Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

John Connors is a bit of a wanker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Omackeral wrote: »
    That’s it, really.

That's a gross misrepresentation. Typical of someone from the top drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

CatFromHue wrote: »
    technically the vast majority of men are ****.

i know I am anyway, I'm always at it :pac:

**** :cool:

I f*cking love **** !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

He was great in Cardboard Gangsters (I actually loved the movie), seen him interviewed a few times too. Very traditional sort of voice, sounds well traveled :)

Seen a few of his tweets, seem's like a bit of a wanker [on twitter at least].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

A Traveller suggesting that a persons social status (Jackson et al) helped them to get away with a crime is the true pinnacle of hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Disappointed, but not surprised, to see the usual reactionary attitudes towards travellers on display here.

Connors has managed to carve out an acting career for himself against the odds. More power to him. He has landed an agent now and I'll be interested to see what he does next.

He also speaks the truth about our political class:

I reckon his next role will be some type of scumbag criminal character ... just a hunch ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Couldn't understand the rave reviews for Cardboard Gangsters. I thought it was very average with subpar performances from many of the cast.

Connors in fairness was decent enough but then again like others have mentioned playing a massive thug seems to be his forte. I'd like to see him branch out and take on a more diverse selection of roles in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Couldn't understand the rave reviews for Cardboard Gangsters. I thought it was very average with subpar performances from many of the cast.

Connors in fairness was decent enough.

Connors was decent enough but hardly an outstanding tour de force performance, as some commentators would have you believe. His crew of sidekicks were exceptionally bad, especially the ''mad'' lad. The plot was crap and the ending was as cliched as you could get. 3/10 being generous

Connors in fairness was decent enough but then again like others have mentioned playing a massive thug seems to be his forte. I'd like to see him branch out and take on a more diverse selection of roles in the future.

Its a brilliant movie, and if you come from that socio economic background you'd get it too.

Its a brilliant movie, and if you come from that socio economic background you'd get it too.

Brilliant?! Not a chance. It's got a wafer thin plot and sub par actors. It's alright I suppose but brilliant?! No way. It's very by the numbers.

Brilliant?! Not a chance. It's got a wafer thin plot and sub par actors. It's alright I suppose but brilliant?! No way. It's very by the numbers.

If you grew up with that sh*t you'd get it. The movie was bang on the money and most people from Darndale, Ballymun, Finglas etc would identify with the whole thing.

Anyway its late and I'm not losing sleep over it.

The whole thing was brilliant, 'The blacker, Darndale, Belcamp College grounds, dealing and jumped up little scumbags trying to be big lads.

Other than that, he's a bit of a wanker on twitter but from mates who know him through boxing Conor's is supposed to be sound enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Bogfairy

Terminator 6
    The Scrapping of the Machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

That’s it, really.
    That Louise O’Neill is a great role model for little girls and women.
    He has such a chip on his shoulder it's unreal.

Gwan After Hours, you gas ****.

If you grew up with that sh*t you'd get it. The movie was bang on the money and most people from Darndale, Ballymun, Finglas etc would identify with the whole thing.

Making assumptions there. I grew up in the heartland of Westies territory. Both my parents are from Finglas and I spend more time with gangsters than I do with my own family thanks to my job. There was fcuk all to ''get''.

It was a wafer thin story, that fella playing the psycho was the worst thing I've ever seen and the other two pals hadn't an ounce of charisma between them. Ending was pure gick too. I'd name 15/20 better Irish films off the top of my head. I enjoyed Stephen Clinch and it is quite fun seeing some areas you know on the big screen but calling it brilliant is such a stretch, nothing memorable at all about it really.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 Pack It In

Who is he and why should I care about his opinions?

Dymo wrote: »
    lawsuit for Omackeral

#SueMeJohnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

I'm pretty sure Jews and 'blacks' don't generally fight to be seen as a minority. I don't know of any Jewish rights group that fights for their right to be completely separate from the rest of the population when it comes to obeying the law but who want the benefits of social welfare and the like.

You should read up about Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

On a serious note, coming out with sh&t like this is irresponsible from a so-called human rights activist. How are companies like Lidl robbing us everyday?! They provide a great service for families in disadvantaged areas especially. He's a twonk. That's my new word for today, twonk.

It’s very telling that he thinks a discount retailer is robbing us. There’s one of two things going on here. Either he’s trying and failing to be populist OR he thinks that having to pay even rock-bottom prices for goods is unacceptable.

Not the brightest penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Anyway its late and I'm not losing sleep over it.

The whole thing was brilliant, 'The blacker, Darndale, Belcamp College grounds, dealing and jumped up little scumbags trying to be big lads.

Other than that, he's a bit of a wanker on twitter but from mates who know him through boxing Conor's is supposed to be sound enough.

Films are supposed to open one’s mind. If you can only truly enjoy it because you’ve experienced it, that honestly sounds pretty crummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

"The majority of travellers blacks contribute nothing to Irish society. They fought to be seen as a minority yet argue that they’re not treated as equals. The ratio of criminals to law-abiding citizens in the travelling black community is exponentially larger than in the settled white community. Criminality is largely condoned in their community, they believe they are above the law. Travellers Blacks make up something like 11% of the Irish prison population, yet make up less than 1% of the actual population. I’ve never spoken to a person about travellers blacks in which they have not had mainly negative experiences of them. True there are some good travellers blacks, but it’s hard not to tarnish them all with the same brush when so many of them are not good."

Substituting the terms shines a light on the underlying message. What era would the post evoke if the word 'travellers' was replaced with 'Jews'?

good post, completely agree.
    What I said isnt applicable to black people or Jewish people in this country, so your substitution makes no sense. Embarrassing response.

it doesn't have to be specifically valid to ireland. it just has to be valid full stop, which it is
    in the US for example, blacks apparently have a higher representation in terms of crime then whites, and you will hear the same things stated about the black community as stated about travelers.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

thats racist

No that’s just the traveller women bathing in too much fake tan. They’re not a different race.

• Advertisement

I find the whole Travellers being the same as African Americans argument to be disingenuous. Firstly, there’s no real singular black community in America, it’s a country of over 325,000,000 people. So a no nonsense New Yorker from Harlem isn’t gonna have much in common with a fella from rural Missouri, who in turn will probably have less in common with some hipster from Seattle.

To show up the comparison further, the last US president was a black man. Their brightest sports stars are black. Some of the biggest and best entertainers in music and film are black. Their are countless black police chiefs, CEOs, professors, surgeons etc etc. Can you say much of that of Travellers at all? It’s not a great comparison in my book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

If he is so oppressed as a Travellers how did he get out of the lifestyle to be a actor?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I thought Cardboard Gangsters was alright. It has a tone which I don't appreciate all that much though. Beyond the Canals had it also (from the same director) but I just feel if you're going to position a film as being realistic (which they did) then you can't also then exaggerate certain facets of that world at the same damn time. No problem with that being done otherwise though, do what you like then. Which is what I liked so much about Love / Hate, as it's creators were never pretentious about what they were making. Michael Inside is a film out right now that I feel genuinely has something to say, and worth listening to, about living in a working class area in Dublin and other than the odd scene which I feel should have been left on the cutting room floor, it's quite a decent little film overall.

As for Connors as a person. He seems up his own arse to me. I attended a Q&A for Cardboard Gangsters in the IFI when it first came out and Connors came across as quite unlikable. Needlessly cheeky in response to some people asking him questions. Trying way too hard to come across as being nonchalant. Pretending to be indifferent about awards he had received also annoyed me. Just came across as fake. Clearly he was going for the edgy 'awards and all that stuff are so superficial' vibe which we often see from seasoned actors. This chap is only in the door and he's jaded by that side of the business already? Would ya fcuk off. Felt like telling him to have some manners and sit up straight.

What he said about the rugby lads on Twitter was disgraceful. He pretty much insinuated that they were only found not guilty because they had money. He could have easily made a comment about how unlikely working class men would have fared (given that they wouldn't be able to afford such a good defense team) without having to suggest that the men were guilty and so it's quite clear then that the motive he pretended to have for posting the tweet, wasn't the one he had at all. Truth is he just wanted to join in with the crowd that were hashtagging with suemepaddy at the time.

Beneath it all he's probably not so bad but the seemingly never ending need he has to get in with the right on section of our society is enough to make you puke. He's not alone in that though as so many are like that these days. There's huge social cache to be garnered from that nonsense. Louise O'Neill might call you a dote for a start and the men with the plastic on their faces might retweet you and say your woke. Que RTE and the likes fawning all over you asking you to make appearances on shows you have no business being on, talking about subjects you're totally unqualified to be speaking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

A bit ironic that a thread calling a Traveller a wanker turns out to be no more than the ever frequent After Hours anti-Traveller circlejerk.

Who are the real **** here?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Who are the real **** here?

Definitely the People’s Front of Judea

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

duffysfarm wrote: »
    Why?
    Did he identify John Connors as his alleged assailant?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

it doesn't have to be specifically valid to ireland. it just has to be valid full stop, which it is
    in the US for example, blacks apparently have a higher representation in terms of crime then whites, and you will hear the same things stated about the black community as stated about travelers.

It’s not valid in any country as a whole. It’s valid in pockets of the USA where there are “ghettos” and socio-economic problems among the African American community. However, as someone else said, black people in America by and large are well-integrated. They by and large are educated. They by and large are law-abiding. They by and large have jobs and pay taxes.

Can you say all of that about travellers in Ireland? Not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Do you not get it, EOTR? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Spoiler alert: Cardboard Gangsters is f*cking sh*t.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement