Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

MORE THAN 300 top women in Hollywood from Meryl Streep and Jennifer Lawrence to Emma Thompson and Cate Blanchett, unveiled an initiative to tackle pervasive sexual harassment in workplaces, calling special attention to their “sisters” in less than glamorous blue-collar jobs.

The initiative, dubbed Time’s Up, caps a year in which the Harvey Weinstein sexual misconduct scandal touched off a deluge of allegations that brought down powerful men in entertainment, politics and the media, prompting companies, government agencies and even the US federal court system to reexamine harassment policies.

But in an open letter printed in The New York Times, the new initiative lends the star power of its A-list members to the cause of women in less prominent fields, urging support and respect for farmworkers and others whose humble positions leave them vulnerable and voiceless.

https://www.thejournal.ie/sexual-harassment-dear-sisters-weinstein-3776865-Jan2018/

Hmmm. A genuine attempt to highlight sexual harassment in 'blue collar' jobs, or a cynical attempt to distract from the rotten core of Hollywood, and at the same time rebuilt their damaged images as saviours of the sisterhood?

This is so cute, celebrities pretending to care about the little people.

To paraphrase Sally Field: "We like you. We really, really like you!"

Why are so obsessed with hating these people? Really they are not the ones who have come off the most damaged from all the revealed sexual assaults. But hey let's assume the worst about these people who have not done anything that bad right?

I mean it was a lot of these people who complaining about the rotten core of Hollywood so it seems unlikely they want to distract from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Hmmm. A genuine attempt to highlight sexual harassment in 'blue collar' jobs, or a cynical attempt to distract from the rotten core of Hollywood, and at the same time rebuilt their damaged images as saviours of the sisterhood?
    It might be a cynical PR stunt, but it's not wrong that we should remember the ordinary men and women who put up with sexual harassment in the workplace.

This New York Times article on women working for Ford is good. Those who managed to come forward were blamed for people being reprimanded. Some have said that if they'd known what they'd have to put up with for reporting, they'd have kept their mouths shut. It shows a real toxic environment.

I'd like to think that in Ireland things wouldn't be as bad or as endemic because we have much stronger protection for employees, but what do I know? I'm lucky enough to work in a company where these things don't happen. I'm sure others aren't so lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

https://www.thejournal.ie/sexual-harassment-dear-sisters-weinstein-3776865-Jan2018/

This is so cute, celebrities pretending to care about the little people.

To paraphrase Sally Field: "We like you. We really, really like you!"

This does seem cynical, in that these ladies will still defend woody Allen or Polanski, with no care for their victims. All because they chase a trophy.
    And the 'she knew' thing still rings in my mind.

I'm not buying this. Sorry if thats the cynic in me.

I don't really care what their motivation is. They get suspicion if they do something, condemnation if they do nothing, so on balance I'd rather they did something.

Even if it's a calculated, cynical move motivated by poor public perception in the wake of Polanski or Weinstein or whoever, if it improves conditions for the relatively powerless women who have no power or clout or recognizable names, then I'm all for it.

Sure it'd be lovely to think everyone acted out of selfless altruism, but I don't care that much if it garners results that make it a safer industry for women behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rose McGowan will star in a new five part documentary series titled Citizen Rose on E

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Rose McGowan will star in a new five part documentary series titled Citizen Rose on E

Thats not a good idea...not while she's under investigation for drugs. And her mental state rn is worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Paul Sovrino whose daughter was blacklisted speaks.:)

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/948567605765427201

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

In the fucking oven head first!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I don't care what Melania says, she was 4 years old when when Meryl was acting. She's not a part of Hollywood.

So what ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

That interview is incredulous. She says she wants to hear about the silence of Melania Trump and then goes on to excuse her own silence because she doesn't want to ruin anyone's "mature life".

That interview is incredulous. She says she wants to hear about the silence of Melania Trump and then goes on to excuse her own silence because she doesn't want to ruin anyone's "mature life".

But is happy to denounce Trump, Walt Disney and promote Maggie Thatcher...

She's clueless.

marienbad wrote: »
    So what ?
    Read the article. Her hypocrisy is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Gosh. Have you ever read such highfalutin shlte in all your life. Why is the silence of Malania more significant than hers?

Interviewer: Do you want to go into specifics?

STREEP No, no, I don’t. I mean, I was really beaten up, but I don’t want to ruin somebody’s mature life. I just don’t. I do think if the world is going to go on, we have to find out a way to work together....

.... but just don't come looking to me for answers to the questions, right Meryl?
    Trump obsessed deflective weirdo.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/ed-westwick-replaced-bbc-agatha-11801245

I can't be the only one who thinks getting replaced is unfair-especially when the claims are dubious.

does she not have someone at all with a modicum of sense enough to say
    "hey Meryl, say something good on this, or nothing at all".
    It's like being married to ted bundy and when asked about his behavior, answering with, oh have you spoken to missus Charles manson!! WTF..

What a CNUT

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Deeply disturbing-especially since he'd claimed one woman was 'lying'-now it's four.

As is Ben Vereen, he's an actor that's been in everything from Roots ('Chicken George') to How I met your Mother, and Law and Order: Criminal Intent (Ironic).
    His response is creepy Kevin Spacey Levels.

http://people.com/movies/ben-vereen-accused-of-sexual-assault/

Doesn't even deny it either-despite one womans claims that are clearly coercive rape. What a f**king Piece of S**t.

Bryan Singer's been fired from production duties on Legion, and facing a similar fate from 'The Gifted'.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/bryan-singer-ep-status-the-gifted-under-review-allegations-1202236066/

So Margaret Atwood won't be at the Golden Globes-she of 'The Handmaid's Tale' (aka the book Louise O'Neill copied for one of her lame entries). Health reasons cited.
    That's a significant blow to the 'movement', tbh.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/i-m-a-rape-survivor-i-m-hollywoods-all-black-golden-globes-dress-code-guest-column-1072061

The above article is from a rape survivor who does not support the 'wearing black' movement-in fact she sees it as counter productive.
    Many rape survivors often wear black, or loose clothing, after an assault. Because they don't want to be seen. Also, stylists are now 'fighting' amongst each other to get the best styles for their actresses.
    Some are arguing wearing bright colours, to emphasise women won't be silent, won't be invisible would be a better use of their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

So Margaret Atwood won't be at the Golden Globes-she of 'The Handmaid's Tale' (aka the book Louise O'Neill copied for one of her lame entries). Health reasons cited.
    That's a significant blow to the 'movement', tbh.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/i-m-a-rape-survivor-i-m-hollywoods-all-black-golden-globes-dress-code-guest-column-1072061

The above article is from a rape survivor who does not support the 'wearing black' movement-in fact she sees it as counter productive.
    Many rape survivors often wear black, or loose clothing, after an assault. Because they don't want to be seen. Also, stylists are now 'fighting' amongst each other to get the best styles for their actresses.
    Some are arguing wearing bright colours, to emphasise women won't be silent, won't be invisible would be a better use of their time.
    Speaks volumes of the hypocrisy and falseness of what they pretend they wish to achieve.

All the bolloxology of "well, if it serves to highlight the issues" is just that. Bolloxology.

Fcuk Streep and all of the others - male and female - who continue to support the likes of Polanski, Allen and Salva yet feel they can moralise to the rest of us.

Hollywood, and celebrity culture in general, is a cesspool of cnuts and scum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Would the Scientology angle not be relevant in the Haggis case? They really seem to go hell for leather when it comes to making the lives of defectors as miserable as possible.

Would the Scientology angle not be relevant in the Haggis case? They really seem to go hell for leather when it comes to making the lives of defectors as miserable as possible.

Its possible, but then again, Danny Masterson is still in the cult, and 5 women have come forward with allegations against him.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-paul-haggis-20180105-story.html

Haggis could have been protected, while in the cult, so the ladies stepping forward could be an indicator that something did happen.

That said, Haleigh Breest, one of the accusers listed in the article, works for the childmind organisation, a division of Scientology.
    She 'denies' she's in Scientology in the LA times article-yet her name is listed on a childmind report from September 2017.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/09/19/1124826/0/en/2017-CHILDREN-S-MENTAL-HEALTH-REPORT-THE-TEENAGE-BRAIN-CHILD-MIND-INSTITUTE-ISSUES-NEW-REPORT-ON-TEENAGE-MENTAL-HEALTH-AND-ASSEMBLES-BLUE-RIBBON-PANEL-ON-MENTAL-HEALTH-EDUCATION-IN.html

So it sounds dodgy, especially her dates and claims-we know Scientology has a disassociation thing in their rulebooks, as in 'suppressive people', like Haggis, are to be shunned by Scientologists. Haggis left in 2009, she claims she met him in 2013, I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The allegations against Paul Haggis are totally in keeping with Scientology's "Fair Game" practices, and allegations of sexual misconduct are what's in the news at the moment. They are more likely to be believed, without evidence, than e.g. allegations of financial misconduct. So while I'm obviously in no position to say that they are baseless, they aren't all that surprising. More details are here and elsewhere.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Despite all the allegations about Kirk Douglas that have been around for years, he still received a standing ovation at the golden globes. On the night where they are supposedly taking a stand against abuse. Says it all really. I suppose if/when it all comes out noone will have known or heard anything. Hollywood will never change.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Despite all the allegations about Kirk Douglas that have been around for years, he still received a standing ovation at the golden globes. On the night where they are supposedly taking a stand against abuse. Says it all really. I suppose if/when it all comes out noone will have known or heard anything. Hollywood will never change.

Woody Allen could go up their to collect an award/ lifetime achievement etc, and he'd get the same reaction.

Brie Larsson stood by and didn't clap when Casey Affleck won-that's all folks have to do. They won't.

That said, Rolling Stone noticed. 'Very outdated' was the verdict.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/times-up-golden-globes-2018-tackles-sexual-assault-with-mixed-results-w515097

The Kirk Douglas/ Natalie Wood rape. (Be warned, this is very detailed, and very disturbing-so if you are a survivor of rape, this may trigger ptsd). It appears even Natalie's daughter knew. Again, if rumours are true. (I don't believe Walken killed Natalie, nor do I believe Robert Wagner did. I think they were toxic to one another, for sure, but not enough to kill her).

http://gawker.com/5893793/did-robert-downey-jr-really-just-accuse-kirk-douglas-of-a-brutal-rape

Natalie Portman's 'here are the all male nominees' for best director was also, I feel, another deferral. (She paid no attention to how they were all white etc). And most of the winners on the night were, you guessed it, white. (Oscars so white didn't get a tweet, eh?).

That said, it was educational, I didn't know about James Franco (Ally Sheedy made comments about him on twitter), nor Christian Slater.
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/01/ally-sheedy-james-franco-christian-slater-tweet-me-too
    Now while Franco was honest about instagramming with a 17 year old girl (he claims he didn't know she was 17, he was 35 at the time) and admitted it, he may very well prefer chasing the young girls. That's seriously creepy.
    Gary Oldman won too-amid allegations he was a violent jerk years ago, something he denies, but hasn't truly addressed.

I don't know about Slater-like, I know he beat up a girlfriend or two when he was a raging junkie. I won't excuse that, but to me, a true scumbag is a sober one. (Bar the Wood story).

Dan Harmon (Creator of Community/ Rick and Morty) has had to apologise to a former female writer on Community for his being a jerk. Can't imagine the 'Globes' coverage will truly stop the scumbags residing among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Woody Allen could go up their to collect an award/ lifetime achievement etc, and he'd get the same reaction.

Brie Larsson stood by and didn't clap when Casey Affleck won-that's all folks have to do. They won't.

That said, Rolling Stone noticed. 'Very outdated' was the verdict.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/times-up-golden-globes-2018-tackles-sexual-assault-with-mixed-results-w515097

The Kirk Douglas/ Natalie Wood rape. (Be warned, this is very detailed, and very disturbing-so if you are a survivor of rape, this may trigger ptsd). It appears even Natalie's daughter knew. Again, if rumours are true. (I don't believe Walken killed Natalie, nor do I believe Robert Wagner did. I think they were toxic to one another, for sure, but not enough to kill her).

http://gawker.com/5893793/did-robert-downey-jr-really-just-accuse-kirk-douglas-of-a-brutal-rape

Natalie Portman's 'here are the all male nominees' for best director was also, I feel, another deferral. (She paid no attention to how they were all white etc). And most of the winners on the night were, you guessed it, white. (Oscars so white didn't get a tweet, eh?).

That said, it was educational, I didn't know about James Franco (Ally Sheedy made comments about him on twitter), nor Christian Slater.
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/01/ally-sheedy-james-franco-christian-slater-tweet-me-too
    Now while Franco was honest about instagramming with a 17 year old girl (he claims he didn't know she was 17, he was 35 at the time) and admitted it, he may very well prefer chasing the young girls. That's seriously creepy.
    Gary Oldman won too-amid allegations he was a violent jerk years ago, something he denies, but hasn't truly addressed.

I don't know about Slater-like, I know he beat up a girlfriend or two when he was a raging junkie. I won't excuse that, but to me, a true scumbag is a sober one. (Bar the Wood story).

Dan Harmon (Creator of Community/ Rick and Morty) has had to apologise to a former female writer on Community for his being a jerk. Can't imagine the 'Globes' coverage will truly stop the scumbags residing among them.

Its more than the Instagram thing with Franco. There are some disturbing rumours about his acting school in New York which abruptly closed (Google James Franco acting school blind items). And also about his behaviour at the college campus he was (is?)teaching at a few years back.

Even Oprah, I found her speech very powerful but then you remember she was often pictured schmoozing with weinstein. The hypocrisy of the whole event is disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

The golden globes was sickening virtue signalling and hypocrisy on a level barely witnessed before. Meryl Streep has to be one of the most dislikeable people on the entire planet the absolute state of her with her double standards preaching to the rest of us. Fcuk off you weapon.

I think the Streep thing is becoming a major distraction from what's being highlighted in Hollywood. Sure, she is a hypocritical twunt but that's far less of an issue than the abuses of power going on imo.

'Yeah, yeah, yeah, so Harvey raped, molested and harassed a load of women - we get it - but did you see that bit of virtue-signaling Streep did?!?!?'

Surprised at Harmon, considering how defensive he was of his female writers for the third season of Rick and Morty. He did seem to be reaching out to Megan Ganz to find some way of reconciling the situation with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

'Yeah, yeah, yeah, so Harvey raped, molested and harassed a load of women - we get it - but did you see that bit of virtue-signaling Streep did?!?!?'
    Show me where he was convicted of rape? It's easy to make allegations to papers, let's see some criminal proceedings.

Advertisement