Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

When some of you were asked for exam transcripts, is that the written exam you done at the time of the exam?

I always thought those transcripts were strictly private, I remember when I wanted to view one of mine a member of staff had to be in the class with me and i was not allowed to write on it or even barely touch it.

No, different to this! It’s a list of all subjects / exams taken during your time in college with your grade listed for each (and your overall award).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    No, different to this! It’s a list of all subjects / exams taken during your time in college with your grade listed for each (and your overall award).

ahhh thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Thanks all for your replies. I have my scroll alright so I might chance that, its just the request was very specific about past exam transcripts. I will also try the log in, although I may have trouble remembering my details as it was so long ago now! Yes totally understandable that there is no one answering phones and that email is a bit slow at the moment due to current restrictions, just a little worried as springboard provider said have it back in 7 days.

My wife applied for her transcripts from TUD, it took them a week to come back to her and she was told they cant find them online and there is nobody in the college to access them. Dont know what happens now. Not great though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

My wife applied for her transcripts from TUD, it took them a week to come back to her and she was told they cant find them online and there is nobody in the college to access them. Dont know what happens now. Not great though

Does she know her results?

They can assess her on that assumption and then get confirmation afterwards.

I submitted screenshots of mine. And should they need the official ones I will get them on foot of an acceptance. No point delaying to be told know.

---

Is anyone else getting emails asking to upload stuff etc that you have already submitted?

It's driving my internal admin-nazi insane. I'm ex-public sector. I don't mess with life administration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

ballybro wrote: »
    I applied for a level 8 course in NUIG and have been asked to provide a personal statement (500 words max ) .
    This makes me wonder have they been oversubscribed .Im already working in the industry of the course and have a level 7 qualification so its definately a relevant course for me .Just wondering what i need to mention in this statement .

I got the same from NUIG and agree with another poster that the request for a personal statement is probably to weed out people. That said, I don't think the requirements for some NUIG courses were set up properly first day as it allowed me to apply for at least one without supplying any kind of supporting documents (like identification). I got an email afterwards looking for this as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Vetch wrote: »
    I got the same from NUIG and agree with another poster that the request for a personal statement is probably to weed out people. That said, I don't think the requirements for some NUIG courses were set up properly first day as it allowed me to apply for at least one without supplying any kind of supporting documents (like identification). I got an email afterwards looking for this as well.

Same here, no section for personal statement for an NUIG course. The deadline for mine is 30th July and the admin person indicated they won't let people know if they've been accepted until after that. In two minds whether to look at other courses as a back up but it might be too late now

cefh17 wrote: »
    Same here, no section for personal statement for an NUIG course. The deadline for mine is 30th July and the admin person indicated they won't let people know if they've been accepted until after that. In two minds whether to look at other courses as a back up but it might be too late now

Always look at other courses as back up. Always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭oleras

You need to be on an eligible payment for 9 months of the previous 12 BEFORE the course starts.

So I've been on JA since January 1st, so my 9 months doesn't finish til September 30th. Course starts on September 7th.

How does this work for someone not entitled to any social welfare, eg still living at home with parents ?

Son finished college just now and no jobs out there atm, wondering if he could apply for these to keep him busy/upskill?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I applied to an NUIG course too and the personal statement was there in application uploads. I didn't apply until last weekend so maybe it wasn't there before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I applied to an NUIG course too and the personal statement was there in application uploads. I didn't apply until last weekend so maybe it wasn't there before hand.

I looked at a few courses and think the documents upload facility might have been there for some. Unsure though as I was looking around at different colleges. For the particular course I applied for, the email I got from NUIG said the system hadn't been working properly but was fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I looked at a few courses and think the documents upload facility might have been there for some. Unsure though as I was looking around at different colleges. For the particular course I applied for, the email I got from NUIG said the system hadn't been working properly but was fixed.

Makes sense. I've only applied to the one course so hopefully I get it, it was the only one that seemed to fit my needs in terms of fitting it around work from the descriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Do you get an email if you are unsuccessful or does your status on springboard just update to something negative

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Do you get an email if you are unsuccessful or does your status on springboard just update to something negative
    you get an email that it was unsuccessful

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

Can anyone tell me if level 6 courses are free to people in employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Can anyone tell me if level 6 courses are free to people in employment?

Yea all level 6 courses are free

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

oleras wrote: »
    How does this work for someone not entitled to any social welfare, eg still living at home with parents ?

Son finished college just now and no jobs out there atm, wondering if he could apply for these to keep him busy/upskill?

He won’t be able to do one. You need to either be working or in receipt of some type of social welfare payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭oleras

He won’t be able to do one. You need to either be working or in receipt of some type of social welfare payment.

Makes sense, all i have to do is ask him to move out, start claiming 200/week sw and get them to pay another 100/week towards a room, cost the state 15k/year when he can live at home for free :pac:

Tough time to be a recent graduate unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

some of the courses dont require any additional documentation. ie dont need to provide evidence of past courses completed. Dont need to set out why you are applying. So how do they decide. Will the course provider contact us directly and ask for this information.

anyone know if the courses have filled up. i only applied an hour ago. was it in vain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

some of the courses dont require any additional documentation. ie dont need to provide evidence of past courses completed. Dont need to set out why you are applying. So how do they decide. Will the course provider contact us directly and ask for this information.

anyone know if the courses have filled up. i only applied an hour ago. was it in vain?

It depends. I applied to Sligo, they didn't require additional documentation with the initial application, but they asked for transcripts after reviewing my initial application and then proof of employment when I accepted the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

It depends. I applied to Sligo, they didn't require additional documentation with the initial application, but they asked for transcripts after reviewing my initial application and then proof of employment when I accepted the course.

thanks uptherebels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Same as me -

Quick question any idea how I would get around the utility bill Request

I have no bills at all in my name only bank statement - sent them bank statement to see if that will do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭py

DCU are hosting a webinar for anyone interested in applying for their courses. It's on this Thursday 16th July at 7pm. Details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 woofwoof123

Hi Guys,

I have been offered a place by IT Sligo for a level 8 Certificate in Medical Technologies Regulatory Affairs & Quality. I am waiting to hear back from Innopharma about their Higher Diploma in BioPharmaceutical and Medical Device Manufacturing. Has anyone any experience on either of these two courses? Finding it hard to decide on which one to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Received an offer today from DBS for a Higher Diploma in Science in Computing - delighted. Need to work out the evenings with work before accepting, though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Does anyone know if I don't accept a course, will that disqualify me to apply next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Confused on which offer to accept: I never thought I’d be in this position................

Master of Arts in Creative Digital Media - UX and Interaction Design

or

Higher Diploma in Science in Digital Marketing

Does anyone know if I don't accept a course, will that disqualify me to apply next year?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Received an offer today from DBS for a Higher Diploma in Science in Computing - delighted. Need to work out the evenings with work before accepting, though
    whats that now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

You could accept the course and defer it for a year as far as I am aware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Did your wife get sorted?

I filled out the online form multiple times and kept emailing everyone I could think of/every email I could find even vaguely associated with my school/course
    In the end I was able to find my student number on some random notes from years ago so logged in to that (thanks to advice here!) , reset my pin and took screenshots of results and sent those.

After I did all that TUD eventually got back to me with the transcipts but I don't know whether it was the forms or the many emails that worked!

Got my first choice anyway in IT sligo so all worked out OK

Advertisement