Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

lleti wrote: »
    Yep true. Weather today was worse than during the week, good job I wasn't driving or it would be dangerous but not a weather warning in sight!

I drove home this evening + roads were very dangerous. The main road to Donabate/ Lusk had very bad flooding in certain lanes. I slowed down in my lane but idiot beside flew through it + so much water thrown up on my windscreen for 2/3 sec I couldn't see out.

That could easily cause an accident. Why wasn't there weather warning about today. It's a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Last storm my bench outside got knocked backwards. This time an old fence panel fell over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Kamili wrote: »
    I can't understand why they went all out on this, when they're screaming about being broke and not getting enough licence fees etc. It was actually embarrassing.

I'd say they were praying for a bad storm so they could say afterwards, "what about our great reporting of it, now you know we deserve that extra e50mill we're looking for".

In hindsight, it looks like they sent loads of reporters and crews out all over the country at great expense, and end up looking more like money wasters than they ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Last storm my bench outside got knocked backwards. This time an old fence panel fell over.

Your bins will fall over next lad.. be careful out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Storm in a teacup Lorenzo was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Well I remember the days when we got no warnings red or yellow or any other colour . We had to look out the window to know it was stormy and when the neighbours patio table landed in our garden we knew it was fierce!

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Well I remember the days when we got no warnings red or yellow or any other colour . We had to look out the window to know it was stormy and when the neighbours patio table landed in our garden we knew it was fierce!

Two things happened that allowed the sensationalism to take over - switching from mph to kph & introduction of the colour-coded warning systems. Culminating in RTÉ fuelling a near hysteria on Thursday, dispatching numerous reporters to breezy shores at considerable expense. You'll end up with a "boy who cried wolf" scenario when people inevitably start ignoring the daft hyperbole. With lives possibly endangered, and the same irresponsible media deflecting all blame to Met Éireann. Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Two things happened that allowed the sensationalism to take over - switching from mph to kph & introduction of the colour-coded warning systems. Culminating in RTÉ fuelling a near hysteria on Thursday, dispatching numerous reporters to breezy shores at considerable expense. You'll end up with a "boy who cried wolf" scenario when people inevitably start ignoring the daft hyperbole. With lives possibly endangered, and the same irresponsible media deflecting all responsibility to Met Éireann. Rinse and repeat.

Exactly what we said here “ The boy who cried wolf “ will cause lives the next time

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    It's amazing that we managed to survive the weather pre warnings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd say they were praying for a bad storm so they could say afterwards, "what about our great reporting of it, now you know we deserve that extra e50mill we're looking for".

In hindsight, it looks like they sent loads of reporters and crews out all over the country at great expense, and end up looking more like money wasters than they ever did.

As someone on the radio said, tv ratings go mad when things like this happen. So they probably wanted the ratings to claim to RTE they're in such demand and so vital they need more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

Yes they went too far and there was no going back, the boy who called wolf will certainly occur .. law of averages we will get a really severe storm with all the usual warnings but will the general public show the respect warranted to these warnings?
    This could happen another four times this winter.
    But what do you do. Media coverage means viewers and more of the green.
    Unfortunately until someone gets seriously hurt or some serious occurance happens.
    It will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

teednab-el wrote: »
    Storm in a teacup Lorenzo was.

great song ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It makes sense to ignore media coverage after this farce but If still follow met eireann's forecasts and warnings-which were proportionate and accurate. It seems like people barely differentiate between the hype on news stations and what met Eireann actually said.

It makes sense to ignore media coverage after this farce but If still follow met eireann's forecasts and warnings-which were proportionate and accurate. It seems like people barely differentiate between the hype on news stations and what met Eireann actually said.

Met Eireann issued "warnings". Many people are confused and differentiate between different colours. If they wanted to avoid scare mongering there is an easy enough solution. Get rid of warnings for normal weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Met Eireann issued "warnings". Many people are confused and differentiate between different colours. If they wanted to avoid scare mongering there is an easy enough solution. Get rid of warnings for normal weather.
    Which suggests that the warnings themselves do not clearly communicate what they are intended for. I think they need to fine-tune them, especially the lowest one.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Which suggests that the warnings themselves do not clearly communicate what they are intended for. I think they need to fine-tune them, especially the lowest one.

How about. *There's a chance there might be a bit of rain" instead of WARNING WARNING YELLOW ALERT

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    How about. *There's a chance there might be a bit of rain" instead of WARNING WARNING YELLOW ALERT
    Yeah, it's the fact that the actual forecast gets completely lost in the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Met Eireann should have made sure they stopped calling it an ex hurricane that's where the media jumped in, they should have called it storm Lorenzo from the start and insisted that RTE etc used this, George Lee went to town on the word hurricane with waves as big as a three story house heading for the West coast going to destroy the coast and storm force winds bringing down trees and power lines with flooding etc ,he frightened the life out of people who had no idea about the storm and he should have been taken to task over his wild comments. Also Met Eireann should have kept updating the website they put up the Amber warnings and the forecast at 12.19 on the Thursday was never touched all day long, they should have been updating this all day when they knew what was going on and coming on the 9pm news and extending the warnings until 6am with wind gusts of 130kph gave people the impression they were in for one hell of a night when at that time people on here were saying it was losing its intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭jackboy

George lee showed himself to be a trash journalist who makes entertainment a priority over truthful reporting. He should not be let report on the weather again. Rte have plenty good meteorologists who could do those segments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

jackboy wrote: »
    George lee showed himself to be a trash journalist who makes entertainment a priority over truthful reporting. He should not be let report on the weather again. Rte have plenty good meteorologists who could do those segments.

You do know that Met Eireann meteorologists are not RTE employees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭jackboy

You do know that Met Eireann meteorologists are not RTE employees?

Well they do the weather forecasts for rte. They could either do the quick pieces on the news (instead of the ones that George lee butchers) or the weather forecast could be longer, including a bit of discussion.

At the moment the drama of the hyped up rte reports completely overshadows the weather forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Fairly windy here tonight in Kerry, didn’t see or hear any warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

fin12 wrote: »
    Fairly windy here tonight in Kerry, didn’t see or hear any warnings.

Here you go. From the met.ie website "Southerly winds will reach gale force early tonight on Irish coastal waters from Valentia to Slyne Head to Malin Head, and from Malin Head to Howth Head to Carnsore Point and for the Irish Sea tomorrow morning."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Here you go. From the met.ie website "Southerly winds will reach gale force early tonight on Irish coastal waters from Valentia to Slyne Head to Malin Head, and from Malin Head to Howth Head to Carnsore Point and for the Irish Sea tomorrow morning."

So surely deserving of a yellow warning at least, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just wondering, what's the point in being a windsurfer if everyone has a go at you when you go surfing in the wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Thanks I didn’t get a wink of sleep last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The point about weather forecasters now being reluctant to use their own intuition in the current namby pampy state we are in is a good one. The reality is the public will soon become dismissive of warnings if we have people like George Flee( sorry Lee) warning of the day after tomorrow everytime we get a bit of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Maybe they should have George just reading out the deaths or something, he has the voice and tone for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭KildareP

Just wondering, what's the point in being a windsurfer if everyone has a go at you when you go surfing in the wind!

For the same reason as if a qualified driving instructor decides to go for a spin in snow drifts up the Sally Gap :P

• Advertisement

There hasn't been a weather warning now for nearly two weeks. Very unusual. Has Met Eireann reconsidered the alarmist scare tactics it uses in light of the damage to it's reputation and standing after Storm Lorenzo?

Advertisement