Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar Power Ships

• 17-08-2019 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭

The idea the future tourism would be based around solar power shipping was brought into a couple of other threads.

Is it possible to achieve and in what time frame?

Thanks for humouring my curiosity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd see it as a better solution that shipping would have batteries aboard and then charged in port by power sourced from renewable energy, I don't think solar onboard a ship could come close to covering the power needs required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You "only" get about 1KW of power per square metre from the sun on a good day. If your hardware is top notch 15% might make it to the prop. Years ago some bright spark had the idea to put a big long stick poking out of the middle of the boat and he'd attach a bit of cloth to that and let the wind blow it along but everyone is on such a tight schedule now to get back to their little apartment and cubicle and be back into the rat race even that system isn't good enough for most modern folk

Advertisement