Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

R.I.P. R. Lee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?!

RIP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

He's gone to fingerbang the ol' Mary Jane Rottencrotch in the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Arghus wrote: »

Holee Jesus.

What is thaaat??

What the fck is that!!

...........What is that private Arghus!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

He's gone to fingerbang the ol' Mary Jane Rottencrotch in the sky

Mary Jane Rottencrotch is still with us.
    I was fingerbanging her only last night.

She said that she was very disappointed with the present you got her for mother's day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

R. Lee Ermey, made famous by playing the hard but fair Gny. Sgt. Hartman in full metal jacket, has passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Never get tired of watching him in Full Metal Jacket. Absolute scene stealer. R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I thought it was Stan Lee from the title....now I don't know how I feel :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

'What is your major malfunction numbnuts?' - A classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

What a lot of people don't know about his role in Full Metal Jacket is that he wasn't the original choice for that role. I don't remember who was, but Ermey was an actual ex-marine drill sergeant brought in as a "technical advisor", in other words give the real actor lessons in how to be a ba$tard. He turned out to be so bad that the real actor was told to hit the road and Stanley Kubrick gave the role to Ermey instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Showed up in a few horror films too. Good actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Though Ermey wasn't originally going to act in Full Metal Jacket, he wasn't totally new to acting either e.g. he had an uncredited role as a helicopter pilot in Apocalypse Now, and had played a Gunnery Sergeant in the movie Purple Hearts three years before Full Metal Jacket. Some years later he played the police captain in Se7en, and I honestly didn't recognise him until I saw the credits. It was a less intense character whio didn't use that voice. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

"You will be a minister of death, praying for war. But until that day - you are pukes"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Aw, this is sad. Hartman is one of my favourite chracters in any movie, ever. :(

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

"You look like the type that would fcuk a guy in the ass and not have the goddamn courtesy to give him a reacharound!!"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Ran into him in the bar he owned down in southern California. He hung out with us a while as I was with my former unit doing our ten year reunion from the Iraq deployment. Guy never had anything other than a smile on his face, very friendly and good natured.

He had his FMJ uniform on display by the wall.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Where the hell are you from anyway, private?

Private Cowboy: Sir, Texas, sir.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Holy dog ****! Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy, and you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?

Private Cowboy: Sir, no, sir!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Are you a peter puffer?

Private Cowboy: Sir, no, sir!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I bet you're the kind of guy who would **** a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around. I'll be watching you!

fcuking legend. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

He owed me a jelly donut!

RIP, I LOVED every bit of that film.

"Get the hell offa my goddam obstacle!":D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

He was also in Dead Man Walking, playing the father of the girl that Sean Penn's character was accused of raping and murdering.

It really showed a different side to his acting, although his voice is so distinctive that I kept expecting him to jump out of his chair and tell Susan Sarandon to "drop and gimme twenty!!"

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

As far as I know, a lot of his lines in Full Metal Jacket were not scripted.

There is also a scene in Seven where the phone rang during the take and he just carried on with it.

I'd love to know how many more of these there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

The Boys In Company C.

R.I.P. Lee Ermey

Brilliant here

March :)

Coors Ad :P

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Absolutely stole the show in FMJ can't think of another actor who could portray a Drill instructor who could pull off anything as good Gunnery Sargent Hartman .

Godspeed Gunney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

gandalf wrote: »
    He made that film.
    He literally made it as well in part by rewriting much of the script... which is even more remarkable given he wasn't even meant to be in it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Although, of course, the... eloquent... characters that R. Lee played in movies or on Mail Call are well embedded in my cognitive association, I have also run into him 'out of hours', as it were. He had a bar, down in the Southern California near Palmdale. When he discovered that our little group was actually the local armor unit having a reunion on the tenth anniversary of our Iraq deployment, he made sure to hang out with us. I don't recall him ever having anything other than a smile on his face and enthusiasm in his voice. Definitely, he was one of the good ones. Oh, presuming the bar's still around, his FMJ uniform is on display in a cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

The Frightners, a very underated film.. R. Lee playing his role in the afterlife, well he's there now! RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Although, of course, the... eloquent... characters that R. Lee played in movies or on Mail Call are well embedded in my cognitive association, I have also run into him 'out of hours', as it were. He had a bar, down in the Southern California near Palmdale. When he discovered that our little group was actually the local armor unit having a reunion on the tenth anniversary of our Iraq deployment, he made sure to hang out with us. I don't recall him ever having anything other than a smile on his face and enthusiasm in his voice. Definitely, he was one of the good ones. Oh, presuming the bar's still around, his FMJ uniform is on display in a cabinet.

Thats twice you told us that.

You ok man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Did he have permission to die? :pac:

RIP :(

Advertisement