Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway traffic

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

One of the fast food delivery companies had a post up on social media earlier saying they had suspended deliveries due to traffic and would advise when hey were taking orders again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Everywhere?

Parkmore Rd is pretty much empty

The bus got thru the Briarhill junction at the first chance of the lights.

Ballybane Rd is flowing freely.

A very slight queue on Monivea Rd going in to Ballybane Rd.

Have to agree, we got out of town in 20 minutes to the East side at 420. Eglinton/Eyre Square moved fine and that was probably the slowest part of the journey, was expecting a lot worse from the posts on here earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Have to agree, we got out of town in 20 minutes to the East side at 420. Eglinton/Eyre Square moved fine and that was probably the slowest part of the journey, was expecting a lot worse from the posts on here earlier.

All you had to do was look at Google maps this afternoon. All the centre of town was dark red. It was a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

As I said and others all the problems were in the City once you got out it was grand so no point in posting about Ballybane or other places. It took me one hour and forty minutes to get from Westside to Ballybrit at lunchtime .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Storm 10 wrote: »
    As I said and others all the problems were in the City once you got out it was grand so no point in posting about Ballybane or other places. It took me one hour and forty minutes to get from Westside to Ballybrit at lunchtime .

Someone said the problem was was "everywhere". It clearly wasn't.

I had lunch with a friend who travelled from Oranmore to Parkmore . She had no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Traffic in GALWAY CITY yesterday was as bad as it gets .
    The pedantic posters on this forum are well aware of where the problems were yesterday .
    Of course they weren't any issues around parkmore because a lot of workers aren't in that area on a Friday afternoon.
    It was choas as I predicted it would be ... Because
    Novena / midterm / shocking weather and throw in the damaged road at wellpark.
    To many people in galway don't stop and think ...
    All the sheep got in their cars because the kids were off school ,and weather was bad to head into the shopping centres .
    It happens every single midterm off from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,084 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The cross at the huntsman is half closed again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,329 ✭✭✭✭zell12

FitzShane wrote: »
    The cross at the huntsman is half closed again today.
    Road Fail again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Someone said the problem was was "everywhere". It clearly wasn't.

I had lunch with a friend who travelled from Oranmore to Parkmore . She had no problems.

This thread about traffic within the Galway city forum. If care was taken to look at traffic app it would have shown all routes within Galway city dark red.

Oranmore is in county Galway and so is part of parkmore. maybe crossing the outskirts of the city residential areas and possible briarhill s/c depending on what route was taken.

So poster was correct in saying in what they said. It would be more help is posters in this thread to stay on topic rather than derail such as this example.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

zell12 wrote: »
    Road Fail again?

Fully repairing yesterday's issue it seems.

• Advertisement

Traffic in GALWAY CITY yesterday was as bad as it gets .
    The pedantic posters on this forum are well aware of where the problems were yesterday .
    Of course they weren't any issues around parkmore because a lot of workers aren't in that area on a Friday afternoon.
    It was choas as I predicted it would be ... Because
    Novena / midterm / shocking weather and throw in the damaged road at wellpark.
    To many people in galway don't stop and think ...
    All the sheep got in their cars because the kids were off school ,and weather was bad to head into the shopping centres .
    It happens every single midterm off from school.

So it's nothing which a ring-road will fix then: people simply need to catch the bus to the cinema, novena etc

And it clearly wasn't bad everywhere: I named lots of city roads which were just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So it's nothing which a ring-road will fix then: people simply need to catch the bus to the cinema, novena etc

And it clearly wasn't bad everywhere: I named lots of city roads which were just fine.

The ring road would fix a lot - if & it's a big if, it's done properly. All of the Novena visitors, from outside the City, would use the ring road & then use Park & Ride. A proportion of the existing traffic jam vehicles would be out of the City & on the ring road.

Sure could say the road outside my estate was empty and ask what are all the complaints...
    Wellpark was blocked so traffic wasnt going to go that way to feed ballybane as you mentioned. Other areas u mentioned are in county galway or part thereof.

Arterial routes were bumber to bumber from city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It would depend on how many east side workers take up houses on the westside. I could see it happen that Knocknacara residents would drive out to Barna, or the nearest access to the ring road, and use that to get to work in Parkmore, Ballybrit etc. If it remains single occupancy cars the whole way then the ring road could just become another gridlock.

Laviski wrote: »
    Wellpark was blocked so traffic wasnt going to go that way to feed ballybane as you mentioned. Other areas u mentioned are in county galway or part thereof.

Arterial routes were bumber to bumber from city centre

I wrote the post while on a Galway city bus 401, travelling thru Galway city.

Every road I mentioned is one that would be jammers if traffic was bad *everywhere*.

I wrote the post while on a Galway city bus 401, travelling thru Galway city.

Every road I mentioned is one that would be jammers if traffic was bad *everywhere*.

What you mentioned is what was on the east side.
    Now your saying your on the 401 going thru the centre to the east.

Stick to a story rather than set an example to suit your agenda. Which u now changed.

or obviously you went before wellpark was closed. As the 401 wouldn't have been able to drive through when closed. As you fail to mention that diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Mrs Bumble has a one track mind about traffic in Galway which will never change, lunch in Parkmore with a friend from Oranmore no traffic problems despite posters saying all the problems were in the City Centre ,I had no lunch yesterday because I spent over an hour not going anywhere every road heading out was completely blocked.

Laviski wrote: »
    What you mentioned is what was on the east side.
    Now your saying your on the 401 going thru the centre to the east.

Stick to a story rather than set an example to suit your agenda. Which u now changed.

or obviously you went before wellpark was closed. As the 401 wouldn't have been able to drive through when closed. As you fail to mention that diversion.

I have no idea where you got the city centre from.

I will repeat: I was on a Galway CITY bus, travelling along Parkmore, Monivea, Ballybane roads. They are all in Galway city. All were fine. Obviously traffic wasn't bad EVERYWHERE as someone claimed. And it certainly wasn't bad at the usual hot-spots.

Wellpark was reopened by 1:35pm, according to the city council. It was certainly open and moving freely when my bus went along it. So was College Rd.

No matter what happened in the city centre on Friday, I can assure you it was worse on certain wet days in 2007/8 ish, when the issues genuinely were city-wide

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ringroad and Galway traffic being discussed in Ivan Yates show on Newstalk now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Ringroad and Galway traffic being discussed in Ivan Yates show on Today FM now.

Newstalk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Now the mad thing - lets see what figures are produced at the Oral Hearing. Would not be surprised if they are changed again.
    Looks like it did change. It's now up to 69% according to the Irish Times/the project director:

Andrew Archer, project director, said private car users are projected to account for 69 per cent of all journeys in the city in 2039, if the ring road is built.
    According to projections completed by Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII), which appear in the ring road’s EIAR, the percentage of people walking in Galway will fall from an estimated 25.2 per cent to 24.5 per cent over the same period, should the project go ahead.
    Similar marginal decreases are projected for the percentage of people using public transport, down from 4.3 per cent to 4.1 per cent, and the number of people cycling, down from 3.1 per cent to 2.8 per cent.
    Not all doom and gloom. With a few if's and hopes and wishes, we might see a slight shift towards other modes of transport. So if we're lucky we might see a full 6.8% of people using public transport

The project team behind the proposed ring road argued that these projections will be changed significantly if separate initiatives included in the Galway Transport Strategy and the National Planning Framework are implemented in full.
    Under these conditions, the percentage of people travelling by cars will be reduced significantly to 56 per cent by 2039. Similarly, the percentage of people walking is projected to grow to 31.2 per cent while the percentage using public transport and cycling is projected to increase to 6.8 per cent and 6 per cent respectively.

Despite the projected decrease in the percentage of people cycling, walking and using public transport if the ring road is build, Mr Archer said the development will create an improved environment for non-car users in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Quote:
    Andrew Archer, project director, said private car users are projected to account for 69 per cent of all journeys in the city in 2039, if the ring road is built.
    According to projections completed by Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII), which appear in the ring road’s EIAR, the percentage of people walking in Galway will fall from an estimated 25.2 per cent to 24.5 per cent over the same period, should the project go ahead.
    Similar marginal decreases are projected for the percentage of people using public transport, down from 4.3 per cent to 4.1 per cent, and the number of people cycling, down from 3.1 per cent to 2.8 per cent.

That has to be totally wrong & utterly bonkers. No wonder our infrastructure is in a mess. I am pretty sure that Oxford experienced the total opposite. This will only happen when they fail to put in efficient Park & Ride.

Discodog wrote: »
    Quote:

That has to be totally wrong & utterly bonkers. No wonder our infrastructure is in a mess. I am pretty sure that Oxford experienced the total opposite. This will only happen when they fail to put in efficient Park & Ride.

What's most depressing is that this is the director of the project putting forth his best face on why it should be done. He does go on to say that things might improve (a drop to 56% private car usage) IF a load of other things happen, but it doesn't seem like any of those other things are guaranteed to occur and are dependent on a load of other bureaucratic groups getting their act together.

I might be a pessimist (or just an engineer for too long) but I'd expect things to end up worse than the story he's portraying here.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Ringroad and Galway traffic being discussed in Ivan Yates show on Newstalk now.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-hard-shoulder/its-embarrassing-at-this-stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

xckjoo wrote: »
    What's most depressing is that this is the director of the project putting forth his best face on why it should be done. He does go on to say that things might improve (a drop to 56% private car usage) IF a load of other things happen, but it doesn't seem like any of those other things are guaranteed to occur and are dependent on a load of other bureaucratic groups getting their act together.

I might be a pessimist (or just an engineer for too long) but I'd expect things to end up worse than the story he's portraying here.

In fairness, of course that's the case. Adding a ring road will not put people on busses. Only an improved bus network will. You cant improve the public transport without the additional river crossing.

cooperguy wrote: »
    You cant improve the public transport without the additional river crossing.

Of course you can, dedicate 1 lane on the double lane roads to public transport, add additional routes and buses. For some single lane roads switch to one way systems and do the same.

I think you mean you can't improve it without inconveniencing the current private car centred solution that isn't scaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

xckjoo wrote: »

His numbers and projections sound about right to me - have we seen the same shift in other Irish Citys of similar size to Galway who have "Ring Roads" (Waterford and Limerick) into other modes since those roads were buillt.
    Nope.
    His 2039 numbers is with modeling the GTS 2016 strategy into the mix.
    That has no P&R, minimal cycling infrastructure.
    The only major aspect of the GTS 2016 is closing the Salmon Weir Bridge and inner City from College/Rd Forster St to Court House to private car traffic
    People on this thread here talk about P&R but there are no concrete plans for any P&R.

McNeils said on the Newstalk segment that Bus Connect in development for the City and there'd be a Salthill route within the next 2 years. Anybody got a link to info on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,329 ✭✭✭✭zell12

BusConnects may involve CPO of gardens and due for completion in 2027
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2019-04-09a.1319

Can't find any mention of next two years

• Advertisement

Galway was definitely included when Bus Connects was launched but I have only ever seen reports about Dublin.

Bus Connects would be well needed here.
    Reorganizing routes into spines, orbital routes and feeder routes, taking parking or front gardens to make bus lanes along those spines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement