Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bike Scheme thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

What they should do now is offer shopping centers the opportunity to "host" a bike stand. Most shopping centres are already stragically located near residential areas and it could bring them more business. Someone commuting home from town could lock the bike and pick up a few groceries instead of driving direct to their front door. Also people in the city center could cycle out to the shopping centers as there's limited options in town.

A few good locations;
    • Dunnes @ Westside
    • Dunnes @ Knocknacarra
    • Dunnes @ Terryland
    • Joyces @ Knocknacarra
    • Tesco Express @ Headford Rd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    So you knew the sensor doesn't work for bikes but to prove a point you just stay there?

I'm very law-abiding when cycling: stopping for red lights, not cycling on the footpath, using hand signals, lit up at night, going with the flow of traffic etc. Heck, I even have a bell. Ding ding. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I'm very law-abiding when cycling: stopping for red lights, not cycling on the footpath, using hand signals, lit up at night, going with the flow of traffic etc. Heck, I even have a bell. Ding ding. :)

You fail to acknowledge my point. Sounds like you knew the sensor doesn't work for bikes, so rather than let a car activate the sensor you parked your bike on it to prove a point.

The removal of all of the bike locking stands at Mainguard Street is really annoying. :mad:

Have they replaced bike stands elsewhere with these new bikes? There are a hell of a lot more private owners than the 195 Coke Zero bikes who need somewhere not annoying to the public to chain their bikes to.

You've just reminded me of a very important point.

The CZ bikes do not have locks. Apparently the combination locks originally sourced by the operators were not satisfactory, and they are still looking for something that meets the required spec. Consequently the scheme has been rolled out without the combination locks provided.

https://www.bikeshare.ie/how-to-hire-and-return-a-coca-cola-zero-bike.html

If someone hires a bike and leaves it somewhere without locking it, and then it's stolen, the user is liable for any loss.

Therefore users should either provide their own lock, park only at the docking stations, or else avoid leaving their CZ bike unattended.

J o e wrote: »
    What they should do now is offer shopping centers the opportunity to "host" a bike stand. Most shopping centres are already stragically located near residential areas and it could bring them more business. Someone commuting home from town could lock the bike and pick up a few groceries instead of driving direct to their front door. Also people in the city center could cycle out to the shopping centers as there's limited options in town.

See above re locking.

I spoke to one of the An Rothar Nua (ARN) reps about the one-way streets issue. In response he made the general point that the scheme is envisioned as a means of accessing the city from the outskirts to the centre. It seems they expect that people -- motorists especially, perhaps -- will pick up a bike on the 'periphery' and use it to get around the city centre. Does that make sense given the location of docking stations?

you parked your bike on it .

Nope.

• Advertisement

Nope.

Call it what you want your op clearly states this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

A few good locations;
    • Dunnes @ Westside
    • Dunnes @ Knocknacarra
    • Dunnes @ Terryland
    • Joyces @ Knocknacarra
    • Tesco Express @ Headford Rd

Bikes would really need to have baskets then. I am dissapointed that the current bikes dont have a proper basket.

Also where is the bike stand station going down at GTI? (I dont know - genuine question.)

I noticed the "Father Griffin Road" stand is now called the "Father Burke Road" stand on the Bike Share site. Have ground works started around here yet?
    Bikes would really need to have baskets then. I am dissapointed that the current bikes dont have a proper basket.

They do have a basket. I don't know what qualifies it as "proper" but it looks usable.
    329430.jpg

See above re locking.

When I said lock the bike I meant into the bike stand. The pricing plan is designed to return the bikes after every short trip and re-hire again when you need them.

If the docking station is close enough to where people want to go then that's the ideal place to park, for cost-saving reasons if nothing else.

However, people who want or need to park their bike elsewhere need to be aware that they have no lock, for now.

• Advertisement

@Mods can we have the sub thread on traffic lights from Crumbs868 moved to cycling and walking in the city?

I noticed the "Father Griffin Road" stand is now called the "Father Burke Road" stand on the Bike Share site. Have ground works started around here yet?

It was fenced off last week certainly
    They do have a basket. I don't know what qualifies it as "proper" but it looks usable.

Id be thinking of something bigger, closer to the size of a supermarket shopping basket. Something you could put at least a folded coat and a large handbag into - and be sure they wouldnt bounce out.

I am not sure if the current arrangement meets that requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

It's not a sub thread. It's hair pulling, and it looks like it's done.

Now, more about cycling on coke.....

.... zero bikes,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Saw a few of them being cycled up Eglinton Street yesterday evening, not sure whether they were reps using them or members of the public. They certainly stand out anyway with those lights on the wheels.

Was interesting to see people giving out on the Advertiser Facebook page about the Coke Zero sponsorship of the scheme. It's a bit ironic alright but hardly something to get angry about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What happens if I take a bike from one docking station, but when I get to my destination there are no empty docks for my bike? Am I supposed to circle endlessly, looking for a space?

Zzippy wrote: »
    What happens if I take a bike from one docking station, but when I get to my destination there are no empty docks for my bike? Am I supposed to circle endlessly, looking for a space?

Yep, or check the app (not yet released) or website for spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

That is the argument for why they are all so close together. If every one tries to use the same stand there will be another stand within easy walking distance to put the bike back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yep, or check the app (not yet released) or website for spaces.

The display on the stand tells you which are the nearest stands, and how many free spaces they have. So you should be able to make an accurate assessment of where to try.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That's a motorist mindset right there!:cool:

According to ARN, the number of stands and their proximity to each other are important factors in the viability of shared bike schemes. One of the reasons SmartBike failed in Washington DC was too few stations: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/housingcomplex/2010/09/16/r-i-p-smartbike-good-riddance/

Availability of parking spaces also depends on turnover. As I was leaving yesterday two cyclists arrived from Fairgreen, but the station at the bottom of the Square was full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

The App is now available on iOS "bikeshare.ie"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

In Dublin, you get an extra few minutes free if the bike station you return to is not free. Is this the case in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

In Dublin, you get an extra few minutes free if the bike station you return to is not free. Is this the case in Galway?

Is that really true? I mean when I bring it back and it's full, I just keep on cycling to the next station, so they have no record of me having met with a full station. Is there a way to stop and register that it's full?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭thesandeman

If every one tries to use the same stand there will be another stand within easy walking distance to put the bike back.

Do you not mean cycling distance?

Do you not mean cycling distance?

No walking distance so you aren't too far from your original destination when you Park in a different spot. The major complaint is how close they all are together and this is the only answer i could find

No walking distance so you aren't too far from your original destination when you Park in a different spot. The major complaint is how close they all are together and this is the only answer i could find

This is the idea. If your first station of choice is full you can go to one nearby, put back the bike, and still be within walking distance of the original station.

A question I would have is if there is anything stopping you from swopping bikes?

So if I have already had one for 25 mins I when arrive at a full station. Do I have to wait for a slot to come free?

Or can I take a new bike and put the old one in that slot and get another free half hour?

in dublin they have a van assigned to move bikes between stations from an overcrowded station to an empty station, anyone know if it's the same in galway or is it too small scale?

This is the idea. If your first station of choice is full you can go to one nearby, put back the bike, and still be within walking distance of the original station.

A question I would have is if there is anything stopping you from swopping bikes?

So if I have already had one for 25 mins I when arrive at a full station. Do I have to wait for a slot to come free?

Or can I take a new bike and put the old one in that slot and get another free half hour?

I would assume only 1 rental is allowed at a time so you have to return the first bike before getting a second.

But i haven't seen anywhere there is a minimum amount of time between 2 rentals. Maybe it's buried in the terms and conditions but I'm not going to that much effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

in dublin they have a van assigned to move bikes between stations from an overcrowded station to an empty station, anyone know if it's the same in galway or is it too small scale?

Well there's at least one lad employed to work on them 40 hours/week - I'd guess they will have a relocation approach. Dunno if it involves a van.

• Advertisement

There was a shiny 142 reg Coke Zero truck with bike stands at the back driving around yesterday anyway. Presumably that'll be hanging around and not just delivering the initial batch of bikes.

Advertisement