Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone else enjoy being single?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

How did a thread about being single turn into a discussion about Mary Magdalene? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Graces7 wrote: »
    Is this what you are referring to? If so ? Not Mary Magdalene. Maybe heed your own words.. ;)
    Also she was breaking the law by committing adultery so it is not a matter of judging but of showing mercy to a wrongdoer caught in the act. Very different.

A Woman Caught in Adultery
    8 Jesus returned to the Mount of Olives, 2 but early the next morning he was back again at the Temple. A crowd soon gathered, and he sat down and taught them. 3 As he was speaking, the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in the act of adultery. They put her in front of the crowd.

4 “Teacher,” they said to Jesus, “this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 The law of Moses says to stone her. What do you say?”

6 They were trying to trap him into saying something they could use against him, but Jesus stooped down and wrote in the dust with his finger. 7 They kept demanding an answer, so he stood up again and said, “All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!” 8 Then he stooped down again and wrote in the dust.

9 When the accusers heard this, they slipped away one by one, beginning with the oldest, until only Jesus was left in the middle of the crowd with the woman. 10 Then Jesus stood up again and said to the woman, “Where are your accusers? Didn’t even one of them condemn you?”

11 “No, Lord,” she said.

And Jesus said, “Neither do I. Go and sin no more.”

Did you know her?

I am of the opinion as was Pope Gregory that Mary Magdalene, the unnamed lady in Luke's Gospel and Mary of Bethany were all the same person?
    I have posted the reasons why she is portrayed as a prostitute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

What amazes me is that is ok mock Catholic religious beliefs.
    Not one person would do the same with Islam for the fear of being labelled Islamophobia. Typical double standards Catholics are entitled to religious respect too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Not one person would do the same with Islam for the fear of being labelled Islamophobia. Typical double standards Catholics are entitled to religious respect too

No one is mocking Catholics, wind your neck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The Bible passage, including the possible views/opinions of Christ, under study is being discussed rationally, not "mocked", and is part of the same text revered by all the Christian denominations (Protestant, Anglican Communion, Eastern Orthodox, Old Order Amish, and so on) not just Catholic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

jimgoose wrote: »
    The Bible passage, including the possible views/opinions of Christ, under study is being discussed rationally, not "mocked", and is part of the same text revered by all the Christian denominations (Protestant, Anglican Communion, Eastern Orthodox, and so on) not just Catholic.

Well Christians are entitled to religious respect of their beliefs, not innuendo about out our Lord's sexualy orientation or that of his apostles.
    Nobody would think it's acceptable to mock Mohamed in the same manner

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Get back on topic please and keep the religious talk out of here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

I know someone who complains all the time about being single, but who wants any prospective partner to check so many boxes that no mere mortal could ever qualify.

I think some people expect a fairytale prince to show up at their door some day with a glass slipper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I know someone who complains all the time about being single, but who wants any prospective partner to check so many boxes that no mere mortal could ever qualify.

I think some people expect a fairytale prince to show up at their door some day with a glass slipper.

What's depressing is that such people who expect the wit of a comedian, the body of an athlete and the intellect of an Oxbridge scholar all in one package have a tendency to bring absolutely nothing to the table themselves.

It's one of my main gripes with online dating. I don't frequent men's profiles so I don't know if they're all demanding models on the other hand.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What's depressing is that such people who expect the wit of a comedian, the body of an athlete and the intellect of an Oxbridge scholar all in one package have a tendency to bring absolutely nothing to the table themselves.

It's one of my main gripes with online dating. I don't frequent men's profiles so I don't know if they're all demanding models on the other hand.

I recently saw the plays, the Beauty Queen of Leenane and Sive, if people from that generation saw how picky we are now, they'd find it hard to understand.

There is no question but that many of us are guilty of losing the good in the hope of the great (myself included I fear).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,220 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

But are you enjoying being single

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I recently saw the plays, the Beauty Queen of Leenane and Sive, if people from that generation saw how picky we are now, they'd find it hard to understand.

There is no question but that many of us are guilty of losing the good in the hope of the great (myself included I fear).

Yeah. I don't know if I'd want to meet anyone I'd messaged online to be honest. I prefer to meet people IRL as I can try and get a better measure of them.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

As an aspie living with psoriasis I've never had much of a choice.

Autosport wrote: »
    But are you enjoying being single

Very much so. I'm open to finding someone but I don't put that much effort in as I enjoy my own time quite a bit.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I never get that your not allowed do what you want. As long as it's in reason why would the partner that supposedly loves you deny your enjoyment.
    Id never tell my wife she can't do something nor would I expect her to tell me I can't do something

• Registered Users Posts: 22,220 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Very much so. I'm open to finding someone but I don't put that much effort in as I enjoy my own time quite a bit.

Ya see that's me, I love my own company and for me to let some one in they have to be just as good as me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

And that is the case here too. I think it's entirely irrational behavior. Surely it make no sense for a relatively average women, in terms of education, career, looks, and personality, to expect to pair off with someone who would be in the top 5 percent on every metric.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

rob316 wrote: »
    I never get that your not allowed do what you want. As long as it's in reason why would the partner that supposedly loves you deny your enjoyment.
    Id never tell my wife she can't do something nor would I expect her to tell me I can't do something

Tbf this is all fine and dandy when you don't have kids but definitely changes after you have kids.

For example if you had 3 kids would you happy if your partner decided they needed 3 months off to travel the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭This is it

BBFAN wrote: »
    Tbf this is all fine and dandy when you don't have kids but definitely changes after you have kids.

For example if you had 3 kids would you happy if your partner decided they needed 3 months off to travel the world?

There's a difference in doing what you want and living up to your responsibilities.

When I was younger I'd be saying to the lads "nah not this weekend, the OH wouldn't let me out two weekends in a row". I missed doing a lot of things with friends because I thought I had a set number of nights out, only so many free passes, etc. I thought we as a couple had to do everything together and the other half of those relationships thought the same.

It wasn't until recent years I was in a relationship where we did what we wanted, there was no fear of "fûck, how am I going to swing this night out/weekend away". It was never an issue. We spent loads of time together but knew we had our own friends from through the years and other parts of our lives from before we met that we didn't have to give up. This was normal for my OH at the time, it was completely new to me, and I can't overstate how much better life and the relationship was for it.

Autosport wrote: »
    Ya see that's me, I love my own company and for me to let some one in they have to be just as good as me :)

Same here. Like today I was on annual leave so I spent the day in Essex checking out Roman Ruins, churches and a castle just out of sheer randomness.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭rob316

BBFAN wrote: »

I have 2 and your example is not within reason obviously.

I'm talking about going away for a trip with the lads when I want, her the same with the girls. Doing things separately, it's important to a relationship.

I have friends in relationships and their partners doesn't let them do a tap without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Same here. Like today I was on annual leave so I spent the day in Essex checking out Roman Ruins, churches and a castle just out of sheer randomness.

There are plenty of women who'd love to do that with you. Or to leave you to it and go off and do something that interests them. I'd never any interest in being joined at the hip with anyone, must be stifling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

My OH heads off whenever he likes, which isn’t very often, and I think it’s great. Being apart occasionally is definitely good for everyone, and we also have children. Our setup is a bit old-fashioned, in that I (gladly) gave up work, to be at home with our kids, so when I hightail it, it’s a bit harder on him because he’s not used to it in the same way as I am.

I really wonder about this business of one partner having to “ask” to go somewhere/do something independently, sounds like misery and definitely doesn’t exist even in my pretty traditional setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

ATM I've a smallie 5 days a week since he was 2 and a half,now 16 so I'm happy to have just us both,miss the sex sometimes, companionship at times but overall settled -dont miss the nagging extra money worries etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Jester232

rob316 wrote: »

What about the things you need to do when you don't want to do them?

Like say, picking someone up at the airport when you'd rather be lying down watching a series or something?

Those are the types of things that I prefer when single. I don't have any worries about anyone having any plans for me.

Tonight I'll watch the football. If I want to walk up the town at half time for a bag of chips, I can do it. I don't need to tell anyone I'm going, I don't need to offer to get anything for anyone. Just pure freedom.

People often say "relationships are about compromise". Being single there is none. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I enjoyed being single, had a nice 2 seater car, went to Dubai every year on my holidays, somtimes twice ! Then I met a girl and got married, have been terrified ever since...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Jester232 wrote: »

Like say, picking someone up at the airport when you'd rather be lying down watching a series or something?

Or going to a wedding when you absolutely hate weddings. Or meeting her parents. Or trying to think of a present to get her for Christmas/birthday/anniversary etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Those are the types of things that I prefer when single. I don't have any worries about anyone having any plans for me.

Tonight I'll watch the football. If I want to walk up the town at half time for a bag of chips, I can do it. I don't need to tell anyone I'm going, I don't need to offer to get anything for anyone. Just pure freedom.

People often say "relationships are about compromise". Being single there is none. :)

By the same rational, there is no companionship, support, synergy when you are single.
    For most people, the benefits of these outweigh the negatives of having to compromise in some ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yeesh, that's taking things to the same level as the people who can't be single for five minutes because they're afraid of being alone tbh

• Advertisement

There are plenty of women who'd love to do that with you. Or to leave you to it and go off and do something that interests them. I'd never any interest in being joined at the hip with anyone, must be stifling.

I don't disagree but the trick there is finding said women.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement