Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

is_that_so wrote:
    It's not really. Game was over when he declared. Nobody much cares what came after it.

As I said it's not important just felt it necessary to correct you false claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's not really. Game was over when he declared. Nobody much cares what came after it.

He’s officially declared.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/total-of-59-candidates-declare-for-european-parliament-elections-1.3860879?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I wasn't too surprised about Ming. He got a "real" EU issue and ran well with it.

So tell us what your Ming has been doing, since the last election.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    So tell us what your Ming has been doing, since the last election.

Well he's not mine and I don't much care what he's been or not been doing. What exactly should they be doing and what have any of them been doing? The only one I'm ever aware of is McGuinness. That's only because she may well end up President of the EU Parliament at some point soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Well he's not mine and I don't much care what he's been or not been doing. What exactly should they be doing and what have any of them been doing? The only one I'm ever aware of is McGuinness. That's only because she may well end up President of the EU Parliament at some point soon.

You seem to be partial to Ming and consider he's a shoe in. There must be a reason for that logic. You could see Casey sucking up a lot of the skeptical rural vote, if he gets the oxygen of publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

But surely you heard about the heroic Lynn Boylan, SF's finest MEP?

The bould Lynn single-handedly rescued young Ibrahim Halawa from an Egyptian prison and flew him home to Dublin to a hero's welcome. The woman is a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

But surely you heard about the heroic Lynn Boylan, SF's finest MEP?

The bould Lynn single-handedly rescued young Ibrahim Halawa from an Egyptian prison and flew him home to Dublin to a hero's welcome. The woman is a legend!
    The main thing is that she gets her head into the Brussels trough like the rest of them. The EU dictatorship knows how to buy people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,478 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

NIMAN wrote: »
    Who predicted he would romp the poll?

No-one I remember.

Sure MDH was the clear favourite, and was always predicted to get more than the other 5 candidates combined.

Your use of the word 'just' in the "just 23%" was meant to be demeaning to PC. When in fact you know that 23% of the vote in a 6 horse race, inc a runaway favourite, is pretty damn good.

In the Boards poll, 54% said they would be giving their vote to Casey. This is not the same as predicting that he would romp home. But it does show that there is less support for Casey in the real world than on After Hours.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108386878

In the Boards poll, 54% said they would be giving their vote to Casey. This is not the same as predicting that he would romp home. But it does show that there is less support for Casey in the real world than on After Hours.

Are you insinuating that posters on After Hours are not in the real world?
    And there was I taking everything posted so serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Maria Walsh on the Tonight Show complaining about the lack of broadband and running as an MEP on the Fine Gael ticket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

mgn wrote: »
    Maira Walsh on the Tonight Show complaining about the lack of broadband and running as an MEP on the Fine Gael ticket.

"It's an education process"

She's perfect for them nonsense wrapped up as solutions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Casey is a one trick pony. He is not suitable as an MEP, isn't he a Eurosceptic at any rate?

Ming stands a very good chance of re-election. It is ridiculous to suggest that he has done absolutely nothing for his constituents. We will see on when the European election results come in.

I personally think the European Parliament is a bit of a gravy train...

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Casey is a one trick pony. He is not suitable as an MEP, isn't he a Eurosceptic at any rate?

Ming stands a very good chance of re-election. It is ridiculous to suggest that he has done absolutely nothing for his constituents. We will see on when the European election results come in.

I personally think the European Parliament is a bit of a gravy train...

Of course it is. A talking shop for a few attention seekers. We will see how it is when 30 to 40 percent of the seats go to right wing candidates

BarryD2 wrote: »
    You seem to be partial to Ming and consider he's a shoe in. There must be a reason for that logic. You could see Casey sucking up a lot of the skeptical rural vote, if he gets the oxygen of publicity.

Nope, just looking at numbers. Ming topped the poll and a collapse in his vote in his vote would be quite surprising, particularly if that vote went to a non-politician. I never suggested he would top the poll again but I think he's likely to be returned. With Harkin not running there is an actual seat for Casey to target, especially that FF are after that one. Casey has also not run up against any party machine in an election. Using the presidential as evidence of anything is foolish.

Par for the course on online polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Vote No 1 for Casey and those in the south should give Dolores Cahill no 1 and Dublin Hermann Kelly no1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Vote No 1 for Casey and those in the south should give Dolores Cahill no 1.

Irexit?
    No thanks.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Irexit?
    No thanks.

Well my preference would be serious reform but if not then yes. FG/FF or SF will not deliver reform.

Well my preference would be serious reform but if not then yes. FG/FF or SF will not deliver reform.
    Nor can or will the EU Parliament. Not sure what reform an Irexit MEP can deliver given their pretty obvious agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Vote No 1 for Casey and those in the south should give Dolores Cahill no 1 and Dublin Hermann Kelly no1.

Not an Irexit supporter - though I'm very much not a Europhile either - I heard Dolores Cahill debating some Senator (Byrne?) and the radio-presenter; she did very well to be fair. A very articulate person and a much better performer than Herman Kelly.

Diceicle wrote: »
    Not an Irexit supporter - though I'm very much not a Europhile either - I heard Dolores Cahill debating some Senator (Byrne?) and the radio-presenter; she did very well to be fair. A very articulate person and a much better performer than Herman Kelly.

I agree about the debate with that FG nobody!

I would also be somewhere in between on support for Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Articulate doth butter no parsnips with the Irish electorate. I think Casey has a decent chance of getting elected. He's the only candidate who openly criticizes certain minorities, questions the amount of refugees the country can take and he'll probably stick up for working people also.

Berserker wrote: »
    Articulate doth butter no parsnips with the Irish electorate. I think Casey has a decent chance of getting elected. He's the only candidate who openly criticizes certain minorities, questions the amount of refugees the country can take and he'll probably stick up for working people also.

Will he get transfers and from whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I watched her speak at the Irexit conference in Limerick on YouTube. In the opening two minutes she declared herself "an expert" on South Korea, then claimed that they experienced a famine in 1977. Yeah, sure thing Dolores, "expert." If concocting a non-existant famine in what was already well on it's way to being a developed country is expertise, I think the good people of Ireland South could do without your kind offer to deploy it on our behalf in Brussels.

Yurt! wrote: »
    I watched her speak at the Irexit conference in Limerick on YouTube. In the opening two minutes she declared herself "an expert" on South Korea, then claimed that they experienced a famine in 1977. Yeah, sure thing Dolores, "expert."
    Interviews at this stage will be fairly gentle all round and larger parties will put out well-meaning but not terribly good minions. As we get into May and closer to the election there will be a whole lot more prodding and the spoofers will fall away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Will he get transfers and from whom?

He'll get transfers from across the board given his stance on travelers and immigrants. There are plenty of voters out there who have concerns regarding the above but they've never had a political outlet to express them through. Casey gives them that.

Berserker wrote: »
    He'll get transfers from across the board given his stance on travelers and immigrants. There are plenty of voters out there who has concerns regarding the above but they've never had a political outlet to express them through. Casey gives them that.
    What do travellers have to do with the EU Parliament? Again this looks to be based on the result of the presidential, which is a beauty contest, and an assumption that he will replicate that. He is untested in a proper competitive election and if he's in a fight with professional politicians they are going to put him in their sights. There will also be a higher turnout and I can't see some of them wanting to opt for him.

As I've said before this looks more like a Ganley situation where he may get a reasonable FP but fall short on that and on transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I don't want to elect someone who wants to deliver a disaster in the form of Irexit to Ireland, no matter how articulate they are.

The articulate lunatics are the worst kind of lunatics.

• Advertisement

Phoebas wrote: »
    I don't want to elect someone who wants to deliver a disaster in the form of Irexit to Ireland, no matter how articulate they are.

The articulate lunatics are the worst kind of lunatics.

An MEP wont deliver Irexit, that will be national Government and likely a referendum....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement