Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Stop, Sip, Sleep".... they have this all wrong

• 15-04-2019 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

...in the RSA ad.

Surely sipping coffee will not help you to do the next bit...sleeping!

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Sleep before the caffeine kicks in.

Close it down lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Caffeine doesn't hit immediately. Coffee, sleep for 15 minutes at the side of the road, wake up just when it hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,405 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Yeah,who can sleep like that at will,particularly in a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Cristiano Thousands Turf

The sleep time allows the coffee to kick in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

That feels more like an ad for coffee than a public service advert. Bring back 1970s style shock tactic pifs with graphic carnage I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭touts

Don't know about the coffee part but I've driven once seriously fatigued and I'll tell you stopping and sleeping for a short while is the only solution. How I didn't kill myself and someone else before I got to a filling station to do the Stop Sip and Sleep thing I don't know. Just couldn't concentrate and really struggled to keep my eyes open. After less than an hour (with about 30 Min nap) I was much better and got home safe. If It happened again I'd just stop somewhere for a 30min nap and skip the caffeine rather than try to find a filling station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

What about the 10% of the population that caffeine isn't a stimulant for?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That feels more like an ad for coffee than a public service advert. Bring back 1970s style shock tactic pifs with graphic carnage I say.
    The one with the lad without the seatbelt flying around like a guided missile.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,083 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

marcbrophy wrote: »

meth?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fairly well proven that caffeine aids sleep performance for a short period, if you fall asleep before it takes hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I was exhausted one day, had a coffee on the way home (wasn't driving) and so tired when I got in the door I went to bed and had a nap before the caffeine kicked in.

Slept like a baby and woke feeling better than I have after any sleep I've ever had. Was awesome.

Grayson wrote: »
    meth?

Now you're thinking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

kneemos wrote: »

*waves

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Only thing to come from this will be Starbucks express siren song on the side of the road to lure men to sobriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Well they're trying to stop people from falling asleep WHILE driving... so maybe those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Coffee doesn't stop me from sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

People who are falling asleep at the wheel and need to pull in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You obviously don't have kids kneemos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

marcbrophy wrote: »

Stop, ****, sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,405 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

*waves

Hi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Nearly fell asleep at the wheel on the M5. Whole family on board. :eek: Stopped at a service station and tried to nap. Eventually went into the shop and spotted some Red Bull. I'd never drank Red Bull before, so you can guess the effect...

I think I was still awake the next morning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Where's grandad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Nearly fell asleep at the wheel on the M5. Whole family on board. :eek: Stopped at a service station and tried to nap. Eventually went into the shop and spotted some Red Bull. I'd never drank Red Bull before, so you can guess the effect...

I think I was still awake the next morning. :D

And nobody could drive the last stretch? Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,464 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

don't stop for too long though or you can get done for that too :pac:
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/111934861/sleeping-drivers-ticketed-for-freedom-camping-in-queenstown

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

https://www.vox.com/2014/8/28/6074177/coffee-naps-caffeine-science

when you are tired you have loads of adenosine and caffeine stops more but doesnt clear what's there so you clear what's there with a nap but have caffeine first to stop more building up

uhhh that's my understanding
    i need a coffee nap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I have my own method of staying awake when driving that I'm thinking of approaching the RSA with.

"Stop, Score, Snort"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

LirW wrote: »
    And nobody could drive the last stretch? Jesus.

'fraid not. Wife was the only adult, and she couldn't drive.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Stop, ****, sleep?

You'd be out for 8 hours then! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I've always thought it was a stupid campaign though. People now laugh at the drink driving campaign that said "Just two will do" and I see this as similar. Surely if you are jaded tired then they should be advising you just to pull up at a cheap hotel and get a good night's sleep, or stay with a friend, or anything other than being on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I've always thought it was a stupid campaign though. People now laugh at the drink driving campaign that said "Just two will do" and I see this as similar. Surely if you are jaded tired then they should be advising you just to pull up at a cheap hotel and get a good night's sleep, or stay with a friend, or anything other than being on the road.

Cos Ireland is littered with cheap roadside hotels and friends who conveniently live close by to wherever you're driving.

Advertisement