Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Audacity ?

• 13-04-2021 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

This seems like the place to ask :)

Only discovered Audacity yesterday. Somehow managed to splice two tracks together, end to end.

Been trying my heart out to figure how I did that. All I'll want to do is add clips together, making one long recording of them. Like songs into an album?

Could anyone, please tell me, in simple terms, which buttons to push?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Try the file menu at the top. - Make an new track - the drop the clips into the new track

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think if you open Audacity, and then drop two clips onto the window, it automatically places them one after another on the same timeline. You could experiment with that, adding one and then another and see if it just lines them up correctly for you.

It is worthwhile playing around with and getting to know how it works, half an hour or an hour of experimentation and a watching couple of YouTube tutorials will save you that same time back in editing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

You Tube! :rolleyes: I never even thought about that! (And there was me vehemently agreeing with someone, only this week, about how we can learn pretty much what we need from you tube tutorials)

As it happens; I surfed off into the sunset ~ there being no instant response to my post. I found a work around more suited to my levels of density and requirement.

I Know this will seem a labour intensive and slow way, to people fluent in Audacity. But, it's become part of my routine now :)

1. Record to my phone.

2. Upload it to Yahoo Mailer. Where I send it to another mailer. (Later to be simply deleted from there)

3. Yahoo 'Sent' folder. Download the recording from there. (MA4, is it? What ever)

4. Open https://online-audio-converter.com/ And there convert to MP3.

5. Open Audacity and edit the superfluous out. Download That ~ allowing it to overwrite the original MP3.

Finally ..... 6. Gather all my now edited and MP3 format files and drop them in: https://audio-joiner.com/

Like I say; Long, drawn out process. So much clicking. But, it works for me and has for weeks now. It's as much the start of a new day as a mug of good tea :)

Thanks, peeps.

I am a tea drinker too - unable to swallow coffee:)

That you found a way forward converting files means you have a knack with audacity :)
    There is no right or wrong way, once your moving forward in your goal and achieving the results you want- happy days

Otherrwise, we are here if problems crop up

^^^ Is there no where on this place we can vote for 'Post Of The Week'? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you're doing the Yahoo email download convert thing just to convert recorded video into an mp3, you could record it directly to audio without the video by just using a voice/sound recorder app on your phone.

Most will allow you to save it to something like Dropbox, open that in Audacity and export as mp3.

Edit: ah, yeah Audacity needs FFMpeg installed to open m4a files. That is probably what stopped you doing this first time. It's not that hard to install though.

Yeah. It Is a PITA that my phone won't just give me MP3 from the off. Oh, That would be Beautiful! Drop them straight into Audacity for the crop. Boom! Job done.

As it is, I just remind myself I've always been good at donkey work and that; Hey! I'm Doing what I set out to do :)

Tell ye what though? I think I'll look into this 'cloud' thing. It would be sweet not having to go into Yahoo / Sent and open and down load each individual file. Dragging a whole half a dozen straight across from cloud to converter? Oh, yeah! I could live with that! :D

Hi Stigura, I only have very rough idea of what you are trying to do. There are many ways to skin a cat.

Are these voice recording clips that you are making on your phone that you want to join together on a timeline by using Audacity ?

If so would you not just record your voice directly using Audacity?

Does this need to be high quality sound or it it just your priority to get a few recordings in sequences. Maybe your could play your phone recordings holding it to your computer and record the clips directly into Audacity ?

If you want/need to explain further but so not want to post it in the forum - you can send me a private message here, if that is any help?

Getting a bit above my level now, RH. Play recordings to my computer??? Get away! LOL! How can that even be possible?! :D

Actually; Only last night I spotted something in the Start listing? Something about Sound Recorder? I thought; 'I'm not touching that! Don't know what it is. Don't know what it might do. Leave well enough alone!' That's my policy.

No. I'll certainly look into this cloud notion. That'll about do for me though. I'd be happy with that :)

Anyway, I'm now distracted by another project. I need some very basic, practical electrical advice. I'm on a mission and enjoying it! :D

Thanks.

your attitude is just brilliant.
    You are clearing hurdles... audio or visual is hurdle after hurdle..
    Well done horse

• Advertisement
Advertisement