Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just don't give a ****. Does anyone else just not give a ****?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Now the same people who made a 16 or 17 year old boys life a misery are crying "leave the poor child alone" when someone criticises a girl who is about the same age. Suddenly something that was perfectly acceptable in January is now child abuse.

It's hard to keep track of what I'm supposed to care about.

The good news is that you don't have to care about any of it.

What people want you to care about is them. Brexit/Trump/Climate/Budget "issues" are all merely vehicles for their egos to scutter on about. They want to feel special. They want to embrace the idea that they can make a difference. Be the hero. Be the clever clogs predicting the future. Be the one to tell others what to do and how to live. Doesn't matter if it is the Sky News journo, the know-it-all in the street protest, or the bore next to you in work. They want you to care about them.

But it is your prerogative not to give a flying **** about any of them. Their greatest fear is not a future apocalypse at all. It is your apathy; for it renders them as nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Gerry G wrote: »
    Climate change? Don't give a ****
    50c extra for fags? Don't give a ****
    Some young autistic girl sails around the world in a boat? Don't give a ****
    Brexit? Don't give a ****
    Some pseudo celebrity is angry about some **** or other on Twitter? Guess what, don't give a **** about that either.
    Religion? Not a single gram of **** given.

There are so many people who care so much about all of the above as if it's the most important thing in the whole world but honestly I just don't give a **** about any of it. I know I probably should but I just don't. I feel completely unaffected by all the bull****. Anyone else feel the same?

Btw, I could write a full short novel on all the things I don't give a **** about.....

I think you need something to eat. That’ll help you give more of a s*** about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I couldnae care less. *hic* pass us another McEwans...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

topper75 wrote: »
    The good news is that you don't have to care about any of it.

What people want you to care about is them. Brexit/Trump/Climate/Budget "issues" are all merely vehicles for their egos to scutter on about. They want to feel special. They want to embrace the idea that they can make a difference. Be the hero. Be the clever clogs predicting the future. Be the one to tell others what to do and how to live. Doesn't matter if it is the Sky News journo, the know-it-all in the street protest, or the bore next to you in work. They want you to care about them.

But it is your prerogative not to give a flying **** about any of them. Their greatest fear is not a future apocalypse at all. It is your apathy; for it renders them as nothing.
    That might be true for some people, but I think people are worried about the climate for genuine reasons, not everything has a cynical reading for all people.

Guy Person wrote: »
    This thread is funny to me. Someone says he only cares about things related to his life and the lives of his family and friends (which I agree with because I am the same) and he can't understand why people get so worked up about things they have no control over or that don't affect their lives at all.
    The point being made in most cases is that the position makes no sense. Climate change will affect the lives of family and friends. So it's hard to understand how you can not give a **** about climate change when you're only concerned with family and friends.

CFCs were the same, they would have caused an ozone hole leading to massive increases in cancers and environmental damage that would have affected evrybody on the planet. They didn't because protesters and political action prevented it. So it's clear personal action can change these things.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Fourier wrote: »
    The point being made in most cases is that the position makes no sense. Climate change will affect the lives of family and friends. So it's hard to understand how you can not give a **** about climate change when you're only concerned with family and friends.

CFCs were the same, they would have caused an ozone hole leading to massive increases in cancers and environmental damage that would have affected evrybody on the planet. They didn't because protesters and political action prevented it. So it's clear personal action can change these things.

He may feel that as one person he can't make a difference so why worry about it. No point in in crying himself to sleep at night because the Chinese are burning coal.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    He may feel that as one person he can't make a difference so why worry about it. No point in in crying himself to sleep at night because the Chinese are burning coal.
    He seems to think the current climate change is not really any different to past natural changes, which isn't correct scientifically.

I get your point in general though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Fourier wrote: »

Brexit is more likely to have affect on my family and friends than climate change in the immediate short term. Long term, yes I believe man made climate change will have a bad effect on humanity in general but I don't think that will change either so all I concern myself with is paying my mortgage and other bills and trying to be a good son/brother/friend to my loved ones.

Brexit is more likely to have affect on my family and friends than climate change in the immediate short term. Long term, yes I believe man made climate change will have a bad effect on humanity in general but I don't think it will change either so all I concern myself with is paying my mortgage and other bills and trying to be a good son/brother/friend to my loved ones.
    I can understand that, thanks for replying. Personally I'd say it will change eventually as companies and governments are starting to show the first signs of altering their behaviour like they did with CFCs.
    I think the media tires people out with the apocalyptic talk, which the science doesn't support.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Brexit is more likely to have affect on my family and friends than climate change in the immediate short term. Long term, yes I believe man made climate change will have a bad effect on humanity in general but I don't think that will change either so all I concern myself with is paying my mortgage and other bills and trying to be a good son/brother/friend to my loved ones.

Brexit, climate change etc.
    Realistically there is nothing an individual can do about either so there isn't really any point in worrying about them.

Realistically there is nothing an individual can do about either so there isn't really any point in worrying about them.
    It depends on what you mean by "do about it". No individual can single-handedly halt the industrial processes driving the change. However like CFCs change can be affected by multiple people exerting political pressure. If everybody had thought nothing could be done with CFCs, nothing would have been done. The fact is the collective effort of individual action has altered things like this in the past.

• I think rather than splitting the world just into things I care about and do not care about - I further split the latter into things I actively care about and try to do things about - and things I passively care about and do little other than use my vote or my conversations with politicians on my doorstep the right way.

I certainly do not care at all about the culture of offence we have in the online world - which I barely see reflected ever in the meat space world. While people go on and on in the twitter-verse about things like Black Face and Micro-aggressions - no one in the real world seems to care. If my daughter wants to dress up this Halloween as Moana like she did in the past - I will be black facing her and neither I nor anyone else in the real world appears to actually care. And the same is true for most "offence" in the online world from songs sung at weddings leaked by camera phone - to oulfellas in a lift making outdated jokes about wanting to go to the floor with womens lingere.

Then there are things I actively care about. I was incredibly active and activist during recent referendums for example. And in fact long before them to make them happen at all. At a local level I have cared about the mental health of complete strangers - for example running a guided meditation weekly for over 5 years now to which local students, cops, priests, politicians and more have and still do come to. And more recently I have been working with a friend on a "Jedi Acadamy" - a school for problem youths to whom we teach Jedi Training in all it's forms to give problem youths an outlet and guidance and improvements in their lives.

• Blueshoe wrote: »

Climate change is a weird one for me. I care enough about it to want to be active but I feel incapable of doing so. I am kind of jaded by it and as a consumer I do not really feel like I have the tools to really do anything about it.

Worse I think many industries have been cynical about it - cashing in on it through loopholes in legislation people like celebrated at the time. I re-tell often the story from another boards user as a case in point. A user who tried to "buy local" but found that due to loopholes in legislation the products like prawns he was told on the packaging were local - were despite being caught locally actually being driven to Morocco in freezer trucks to be shelled by cheap labour before being driven all the way back. How can I as a consumer work with that kind of thing effectively? I can't.

Worse without statistics I have found myself disillusioned by many environmental "wins". For example the big one for me at the moment is the fact my parents in their day never separated their waste. One big "win" we have in modern times is we do so now and plastic waste is separated for recycling and biological for other purposes and so on.

What is wrong with that? Well I watch people clean their plastic to go into the plastic waste bins. Many of them - significantly many - washing them under a streaming running hot tap. The sheer waste of water - heated water at that - by far undoing any overall environmental benefit of separating and recycling the plastic. Leaving me wondering to myself if the overall effect of this "win" in environmentalism due to nothing more than human ignorance is a large net overall damage to our environment.

So I do care about climate change - but I feel jaded and ineffectual and helpless in the face of it. I make myself a conscientious and informed consumer and recycler and I berate politicians on my doorstep and use my vote on the topic. But that is as far as I go. It is not that I do not care. I just consciously turn my caring off as it helps no one - much less my own anxiety and mental health on the subject.

To quote Andrew McAfee on the subject. I do not think we can conserve our way out of climate change. I think we have to innovate our way out of it as a species. And that is not just above - but far removed from - my pay grade. I applaud the people working in that field.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

If it ain't one thing, its another. ;)

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

Advertisement