that. If there is a gate in the way and its closed it will bump against it and turn around and head off in another direction.

What you dont want is it getting through the gate, someone closing the gate and then it not being able to get home. So, it depends on how that gate is used.

NOTE: You need to be able to run boundary and guide wires along the ground through that opening and it needs to be wide enough for it, so if you are talking about a narrow gate it wont work.

Sorry about hijacking this, has anyone seen any kind of automatic door/hatch for a hole in a fence between 2 garden sections, that the mower can trigger to open/close as needed?
    I have seen a flap by a automower rental franchise that their mowers can push through without the bump stopping it, but I'd prefer some more solid that can be closed to keep a toddler in, and also not have a very visible gap in the fence.
    I could go down the diy route with sensors and a motorised hatch but, yeah, would prefer a reliable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭septicsac

ArrBee wrote: »
    Tbh, I'm not sure it will work yet!
    I'm also hoping that the thatch will thin out.

I have come up with that plan based on a bunch of different bits of info and ideas.
    Thankfully the head height doesn't make them lawn unusable at all so I'm happy to see how it plays out.

I can see that the height might need to come down to get on top of the weeds but I want the moss under control first.

I had loads of moss in my lawn, now I have none except at the very edge where mower does not cut, I think its the constant cutting/mulching/feeding of the lawn that keeps it away. I cut mine at number 5/6 on the Husky scale, shortish, without being cut too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭SocialSpud

Hey, hoping to have a 1200 sq meter lawn soon and was wondering what robot lawnmower is best for this? There are some small hills and no obstacles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Bedouin79 wrote: »
    Some work ahead... keep us posted it would be great to see the finished outcome.

It got the field 95-98% in like 5 days then left it on it for a bit more to get the rest don't. Still some patches.

But I've now got it back on the rest to deal with the aftermath of the 10 glorious grass growing days we've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭shane b

SocialSpud wrote: »
    Hey, hoping to have a 1200 sq meter lawn soon and was wondering what robot lawnmower is best for this? There are some small hills and no obstacles.

Husgavarna and Ambrogio seem to be popular choices. Honda and Sthil also make automowers but ring a few local dealers and see what brands they stock. Installation by a dealer seems to be 3-400 euro.
    They are also cheaper options like Gardena, McCulloch or Flymo which all fall under the Husgavarna umbrella if you feel like self installation.
    Castlebar tool hire seem to have a good website regarding prices.
    https://castlebartoolhire.ie/collections/robotic-lawnmowers

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Bedouin79

It got the field 95-98% in like 5 days then left it on it for a bit more to get the rest don't. Still some patches.

But I've now got it back on the rest to deal with the aftermath of the 10 glorious grass growing days we've had.

Looks great. The grass growth at the moment is insane. That mower will be busy

septicsac wrote: »
    I had loads of moss in my lawn, now I have none except at the very edge where mower does not cut, I think its the constant cutting/mulching/feeding of the lawn that keeps it away. I cut mine at number 5/6 on the Husky scale, shortish, without being cut too tight.

I've heard that the mower will make the moss disappear asking with the weeds. Looking forward to that.
    I've started to dial mine down now.

How long did it take to get rid of your moss?

SocialSpud wrote: »

Must people seem to be happy with what they went with.
    From the cheap to the expensive I haven't heard anyone say they regret their choice.

I have a worx rated for 2000m2 doing about the same size as your area.
    I'd happily get one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NurseBridie

Is there anyone that services Husqvarna robotic mowers that is not involved in Sales. I would like my 5 yrs old mower to be overhauled but I am concerned that if I get my distributor to do it he will only try to sell me a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is there anyone that services Husqvarna robotic mowers that is not involved in Sales. I would like my 5 yrs old mower to be overhauled but I am concerned that if I get my distributor to do it he will only try to sell me a new one.

I cant answer your question directly but interested in what overhaul you are expecting to be done. Does it have a specific problem that needs fixing or are you talking more about servicing?

These are not like petrol mowers where you can service them and add new spark plugs, change oil, filters etc.

The only thing that robots require are blades to be changed which is a DIY job. Other than that its either working or it isnt.

Possibly software updates also but only if it has a problem that the new software will fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

5 years, the warranty is up. Something's are DIY but at this time of summer it's costly making a hames of it, unless banjaxed already
    Eshlemania on YouTube is good source if brave to split it :)
    But dealer far safer option. I got mine dealer repaired and I had not bought from them. No sales pitch but it was slow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Pique

Is anyone buying from NorthxSouth or done so this year? Will the order get hit for VAT/Import duties coming from NI?

Would it be worth a spin to their shop instead of having it delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

I purchased the McCulloch ROB1000 from NorthXSouth a few months ago. Very pleased with the process, delivered down south in 3 days.

I had meant to post an update here actually....I'm very pleased with how the mower is doing. I installed it about 6 weeks ago and it's doing a great job. Hopefully over time it can do a job on the significant amount of moss and clover I have.

• Advertisement

I didn't get hit with any additional costs by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Pique

Dutch Roll wrote: »
    I purchased the McCulloch ROB1000 from NorthXSouth a few months ago. Very pleased with the process, delivered down south in 3 days.

I had meant to post an update here actually....I'm very pleased with how the mower is doing. I installed it about 6 weeks ago and it's doing a great job. Hopefully over time it can do a job on the significant amount of moss and clover I have.
    I didn't get hit with any additional costs by the way.

Exactly the one I'm going for too. Thanks for the info.

Any before/after pics on the lawn?

I didn't take any before pics, I wish I had now.

I had to cut the grass right down low myself before the mower could do its business. There are still tracks visible in the grass, but over time I guess they blend in. They're certainly a lot better than week 1. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Initially I laid the cable with pegs, to ensure everything was setup and working ok. Amazing how quickly the cable gets embedded down into the grass. However, following a number of breakages, I've started to bury it in sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭carq

Have a Rob 400 for 1 year now.
    Working great.

App can be a bit fiddly but once you get used to the quirks its ok ( e.g if you want to put lawnmower out ad hoc, need to add today as a cutting day on the calendar first)

Only other issue is sometimes et a loop signal issue, this can be solved but plugging out and in again the left and right sensor wires at the back of the station, light should turn green then,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My FIL brought home one of these the other day.
    Being a smart arse , I pointed out to him that he had a path with kerbs going down the entire middle of the garden and the mower wouldnt be able to do it.
    He said he would just lift it over every few days. Totally shut me up :)

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Being a smart arse , I pointed out to him that he had a path with kerbs going down the entire middle of the garden and the mower wouldnt be able to do it.

Not sure if you're referring to the 400 or the 1000? There'd be a lot of work in lifting it over every few days as it has to be charged at the base station. He'd be lifting it over every few hours more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭slegs

JimmyVik wrote: »

That plan is far from ideal as the base is only located in one of the areas it cant get back to charge from the remote area. Kind of takes away from the whole point of a automated robot mower if you have to go out and bring it back to charge. Most of these units are only out for an hour or so before coming back to charge again.

He would be better creating a little route in the path for it to get back and maybe putting the guide cable down a crevice in the concrete or cutting into the tarmac if its tarmac

The 1000 is very basic, no app or anything. Just a very simple keypad and interface, set it up and let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I bought a Stihl RMI 632 today , dealer sold Husqvarna and Kress as well , he claimed the Husqvarna was a poor relation of the Stihl

anyway all in fitted 3200 , covers up to 3000 sqr metres

Advertisement