Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

• 11-04-2015 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭

Tipperary North Riding and Tipperary South Riding County Councils have been abolished and in the next General Election Tipperary will be a five seater constituency replacing the two old three seaters.

Who are going to take the seats? Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, and Sinn Fein are very weak in the constituency. The only strong candidate allied to a Party is Alan Kelly of Labour.

Prediction

Mattie McGrath
    Michael Lowry
    Alan Kelly
    A.N.Another
    A.N.Another

If Fine Gael could persuade the former Tipperary Hurler, Eoin Kelly to stand he would romp home!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Xenophile wrote: »
    Tipperary North Riding and Tipperary South Riding County Councils have been abolished and in the next General Election Tipperary will be a five seater constituency replacing the two old three seaters.

Who are going to take the seats? Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, and Sinn Fein are very weak in the constituency. The only strong candidate allied to a Party is Alan Kelly of Labour.

Prediction

Mattie McGrath
    Michael Lowry
    Alan Kelly
    A.N.Another
    A.N.Another

If Fine Gael could persuade the former Tipperary Hurler, Eoin Kelly to stand he would romp home!

Mattie will struggle as he is not as populer as he once was plus the voters in mid and north tipp would not vote for him.

Tom Hayes has a strong enough base out west plus he will gather up the FG votes in other areas.

Alan Kelly is a safe enough bet as well.

Lowry is almost unbackable to get back in.

Is Healy planning to stand again? If he does his power base is very localised to Clonmel which could prove a problem.

So Lowry(Ind), Kelly(Lab), Hayes(FG) I think will get in but unsure about the rest at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

There might be two FG seats but lowery has a vice like grip on one of them. He will take a lot of FG votes North and South. He may be independent but as the election approaches he will be constantly linked to propping up a FG government so the links between him and the party will be highlighted over the coming months which may help FG form the next government but will cost them a second seat in Tipp in the election.

That leaves one seat for FG. That's a straight fight between their two sitting TDs. My bet is Hayes will hold his seat. If party HQ parachute in a new candidate like Eoin Kelly there is still only one seat for them. There is no way FG will in effect take three seats out of five (Lowery, Hayes and an other) with the party down significantly from last time. Hayes won't allow someone be parachuted in to take his seat. There was talk about a year ago that Hayes would take over from Sean Barrett and therefore be returned automatically freeing up the FG vote for someone else. But Barrett seems to have survived the threat to his position so that seems unlikely now.

Alan Kelly is a dead man walking. He is really hated by the South Tipp Labour Party so they won't be going out of their way to help him in the south. Labour are in a serious decline and will be lucky to come back with 3-4 TDs and he won't be one of them unless the whole constituency rally around him.

There is probably a FF seat and it looks like Siobhan Ambrose a main candidate for a nomination. She is popular around Clonmel but no county wide profile. But she takes up a gender quota slot so she is almost certain for a nomination through the convention. There will be one FF candidate from the north but there is no clear candidate for that yet. Michael Smith Jr. wants the nomination but he blotted his copybook when he broke ranks to grab the Deputy Mayor of Tiperary job. There was a meeting of senior party members recently at which they were told he was running as Fianna Fáil or he was running as an independent and they could decide. They basically told him to **** off at that point so he is now unlikely to get through a convention. There is talk of them having two conventions North and South.

The big problem for FF is Mattie. He went on the radio with Claire Byrne and basically said he would rejoin FF after the next election when John McGuinness took over as party leader. He claimed hundreds of party members were begging him to rejoin the party. So that's Mattie playing a clever game. He is positioning himself as FF-lite in the national media so he will pick up FF votes in the North. My bet is he will take the FF seat with Ambrose and AN Other losing out. Ambrose however could get a FF nod for the Senate and be there for the seat when Mattie steps down.

Seamus Healy could be in a real scrap for his seat. He has no profile outside Clonmel and the surrounding villages. He will poll very badly in the north. His base ia also a very left wing vote. If you walk around working class estates you often see Healy stickers in the windows. Sinn Fein could threaten that base. As could the various other small left wing parties (anti-austerity alliance etc).

Sinn Fein are apparently sniffing around for a high profile candidate. Historically they have no real presence in the county but if they can parachute someone in and the party keeps rising in the national polls I think they could take a seat. But it all depends on who they pull out of the hat. There is a seat between Healy and Sinn Fein.

Renua will run a candidate. I hear they have lined up a sitting independent councillor. They have to go through the illusion of sitting up a party and holding a convention but a couple of local cllrs have already told their supporters that they are joining Renua and one of those is likely to be the candidate. The problem is they seem stuck on 1-2% so I can't see them taking a seat.

So my bet for the next election is

Lowery Ind
    Hayes FG
    Mattie Ind
    Healy/Sinn Fein
    And a real dog fight for the last seat between Ambrose, A Kelly, Coonan, and whoever else pops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056966425

Why open up a new thread? were you not banging on about this topic already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

digzy wrote: »

The thread you refer to was opened in June 2013, in hindsight a good deal too early, now that it's getting closer to the election I am sure that there are some posters here who may now wish to express an opinion over the course of the next few months!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

The only candidate that has any chance of a cabinet position is Alan Kelly.
    Lowry would do a deal with anyone to keep them in.

I don't agree with either of them politically but voting for any of the rest is a wasted vote from a Tipperary point of view IMHO . Fair play to any mature voter who decides from a national view as opposed to local.

I find it impossible that a "Clonmel" candidate wouldn't be returned given the size of the place. Its a fair span from roscrea to Carrick.

• Advertisement

digzy wrote: »
    Fair play to any mature voter who decides from a national view as opposed to local.

I would agree with the above statement. Some issues even though they are anchored in particular constituencies in an indirect way impact on the country overall and in particular the taxpayer. I cite the following example,

How many people are aware that there is a proposal on the books to upgrade the N20 from Limerick to Cork as part of the "Atlantic Corridor". As part of this plan traffic from Limerick en route to Rosslare would be diverted through Mallow. This would be done at the expense of upgrading the N24. It makes no sense to add so many additional kilometers between Limerick and Waterford, keep in mind that fuel prices will not always be as low as they are now and that there is a very high volume of commercial traffic between Rosslare Port all the way to Sligo.

It has been famously said that "all politics is local" and with this in mind anyone running for election in Tipperary should keep in mind that the N24 runs from Monard on the far side of Limerick Junction to just beyond Carrick- on-Suir all this stretch of roadway is in County Tipperary.

Just take a look at a map and see how far south you would have to travel to arrive in Waterford via Mallow. It just makes no sense especially when one looks at the dangerous and congested state of the N24 through the towns of Tipperary and Carrick-on-Suir and to some extent Clonmel.

Independent Tipperary South TD Seamus Healy is receiving a pension from the HSE.

Why should he run again as he is also entitled to a Dail pension?

If he runs again I think he should try and join Sinn Fein as they are weak in the constituency overall, he is singing from the same hymn sheet as Sinn Fein.

Let him join Sinn Fein and let him help Sinn Fein to become a main stream party of substance. Healy's Independent base has been virtually wiped out since Clonmel Borough was abolished at the last Local elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The North of the constituency like Lorrha and Obama country :P leaves the constituency

Won't help Alan Kelly at all. I don't think he will be elected even if he is a minister

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The North of the constituency like Lorrha and Obama country :P leaves the constituency

Won't help Alan Kelly at all. I don't think he will be elected even if he is a minister

My point was that it depends on the voters attitude. I'd imagine we'll get fg/lab plus a few independents or Fianna fail next time.
    If you're considering "Tipperary", you want a minister at cabinet. No matter how you look at it politically Kelly being labour 2nd in command is the only one in with a shout. Independents don't get cabinet seats and ff or fg tds will be well down the pecking order. Hayes is junior ag minister. That's as far as he's gonna go.
    On the other hand if you're voting locally people will return Mattie and hayes from South tipp anyway possibly Healy? Hayes would have been at family funerals over the years and I'd say he wouldn't know any of us! That stuff seems to matter to some folks though:confused:

Personally speaking I don't think it matters a jot who gets in.

I agree 100% with Digzys last line...And I hope the only seat Kelly gets,will be from Larry O' Keeffe....

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »

He is working hard in Southern end with a full time staff member employed in an office in a prime location in Clonmel.

I agree 100% with Digzys last line...And I hope the only seat Kelly gets,will be from Larry O' Keeffe....

Of course it matters, on the other hand they are all on ego trips, no difference between the ego trip of Hilary Clinton and Alan Kelly, it's just a matter of some egos being more intelligent than others!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

touts wrote: »
    There might be two FG seats but lowery has a vice like grip on one of them. He will take a lot of FG votes North and South. He may be independent but as the election approaches he will be constantly linked to propping up a FG government so the links between him and the party will be highlighted over the coming months which may help FG form the next government but will cost them a second seat in Tipp in the election.

That leaves one seat for FG. That's a straight fight between their two sitting TDs. My bet is Hayes will hold his seat. If party HQ parachute in a new candidate like Eoin Kelly there is still only one seat for them. There is no way FG will in effect take three seats out of five (Lowery, Hayes and an other) with the party down significantly from last time. Hayes won't allow someone be parachuted in to take his seat. There was talk about a year ago that Hayes would take over from Sean Barrett and therefore be returned automatically freeing up the FG vote for someone else. But Barrett seems to have survived the threat to his position so that seems unlikely now..
    Agree one seat for FG. coonan waiting to see if FF run Smith if they do , he wont stand, if they don't then he will.
    Alan Kelly is a dead man walking. He is really hated by the South Tipp Labour Party so they won't be going out of their way to help him in the south. Labour are in a serious decline and will be lucky to come back with 3-4 TDs and he won't be one of them unless the whole constituency rally around him.
    Agree, the candidate from Roscrea in locals that almost made it has left labour. Kelly despised in North End as well as south.Also a large part around Nenagh gone into Offaly
    There is probably a FF seat and it looks like Siobhan Ambrose a main candidate for a nomination. She is popular around Clonmel but no county wide profile. But she takes up a gender quota slot so she is almost certain for a nomination through the convention. There will be one FF candidate from the north but there is no clear candidate for that yet. Michael Smith Jr. wants the nomination but he blotted his copybook when he broke ranks to grab the Deputy Mayor of Tiperary job. There was a meeting of senior party members recently at which they were told he was running as Fianna Fáil or he was running as an independent and they could decide. They basically told him to **** off at that point so he is now unlikely to get through a convention.

This did not happen, Smith didn't tell anyone that he would stand as independant. Also that is untrue with regard to the "Deputy Mayor of Tiperary job." there was a shaft done with regard to the Chairman of the Thurles/ Templemore area, Smith was nominated by the non FF/Fg members came to a tie and he voted for himself.
    Will be a very interesting convention and will largely depend on one for whole of tipp or one for North and one for south, if the latter will be a straight fight between smith and cahil for nomination- hanifin has pulled out and hogan has as much chance as yogi bear.

The big problem for FF is Mattie. He went on the radio with Claire Byrne and basically said he would rejoin FF after the next election when John McGuinness took over as party leader. He claimed hundreds of party members were begging him to rejoin the party. So that's Mattie playing a clever game. He is positioning himself as FF-lite in the national media so he will pick up FF votes in the North. My bet is he will take the FF seat with Ambrose and AN Other losing out. Ambrose however could get a FF nod for the Senate and be there for the seat when Mattie steps down.

Thing is Mattie has very little support up North, and Lowery will eat into the independent vote down south
    Seamus Healy could be in a real scrap for his seat. He has no profile outside Clonmel and the surrounding villages. He will poll very badly in the north. His base ia also a very left wing vote. If you walk around working class estates you often see Healy stickers in the windows. Sinn Fein could threaten that base. As could the various other small left wing parties (anti-austerity alliance etc).

Sinn Fein are apparently sniffing around for a high profile candidate. Historically they have no real presence in the county but if they can parachute someone in and the party keeps rising in the national polls I think they could take a seat. But it all depends on who they pull out of the hat. There is a seat between Healy and Sinn Fein.

Agree Sinn Fein will be there or there abouts for a seat, did well in locals in all areas, whether or not vote was for the person or the party will be interesting, cant see healy making it.
    Renua will run a candidate. I hear they have lined up a sitting independent Councillor. They have to go through the illusion of sitting up a party and holding a convention but a couple of local cllrs have already told their supporters that they are joining Renua and one of those is likely to be the candidate. The problem is they seem stuck on 1-2% so I can't see them taking a seat.
    So my bet for the next election is

Lowery Ind
    Hayes FG
    Mattie Ind
    Healy/Sinn Fein
    And a real dog fight for the last seat between Ambrose, A Kelly, Coonan, and whoever else pops up.

My bet is
    Lowry
    hayes
    Smith
    Mattie
    and dog fight for last seat between Shin Fein/ Healy and Kelly with Sinn Fein taking it.

jem wrote: »
    This did not happen, Smith didn't tell anyone that he would stand as independant. Also that is untrue with regard to the "Deputy Mayor of Tiperary job." there was a shaft done with regard to the Chairman of the Thurles/ Templemore area, Smith was nominated by the non FF/Fg members came to a tie and he voted for himself.
    Will be a very interesting convention and will largely depend on one for whole of tipp or one for North and one for south, if the latter will be a straight fight between smith and cahil for nomination- hanifin has pulled out and hogan has as much chance as yogi bear

Unfortunately for Smith it did happen. It wasn't Smith himself who said it but I have it from two FF people who were at the CDC constituency meeting where it was put to the meeting by a person VERY close to Smith in those blunt terms. The quote from both of them was "he'll run for Fianna Fáil or he'll run as an independent. You decide". It went down very badly at the meeting among representatives from North and South. His only chance of a nomination is from HQ and after the Chairman thing he is unlikely to get that as they will not want to be seen to reward disloyalty. Smith allowed himself to get played by the Lowery camp who dangled a carrot of a made up meaningless title in front of him and now he is in trouble.

Unfortunately for Smith it did happen. It wasn't Smith himself who said it but I have it from two FF people who were at the CDC constituency meeting where it was put to the meeting by a person VERY close to Smith in those blunt terms. The quote from both of them was "he'll run for Fianna Fáil or he'll run as an independent. You decide". It went down very badly at the meeting among representatives from North and South. His only chance of a nomination is from HQ and after the Chairman thing he is unlikely to get that as they will not want to be seen to reward disloyalty. Smith allowed himself to get played by the Lowery camp who dangled a carrot of a made up meaningless title in front of him and now he is in trouble.

Unfortunatly, your source is either telling you porkies, spinning you or has very poor memory.
    I was at the last cdc for ff in Tipperary in the Ragg and it didn't happen. I have also made inquiries form others who also say that it didn't happen.
    perhaps someone is very worried that the biggest FF vote getter in Tipperary will get the nomination and the seat.

jem wrote: »
    Unfortunatly, your source is either telling you porkies, spinning you or has very poor memory.
    I was at the last cdc for ff in Tipperary in the Ragg and it didn't happen. I have also made inquiries form others who also say that it didn't happen.
    perhaps someone is very worried that the biggest FF vote getter in Tipperary will get the nomination and the seat.

Well I'm not a member of FF and I don't have a horse in this race so I'll bow to your clear knowledge on this.

But certainly down around Clonmel and Carrick on Suir Fianna Fail people maintain this happened and think Smith has blown his chances of a nomination so next time you are talking to him you might want to advise your mate that he is in a spot of bother for the nomination.

What will be interesting is whether or not there is two or one convention.
    have said since hogan decided to scrap north Tipp and south Tipp and make one that Smith's hardest bit would be getting the nomination. Get that and he will win seat.
    Interesting times ahead in Tipp.

Alan Kelly is a dead man walking. He is really hated by the South Tipp Labour Party so they won't be going out of their way to help him in the south.

That was a good input and much appreciated even though I am not familiar with all the detail.

South Tipperary has no Labour organisation, he will be elected on a personal vote based on his ability.

It is almost beyond comprehension that the Labour Party should have run Phil Prendergast in the last European Election. My guess is on that day she would have been hard pressed to get a seat on Tipperary County Council.

Kelly's competence is beyond question and I am sure his profile will be raised over the next few months.

Interesting that Kelly's office in Clonmel is just across the street from where the Labour Party was founded.

Mattie McGrath is urging a NO vote in the forthcoming Marriage Equality Referendum. He must be the only Politician in the country doing so. I hope he does not expect to get the votes of the young and not so young voters.

Mattie being the wily old fox that he is knows that there are plenty of conservative and church led people around to elect him.

I wonder if he was ever at the funeral of a young gay person who died by suicide, he well knows that many young people have committed suicide as a result of not being able to deal with the stigma and the perceived shame and guilt associated with being born gay.

I urge the electors, young and not so young people of Tipperary to skip past his name on the Ballot Paper in the next General Election.

Kelly: €312m social housing plan is just the first trancheLISTEN: Every local authority is due to get a cut of the funding

Every local authority in the country is set to benefit from a new €312m social housing plan.

The government has unveiled the latest phase of it housing strategy, worth a total of €4bn.

Some 1,700 new homes are set to be completed by 2017.

Some projects will only bring forward a small number of homes, but some councils in the Dublin area will use the money to fund projects of more than 50 units.

An estimated 300 jobs will also be provided in the construction phases of the developments.

The announcement is part of the first phase of 'direct-build' under the government's social housing strategy, which aims to bring 35,000 units on-stream by 2020.

The target is to bring housing waiting lists down by a quarter over the next two years.

Speaking in Clonmel to Tipp FM, the Environment Minister Alan Kelly said there will be further announcements in the months ahead.

I saw Alan Kelly on the TV news last night announce on site, 20 social housing units fo Clonmel in the Glenconnor area. Say what you like nobody other than a Cabinet Minister, certainly no Independent T.D. could have this influence.

Kelly will work Clonmel to the bone to assure he will be re-elected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭TheCowboy

Kelly: €312m social housing plan is just the first trancheLISTEN: Every local authority is due to get a cut of the funding

Every local authority in the country is set to benefit from a new €312m social housing plan.

The government has unveiled the latest phase of it housing strategy, worth a total of €4bn.

Some projects will only bring forward a small number of homes, but some councils in the Dublin area will use the money to fund projects of more than 50 units.

An estimated 300 jobs will also be provided in the construction phases of the developments.

The announcement is part of the first phase of 'direct-build' under the government's social housing strategy, which aims to bring 35,000 units on-stream by 2020.

The target is to bring housing waiting lists down by a quarter over the next two years.

Speaking in Clonmel to Tipp FM, the Environment Minister Alan Kelly said there will be further announcements in the months ahead.

I saw Alan Kelly on the TV news last night announce on site, 20 social housing units fo Clonmel in the Glenconnor area. Say what you like nobody other than a Cabinet Minister, certainly no Independent T.D. could have this influence.

Kelly will work Clonmel to the bone to assure he will be re-elected.[/QUOTE
    You sound like kellys pr man.he won't be forgotten for Irish water champagne socialist that he is

Kelly will work Clonmel to the bone to assure he will be re-elected.

Only a cabinet minister could get 20 houses into Clonmel???? That's setting the bar a little low. As we saw in recent years any chancer with a couple of diggers and a bank loan could build 20 houses. Come back to me when he gets 20 businesses into Clonmel.

Anyway the general media reaction to yesterday's announcement seems to be broadly "too little too late". By lunchtime the headlines had changed to focus on Fr Peter McVerry calling it "insignificant". Now I think that was harsh (McVerry does a lot of very good work but I'd like to hear him say thank you to the hard pressed taxpayer even just once) but it was how the story evolved so I actually think Kelly came out of yesterday's announcement with a little more of his Teflon scraped off.

Only a cabinet minister could get 20 houses into Clonmel???? That's setting the bar a little low. As we saw in recent years any chancer with a couple of diggers and a bank loan could build 20 houses. Come back to me when he gets 20 businesses into Clonmel.

Anyway the general media reaction to yesterday's announcement seems to be broadly "too little too late". By lunchtime the headlines had changed to focus on Fr Peter McVerry calling it "insignificant". Now I think that was harsh (McVerry does a lot of very good work but I'd like to hear him say thank you to the hard pressed taxpayer even just once) but it was how the story evolved so I actually think Kelly came out of yesterday's announcement with a little more of his Teflon scraped off.
    they are not even certain - subject to planning

TheCowboy wrote: »
    they are not even certain - subject to planning

All building is subject to planning. Kelly knows just how many working class votes there are in the Clonmel area. Just watch him work the Clonmel area over the next few months.....:).... and good luck to him.

All building is subject to planning. Kelly knows just how many working class votes there are in the Clonmel area. Just watch him work the Clonmel area over the next few months.....:).... and good luck to him.
    you are obsessed with the working class going round estates to see who has healy stickers in the windows. you also seem to think you are in some way superior to what you call "working class"
    All building is subject to planning.
    i know that. but the point is they may not get planning permission so the houses are not even certain. Another labour pseudo promise

TheCowboy wrote: »
    you are obsessed with the working class going round estates to see who has healy stickers in the windows. you also seem to think you are in some way superior to what you call "working class"

Your ridiculous statements do not merit a reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Your ridiculous statements do not merit a reply!

Why did you reply then ??:confused::confused::confused:

Vizzy wrote: »
    Why did you reply then ?

A reply without substance is really a non reply. Certain allegations are best left not to go totally ignored. For example your own post!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

the point about Eoin Kelly romping home, should he run, is a good one - there is a stagnant little pool of personalities there for the new constituency - even though its late in the day, a person with a bit of a profile could still crash the party in an area like Tipp.

Sure Mick Wallace only announce he would run 3 weeks out and he topped the poll.

• Advertisement

Mattie McGrath has shown himself to be out of touch with the electorate and especially out of touch with young people.

Despite his high media profile campaign for a NO vote Tipperary voted as follows in the Marriage Equality Referendum.

Tipperary South 56.12% Yes

Tipperary North 54.68% Yes

Advertisement