Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An old challenger has left

• 24-01-2019 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

10 Years ago around the launch of SFIV Fibbers had a launch party of sorts.
    Big screen, no FGC yet so I went along with KenB and Trev B. It was epic. I'd never experienced the thrill, the atmosphere the noise from the crowd, (It was packed.) When someone pulled off an ultra the crowd went ballistic.)

I met Kiki and a few others from the general gaming board and discussed it and what an opportunity it was. Beer, SF and friends.
    I'm not going to rehash the whole decade but without an outlet to play I invited a few folk over to mine (Rathfarnham Rampage, complete with DoomCam.

10 Years later and thanks to Brian and Emmett amongst others Ireland is legit on the scene. Sponsors, top 16 placing etc.

I don't say this lightly but I LIVED for those sessions and banter. They changed my life for the positive.

I turned 40 last month and was never a top tier player. I did claim some scalps though. I've never loved a game like SFIV
    So my turn to bow out has come. I thought to do it here as it was here that it all began. I've had two children, got married and numerous highlight jobs but theres something special about this community.

Too many of you too mention, Dan, Emmett, Brian, Kiki Jim, Ken and Trev B, and of Course Terry the Tiger. I retired a winner.

Well played guys GGS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You're welcome back any time mate.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ah man, you can quit, but SFIV will never let you leave :D

Yeah that was a very special time for me too, those tournaments were great craic, we didn't know how to play and it didn't matter.

Chopper, Dan and I were travelling around the country every weekend wrecking fools as well.

For old times sake, I think this is the first video of you on the channel:

And the last:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Fair play waller.. You introduced me to the scene and I had some great craic thanks to lads on the scene at the time.
    This is my first post on the forum in years. But for a reason.. im gonna get back into the game and so should you. 2 kids and a wife would be proud of seeing a hundred hands into headbutt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Turn up to Celtic Throwdown on the Sunday night boys.

Some quality beers and Street Fighter were had last year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Turn up to Celtic Throwdown on the Sunday night boys.

Some quality beers and Street Fighter were had last year.

Some of the new guys were filming me playing SFIV all excited, like Daigo was playing world warrior or something :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement