Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Name/type of joint

• 28-03-2021 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me the name or type of joint you would use in the following circumstances. I can't post a pic as I cannot find one that shows the joint and I want to be able to talk to someone about it.

Building a pergola from 6" timber, no roof just basic framework. I want it to be very simple looking of substantial timber with minimum uprights and cross beams.

There is an upright, then a beam across for the length, cut into each other, continuous beam to the front. Then a beam going across the width, cut into the other two. So you have a solid three way joint.

I can visualise the upright having a half lap at the very top with the long beam cut into it, but how do you put in the cross beam without losing strength. If you cut down into the top of the upright so it was reduced to a 3"x3" section, with a 3" section on the cross beam, would it be strong enough, and how would you bolt it?

If I used 6x3 timber for the beams I can easily see how it could be done, but would it look solid?

I hope this is clear enough, any help appreciated.

Comments

Advertisement