Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

site_owner wrote: »
    Picked up 12 PRs on the commute home last night heading up the malahide road.
    silverharp wrote: »
    Personal Records? PunctuRes? People from Romania?
    ....or what PR means in medical circles! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably not 'please resuscitate' i guess?

probably not 'please resuscitate' i guess?
    Eh, no!

More to do with a particular route a drug, procedure, examination etc. should take.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

Eh, no!

More to do with a particular route a drug, procedure, examination etc. should take.

I hope they are careful and don't rectum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

4 hours out around west Dublin, Meath and Kildare taking it easy. It's boring but hey, winter misery brings summer...uh....victory?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Not sure how common this is, I've never actually paid much attention to what motorists were actually doing in their cars. But, at around 7.30 this morning, cycling up the NCR towards the Point, I came across a guy sitting in his car watching Netflix at the lights, thought it was odd so decided to keep an eye on him (traffic was such that we were yoyoing between lights). Lights go green and off he drives up the road still watching Netflix. This continues for the next 3 sets of lights as far as Phibsborough and got to a point were I actually slowed and started looking for a Garda car. Unbelievably reckless considering it was still mostly dark, roads where very wet and there were other road users and pedestrians/school kids everywhere. Still can't believe it.

Other than that, nice 26km to work this morning despite the rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Not sure how common this is, I've never actually paid much attention to what motorists were actually doing in their cars. But, at around 7.30 this morning, cycling up the NCR towards the Point, I came across a guy sitting in his car watching Netflix at the lights, thought it was odd so decided to keep an eye on him (traffic was such that we were yoyoing between lights). Lights go green and off he drives up the road still watching Netflix. This continues for the next 3 sets of lights as far as Phibsborough and got to a point were I actually slowed and started looking for a Garda car. Unbelievably reckless considering it was still mostly dark, roads where very wet and there were other road users and pedestrians/school kids everywhere. Still can't believe it.

Other than that, nice 26km to work this morning despite the rain!

I would see the same on the canal very regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've seen laptops before. Not too often though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Wind has thankfully dropped off for todays ride to work, but its also definitely got colder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that was a good honest cold dry morning. first in a while.

nice bit of crescent moon and venus to light the way too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

first time seeing people scraping the ice off cars, nice weather, roads were dry, looks like Dublin will be wet tomorrow

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Cycled in this morning, beautiful morning for it, not really that cold if you've got the right gear, dry underneath and a clear blue sky above, not a breath of wind - perfect.
    Loved the easy moving through the traffic, felt at one with my bike and at one with the other cyclists on all their various bikes, in all their various get ups for their morning commute - my people.

Marveled at the morning mist hanging over the canal and enjoyed seeing the Swans peacefully gliding along.

Loved that I got a break along the canal before Portobello, no cars behind so I had the whole road to myself to just pass by about 20 other cyclists in the cycle lane. Not in a showy aren't I great way, but at a casual cadence that was just faster than the other cyclists.

Everyone seemed relaxed this morning.
    Stopped at the lights and watched everyone's breath rising into the air as we all waited (well, most of us) for the lights to go green and we're all off again.
    8.6km of happy cycling this morning - I felt alive, happy and very content when I reached my workplace.

Was I stoned cycling in?
    No.
    But I have been off the bike for 3 months due to a broken bone.
    See you back here next week for some back to normal bitchin and moanin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I nearly wimped it out this morning. I could hear the wind howling outside and considered getting the flippin' bus.

Glad i didn't, the wind swept me in quickly and the rain had died down.

just in case that was a fellow boardsie, that was me you were talking to after nearly being creamed on the strand road about half an hour ago.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Had an odd one this evening; on my favourite road the R106 Baldoyle to Portmarnock, it was 5:30pm ish and pitch dark but all good. I was probably 1M out from the ditch, not in the centre of the lane, but not too far in. Had a cyclist overtake me and tell me to move in as he passed. I obviously wasn't expecting anyone to say anything so only managed to blurt out a "no" in response. And off he went. Maybe I was just annoyed at someone else overtaking me on two wheels, but I was still perplexed. He hugged the ditch off up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

A lot of cyclists are uneducated in road safety and roadcraft. Even very fast ones. I wouldnt let it bother you.
    That road is a death trap, roll on april.

For myself, i had a great cycle on the new bullitt, its bloody fast! Usual school drop and city commute too so all in about 60km today.

I think I'm getting PTSD or starting to crack. I've had so many close passes the last few days, really fast ones too. I think a taxi driver will kill someone before this winter is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Had an odd one this evening; on my favourite road the R106 Baldoyle to Portmarnock, it was 5:30pm ish and pitch dark but all good. I was probably 1M out from the ditch, not in the centre of the lane, but not too far in. Had a cyclist overtake me and tell me to move in as he passed. I obviously wasn't expecting anyone to say anything so only managed to blurt out a "no" in response. And off he went. Maybe I was just annoyed at someone else overtaking me on two wheels, but I was still perplexed. He hugged the ditch off up the road.

That’s interesting I was out there today roughly same time and some Lula went right trough the cross roads at Sutton on a red . Lucky he wasn’t killed. What colour jacket had he on ? I wonder if it’s the same nutter that went down Howth head into the village last week at breakneck speed !

....Had a cyclist overtake me and tell me to move in as he passed....
    Perhaps he said "Movin" as in "You're moving along nicely"??
    .....That road is a death trap.....
    I cycle on it regularly and I don't ever recall having a single incident on it. The regular headwind is a bigger problem than any other road users.
    ... I wonder if it’s the same nutter that went down Howth head into the village last week at breakneck speed !
    Spartacus??

I cycle on it regularly and I don't ever recall having a single incident on it. The regular headwind is a bigger problem than any other road users.

You cycle the coast road between baldoyle and portmarnock regularly and have never experienced a close pass, tailgate or aggressive driver?

You cycle the coast road between baldoyle and portmarnock regularly and have never experienced a close pass, tailgate or aggressive driver?
    Not that I can recall - I think it's quite a pleasant road to cycle on.

(My only negative experience on it was getting a puncture around 11pm on a bitterly cold night in January about 5 years ago. My hands got so cold that I couldn't get the tyre back on. Was stranded there for about an hour until I finally 'manned up' and got it on.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I certainly have and don't cycle it often.

I wouldn't normally be on the bike at tea time but I'd forgotten to collect a prescription in town so I decided the bike was the best option as traffic would be nuts. I've forgotten the pure joy of sailing passed a massive queue of cars. Tail back on donore rd. was almost backed up to lidl so about 1km long , I stopped counting cars at 50 :D

One super alert lady saw me in her rvm and pulled right a little to give me more room to pass, and got a big thumbs up , and a fella in van with his nose sticking out of a junction trying to turn left pulled back in a bit when he saw me approaching too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I wouldn't normally be on the bike at tea time but I'd forgotten to collect a prescription in town so I decided the bike was the best option as traffic would be nuts. I've forgotten the pure joy of sailing passed a massive queue of cars. Tail back on donore rd. was almost backed up to lidl so about 1km long , I stopped counting cars at 50 :D

One super alert lady saw me in her rvm and pulled right a little to give me more room to pass, and got a big thumbs up , and a fella in van with his nose sticking out of a junction trying to turn left pulled back in a bit when he saw me approaching too.

I rarely take the car down town any more. I have an old MTB, that I use. I lock it at the bike parking spaces outside Ulster Bank.
    It's much quicker on the bike at any time of day.
    Cars pass me on the Dublin road, I catch them before The Bullring.

Ha I usually lock mine there too, if you see an old black Salcano mbt with a child seat do me a favor and rob it then I justify another bike to my OH :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Tis a lovely morning out there. Cycled to work and was annoyed immensely that I wasn't heading out for a spin.

Well I jinxed it.

started using the grand canal both ways now through the dodgy section near park west. the morning is grand and so far havnt seen any trouble makers in the evening though i'd be gone by 6pm. the most anti social thing now are other cyclists with uber bright front lights, might be grand on a well lit road but can be a distraction in the dark especially the luas section where the path is narrower and the water seems quite close.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

dry and breezy in dublin this morning, albeit with a bit of muck on the roads.

~30km yesterday and ~20km today on the bullitt with the kids.
    bit rainy yesterday but survived, today was lovely, nice breeze and no rain so had the cover open for them.

• Advertisement

lovely commute in today, a couple of colleagues caught me in the lift and said I looked too happy :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement