Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Freesat Card

• 18-06-2010 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a Sky Freesat card on the internet somewhere. Looks like the best price is €60. I want to get it for the Channel 4 HD and E4 HD and the Fiver channels. Planning on sharing it within my house using cccam to 2 other linux boxes. (MODS: If this is breaking the rules, please tell me and I'll remove it)

Does anybody have any of these?
    Is it worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tomslick

€60 looks a bit expensive. Around the €30 mark is about right for these cards. It will bring in the channels you listed except E4. The other issue can't really be discussed here. But, if you wanted to do as you say with linux, your looking at about €200 min for each HD box (thats for a crap/clone etc.) and a fortnight of your time. Not worth it for a handful of channels me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭RogerThis

tomslick wrote: »
    €60 looks a bit expensive. Around the €30 mark is about right for these cards. It will bring in the channels you listed except E4. The other issue can't really be discussed here. But, if you wanted to do as you say with linux, your looking at about €200 min for each HD box (thats for a crap/clone etc.) and a fortnight of your time. Not worth it for a handful of channels me thinks.

Around €60 is what i've seen: storesatellite.com is £70. tvtrade.ie is 54.45. satellitetv.ie is €59. All these exclude delivery. If you could tell me where I could get one for €30 that would be great. I want to make sure it's a freesat card not a used sky card, that could be turn off at any time.

I didn't know that E4 HD wasn't available. But 5HD will be soon available, and maybe E4 in the next year or two.

I have a Vu+ Duo and I've just ordered an Azbox Elite. I'm planing one other box for upstairs, but haven't decided which box yet. I've already put in the two weeks and more, so I know what I'm getting into.

Has anybody else purchased the Freesat card for this reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Apogee

Yes, people have purchased FTV cards for that reason and it's relatively easy to a FTV card direct from Sky for £20 if you follow the instructions on this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055800625

Thanks for that Apogee, card ordered. Fingers crossed for the delivery and phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

RogerThis wrote: »
    Thanks for that Apogee, card ordered. Fingers crossed for the delivery and phone call.

Don't forget to give the 'Thumps up' on that thread! Maybe when there's 100 thank you's they might sticky it instead of closing it!

• Advertisement

Card came on Friday, and all setup now.

I couldn't get my mobile or landline to not display caller id.
    So I used a service www.operatorone.eu (cheap calls) You get a free €1 when you setup. So the call didn't cost me anything and it displays a local number for where you are calling to.

I first was answered by a call centre in India, then got transferred to a UK call centre.
    They just asked for my name and first line of address and postcode. No telephone number. And all the details from my sky box. The card activated immediately.

I now have big brother in HD!

Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

Big Brother in HD :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mccarrd2

Can a Sky Box only be registered to one card? I plan to get a freesat card, but i think it might be a while before I cancel the Sky subscription I have. If i activate the Freesat to the box, does this mean I cant use the sub sky card after register the FTV card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I used have a Sky card.

Changed to Freesat.
    Much better and new channels being released regularly.
    No bloody lists of scrambled ppv channels or number restrictions on favourites.
    Add BBCHD BBC1HD ITV1HD CH4HD

OK so I lost Fiver and FiveUS but who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

mccarrd2 wrote: »
    Can a Sky Box only be registered to one card? I plan to get a freesat card, but i think it might be a while before I cancel the Sky subscription I have. If i activate the Freesat to the box, does this mean I cant use the sub sky card after register the FTV card?

You can register more than one card to sky box. So yes go ahead and get ftv card, it will not effect your Irish card.

Just make sure you have no telephone line connected to box when using ftv card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement