Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolution of the Daleks - BBC America - Captain Jack Christmas Episode

• 23-11-2020 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,268 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I completely forgot about that cameo last year; felt very arbitrary at the time (had to explain to my wife who he was, which was a good sign at how "fan service" it was).

Barrowman's refusal to age like the rest of us does make me wonder if he is indeed the Face Of Boe.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,268 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Full Trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Looks like a rehash of Victory of the Daleks ?

Barrowman thrown in to prop things up.

The problem with the Dalek stories since Who came back is that they have not topped "Dalek", in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Looks like it could be a soft reboot for The Doctor?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like it could be a soft reboot for The Doctor?

Why do you reckon this? There some scuttlebutt knocking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

pixelburp wrote: »
    Why do you reckon this? There some scuttlebutt knocking about?

Yeah, bit on reddit in relation to the trailer alright. General consensus is they are heading to reboot the 13th Doctor. Not sure that makes sense since they've basically did a total retcon last season.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Some wishful thinking: 13 is going to be missing in the next series and it will feature Captain Jack having fun with the Tardis instead. A good way to save the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭flazio

bigar wrote: »
    Some wishful thinking: 13 is going to be missing in the next series and it will feature Captain Jack having fun with the Tardis instead. A good way to save the series.
    Not if Chibnall is writing it won't be. It'll be just some weird version of Torchwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,729 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Am I the only one who can't hear half of the dialogue for the soundtrack?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Not just you
    The sound mix is shocking

• Advertisement

Too many companions, only Walsh can act.

Barrowman was there, but went through the motions. Wasn't the big deal I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,219 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Didn't have the oomph of previous Xmas specials

At least we're down to one companion - maybe the show can be more about the Doctor now

fritzelly wrote: »

At least we're down to one companion - maybe the show can be more about the Doctor now

I'm hoping they can tidy up this retcon on the Doctor's origin they did last season.

Also poor Jack was wasted in this 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭wench

fritzelly wrote: »

Looks like we'll soon be back up to two, going by the clip after the show.

Another gripe I just thought of:

"Just four minutes to Osaka."

Has the Tardis when given a destination not basically been there instantly? At whatever time they wanted (give or take)? Because it's a time machine and not space shuttle?

I dunno, it was just lines like that that make me rue the day Chibnall took over. There have been some fun moments and lines (I did chuckle at "Hi! I was in space jail!!"), but I just feel he doesn't understand the *fun* of Doctor Who that fans are craving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

You weren't missing much, the dialogue at times was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Since Chibnall took over the reins, the writing has been very formulaic and to be honest, dreadful. It's clear that he simply doesn't get it in the way that Russell T Davies did.

exaisle wrote: »
    Since Chibnall took over the reins, the writing has been very formulaic and to be honest, dreadful. It's clear that he simply doesn't get it in the way that Russell T Davies did.

+1

Davies had stuff like Dalek and Fathers day etc.

Chibnall's signature episode was.....

Nope, can't think of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

Finally watched it. It was... ok, I guess. Could've done without the force ghost at the end. That was just cringe. Someone has already said it but it just has been lacking a sense of fun since Chibnall took over. I went on a re watch of 10 and 11 over December and even at RTD and Moffat's worst it was far more watchable than this.

It was great to have Jack back but it didn't quite feel like Jack. I did laugh at the silver fox bit. Yaz looks like she's becoming Clara 2.0.

It says it all about the writing of the show when the main reaction to companions leaving is meh but I am looking forward to John Bishop's character in the new season. Hopefully he brings a sense of fun to it.

All in all it was just ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,778 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Who knew Earth had 2 suns? Ryan and Graham were staring into the sunset yet the sun was above Graham's head when it showed his face.

So I'm a bit unsure about the timelines. It was 10 months since they last saw her, but how long was she in the prison? I'm sure Jack said he was in something like 19 years to get to her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,219 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thought they said a decade

edit Jack did say 19 years to get to a cell next to her

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Who knew Earth had 2 suns? Ryan and Graham were staring into the sunset yet the sun was above Graham's head when it showed his face.

So I'm a bit unsure about the timelines. It was 10 months since they last saw her, but how long was she in the prison? I'm sure Jack said he was in something like 19 years to get to her

I think she was in prison for the 19 years but when they got away they thought they had set the tardis to travel back 5 or so minutes after she was taken but they got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭wench

I think she was in prison for the 19 years but when they got away they thought they had set the tardis to travel back 5 or so minutes after she was taken but they got it wrong.
    She said she'd been there decades, it took Jack 19 years to get a cell next to hers

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I mean... it was ok.

I think Chibnall just doesn't have it. I feel Whittaker and Walsh have been wasted tbh. It always feels like they're on the verge of being awesome but are not being given the material.

The only time I've been invested so far really has been the when the Nth Doctor shows up or when they were doing the retcon stuff, because like it or loath it at least it's interesting. Otherwise has been pretty meh.

I rewatched Capaldi's last season before Christmas and it was so good in comparison, all that stuff with Missy's face turn. Missing that kind of arc I care about.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It was dull and overlong - far too many scenes for example with the "baddies" discussing their plans for the Dalek police force. Completely unnecessary and in fact undermines the "reveal" that the PM did on camera.

But one thing that particularly bugged me is how Chibs wrote the companions here. Atrocious dialogue at times - some real ham-fisted ones - they had Yaz act like a petulant child demanding where the Doctor was and not once did she enquire as to how the Doctor had been herself and was she okay after "space jail". It was all a one-way pity party with her - now she's gone from being uninteresting to pure annoying. And why exactly was Yaz so obsessed? Doesn't she have a career in the police to pursue? Or is her whole character purely validated only by being the Doctor's side kick? Has she forgotten her own family? Strikes of very weak writing and forcing characters to fit the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Is there anywhere I can watch this legally? I missed the broadcast, couldn't record, and can't find a place to watch it. I don't have iPlayer access, it's not on any of the streaming services or available for purchase on iTunes, as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

ixoy wrote: »
    It was dull and overlong - far too many scenes for example with the "baddies" discussing their plans for the Dalek police force. Completely unnecessary and in fact undermines the "reveal" that the PM did on camera.

But one thing that particularly bugged me is how Chibs wrote the companions here. Atrocious dialogue at times - some real ham-fisted ones - they had Yaz act like a petulant child demanding where the Doctor was and not once did she enquire as to how the Doctor had been herself and was she okay after "space jail". It was all a one-way pity party with her - now she's gone from being uninteresting to pure annoying. And why exactly was Yaz so obsessed? Doesn't she have a career in the police to pursue? Or is her whole character purely validated only by being the Doctor's side kick? Has she forgotten her own family? Strikes of very weak writing and forcing characters to fit the plot.

I was thinking about this and Clara's reaction when she learnt how Doctor had been in the will thing from Heaven Sent. Here she briefly mentions she was in prison for decades but the fam are pissed because she's ten months late.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

CastorTroy wrote: »
    i thought they were both clearly lying to each other about 'oh, sun in my face' and knew it but it did strike me as well with the sun clearly overhead

i dont remember if there was a sunset shot when they showed where they were looking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is there anywhere I can watch this legally? I missed the broadcast, couldn't record, and can't find a place to watch it. I don't have iPlayer access, it's not on any of the streaming services or available for purchase on iTunes, as far as I can tell.
    You just missed the sign language repeat which was this morning at 1:20am. Next time it'll be on is whenever Drama or W get their hands on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,778 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

bluewolf wrote: »
    i thought they were both clearly lying to each other about 'oh, sun in my face' and knew it but it did strike me as well with the sun clearly overhead

i dont remember if there was a sunset shot when they showed where they were looking

It may have been the light around the "ghost" they were seeing

Advertisement