Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gas or Electric Over & Hob

Options
  • 26-09-2010 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

The lady and myself are buying a house and so need to decide on an oven and hob. Which is more economical to cool with, gas or electric. The house is gas heated if that makes any difference.

Many thanks for all and any replies.

Comments

I'm not sure what is more economical (and I'm not sure how I ended up in this forum!) but I would go for a gas hob every time. There's heat when you want heat, and it cools down when you tell it too, not a few minutes later. Definitely would never go for electric hob.

On the other hand I would always go for an electric oven as I find the heat is more equally distributed which means better cooking.

Can't beat toast from a gas grill though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Is it possible to have an electric oven and a gas hob? I do agree that a gas hob is best for cooking.......... I'm just trying to be a stingy git in the short term until we buld up some cash reserves again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

a gas hob is best for cooking..........
    if i had a choice.........then the above is all id need to hear to convince me to get a gas hob and oven.

regards UF

yep it is possible! that's what I have, but they are integrated separately. Will you have that option? Yes it's pretty expensive buying a new house :(

yep it is possible! that's what I have, but they are integrated separately. Will you have that option? Yes it's pretty expensive buying a new house :(

I believe the house is setup for both so I guess I will!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Is it possible to have an electric oven and a gas hob? I do agree that a gas hob is best for cooking.......... I'm just trying to be a stingy git in the short term until we buld up some cash reserves again.
    Is it a free standing one or a built in cooker you'd have in? Very few brands do duel fuel free standing cookers at the moment(assuming that's what you're looking for) bar the range style cookers,but zanussi do a duel fuel one to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

One advantage of an electric (ceramic/halogen) hob is that they are so much easier to clean than gas. Modern halogen hobs heat up pretty damn quickly as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

what about an induction hob? has anyone used one.

greetings wrote: »
    Is it a free standing one or a built in cooker you'd have in? Very few brands do duel fuel free standing cookers at the moment(assuming that's what you're looking for) bar the range style cookers,but zanussi do a duel fuel one to the best of my knowledge.

Hmnnn I'm sorry to say I don't know exactly. There is a big gap where the cooker/hob would be. I guess I'll need to look at an all in one rather than seperates. What's the norm for a new build house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

What I meant is:Will it have legs on the bottom with a hob on top?As in,you can simply move it as it stands.
    Or will it be built into the cabinets,with a hob on the counter top?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

what about an induction hob? has anyone used one.

We've an induction hob -- the speed and control of gas with the easy-clean of a flat hob. They're also much safer - if you don't have a pan on the hob, it won't get hot, and even if you do have one on it, it'll never get as hot as with gas/electric, and more energy efficient. The only drawback with it is that not all pans work with it (they have to be magnetic). We bought a new batch of pans and haven't looked back. You do have to be careful when buying induction hobs though - they can be temperature sensitive, so if your oven is directly below it, ensure that the two are designed to work together (otherwise the hob will overheat and cut off).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

belated thanks for that, i'd already ordered an induction hob so it's a relief to find someone happy with them.
    kitchen only being finished this week so hopefully will be using it very shortly.

Advertisement