Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trainerroad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Ive been using trainerroad myself this winter since October.

Ive done a full base phase. I did the Sweet Spot high volume I plan. And when i finished that i repeated it. I chose to repeat part I as I just did not have the mental energy to do 2 hour sessions indoors on weekdays.

So the results have been excellent for me. Ive increased my FTP metric by 20% since i started. Its been hard work and has taken alot of commitment to do the sessions and the intervals.

Currently I am just starting the build phase. Some of the sessions are extremely painful.

I like that its teaching me how to train with power and heart rate and to make the most of the 10-13 hours per week i do.

I dont agree fully with doing the entire plan indoors. Sometimes an outdoor ride is needed to clear the head. Plus for endurance. Overall Im really happy with it.

Hoping i will be good this year. But then racing is a whole other ball game isnt it to training? You have to be aggressive and really want the placings and to take them on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Chumpski wrote: »

Ive done a full base phase. I did the Sweet Spot high volume I plan. And when i finished that i repeated it. I chose to repeat part I as I just did not have the mental energy to do 2 hour sessions indoors on weekdays.

So the results have been excellent for me. Ive increased my FTP metric by 20% since i started. Its been hard work and has taken alot of commitment to do the sessions and the intervals.

Currently I am just starting the build phase. Some of the sessions are extremely painful.

I like that its teaching me how to train with power and heart rate and to make the most of the 10-13 hours per week i do.

I dont agree fully with doing the entire plan indoors. Sometimes an outdoor ride is needed to clear the head. Plus for endurance. Overall Im really happy with it.

Hoping i will be good this year. But then racing is a whole other ball game isnt it to training? You have to be aggressive and really want the placings and to take them on the day.

That's great progress and shows real dividends for a serious time commitment into turbo work alone - would well believe you would crave an outdoor spin to clear the head!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I used TrainerRoad for my winter training as a first season racer last year, sweet spot low volume, general build then Rolling Road, u have always had a Sunday endurance spin added to the plan or you would crack up. 9-10 hrs weekly all in.

I credit the sessions as a massive help to me getting a first season upgrade.
    TrainerRoad does work, you just have to commit to it as you have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Unfortunately it's an either/or for me - I wouldn't get the Saturday TrainerRoad and the Sunday club spin over the weekend, at the moment. I could probably squeeze in the other way around, but tbh I'm not sure I'd be fresh enough for over/unders on a Sunday after the Saturday spin which is what sweet spot base II generally are, never mind whatever awaits during build!

I feel the Saturday spins have plenty of sweet spot and threshold work (mainly as I'm trying to hangon!), but I'm weighing up power meter options to try and confirm that. But tbh, I also need the outlet of the outdoor group spin, so I'm not prepared to sacrifice it even if it is a compromise.

Have 2hr Zone 2/3 spin on a Sunday instead of the normal 4hrs most club spins take maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Might try facebook, as I'm continually disappointed not to have my question read on the podcast...

In other news, anyone do the Ramp Test that they're testing to replace the 8 and 20 minute tests? Did it yesterday, albeit with tired legs after a hard club spin on Saturday, but haven't got the outcome yet. I feel I've fecked up the pacing of my last couple of 20 minute tests/ hit a mental barrier with them, so will be interested to see how it compares. They're also hinting that they'll be going more like a training peaks style, allowing you to upload outdoor rides and track total TSS within TrainerRoad.

Haven't signed up to the beta but looking forward to trying this out. They think it will remove pacing problems and lead to more consistent results as you just ride to failure. Personally I find it really tough to just sit on the same power number for 20 mins, one of many reasons I'm a crap TT'er.

If you search for ramp test x in Trainerroad you can see it to see how its works

I think it was Shane Millar who had a vlog with Stephen Lane on this about a year ago for some more info on it.

Crocked wrote: »
    Personally I find it really tough to just sit on the same power number for 20 mins, one of many reasons I'm a crap TT'er.

Me too, the sweet spot intervals are very challenging. Sometimes i was questioning if my training levels were right, felt like threshold work at times. I think on those days though i was just fatigued. Or my window was not open enough and i overheated or something.

dahat wrote: »
    I used TrainerRoad for my winter training as a first season racer last year, sweet spot low volume, general build then Rolling Road, u have always had a Sunday endurance spin added to the plan or you would crack up. 9-10 hrs weekly all in.

I credit the sessions as a massive help to me getting a first season upgrade.
    TrainerRoad does work, you just have to commit to it as you have done.

Hope so, im aiming to earn an upgrade this year too to A3 after coming back to racing last year, but mid way through the year so i didnt really have the work done and struggled to get out of the bunch for any length of time.

Hope so, im aiming to earn an upgrade this year too to A3 after coming back to racing last year, but mid way through the year so i didnt really have the work done and struggled to get out of the bunch for any length of time.

Only need to get out of the bunch once... On the line!
    Patience and bottle needed for A4.

Crocked wrote: »
    If you search for ramp test x in Trainerroad you can see it to see how its works
    I did the test yesterday, just waiting on what they reckon my ftp is based on that to compare to the last 20 minute test.

• Advertisement

The 20 minute test is the one ive been doing. Ramp test looks interesting. Shorter, i wonder how accurate it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Will that Ramp test automatically calculate an FTP like the the 20 or 8 min test? And if anyone has done it how does it map on to previous results in terms of accuracy?

Also I fear change.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I only ever do a ramp test as i find it more consistant as i cant screw the pacing because i go till i pop. Their might be days where the legs feel a bit lack luster but overall the results are generally in the same ball park.

On a side note i did test against the 20 min test as you are supposed to do a couple of times and found the result from the step test to be slightly inflated. I now have my personal percentage dialed in to 80.5 as opposed to the 82.5 as the study suggests.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Will that Ramp test automatically calculate an FTP like the the 20 or 8 min test? And if anyone has done it how does it map on to previous results in terms of accuracy?
    They're working on the algorithm's, so it's only in testing and then they apparently send the result. Being impatient, I emailed earlier to ask how to get the result, but going on the facebook testing group, most seem happy with it's accuracy.

Definitely less of a challenge physically and mentally than the 20 minute test, and they reckon you can do a workout after a bit of break after doing it, rather than it being a workout in it's own right.

I was fairly cooked from Saturday's spin, but still interested to see how it compares - setting myself up for disappointment as like I was saying, I don't feel the last 20 minute test went well, but at the same time haven't been confident to up the intensity!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Thanks for the feedback. Will give it a lash this week and see how I go.

Well disappointingly, the ramp Test gave me a 6% lower ftp than what I perceived to be rubbish 20 minute tests! But wasnt going in fresh or after a recovery week.

Well disappointingly, the ramp Test gave me a 6% lower ftp than what I perceived to be rubbish 20 minute tests! But wasnt going in fresh or after a recovery week.

Was it a pointless test then if you weren't fully prepared to maximise your result?

dahat wrote: »
    Was it a pointless test then if you weren't fully prepared to maximise your result?
    Probably, but it's like around 20 minutes in total, and I was just interested to see! I actually think it will be of more benefit for those on a smart trainer to be honest. Looking at it I was overshooting by a few watts each ramp until the point of failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Probably, but it's like around 20 minutes in total, and I was just interested to see! I actually think it will be of more benefit for those on a smart trainer to be honest. Looking at it I was overshooting by a few watts each ramp until the point of failure.

Honestly, a ramp test on a trainer without erg is a bit of a waste. You're better of doing the standard tests as your power fluctuates too much for the steps within a ramp especially when you're about to blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭joey100

I know you say it's disappointing that the ramp test gave you a lower number than the 20 min tests but is it not better to be working off proper zones based on the right number rather than zones based off a higher number? It's the main reason I don't like the way it's called a 'test'. The aim of it is not to get as big a number as you can, you only have to look at the 20 min test history on trainer road to see how many fudge the 5 min clearing effort so they can have a higher 20min average and so a higher FTP. The aim of it is to work out your training zones. I do take that you were tired and not going in fresh, and I'm not having a go at you Macy it's just I've seen a lot of people disappointed when they get a number lower than planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

so if done on a smart trainer....keep in the same gear and allow trainerroad to control??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

so if done on a smart trainer....keep in the same gear and allow trainerroad to control??

I use a tacx flux and find that certain gears will allow it to maintain a closer correlation to the target power for a given target power request.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

yeah I use a tacx bushido, and find when the power goes up, gears can allow it to be a more normal feel...

interested to see does anyone do it or vo2 workouts, without changing gears on erg mode...

joey100 wrote: »
    I know you say it's disappointing that the ramp test gave you a lower number than the 20 min tests but is it not better to be working off proper zones based on the right number rather than zones based off a higher number? It's the main reason I don't like the way it's called a 'test'. The aim of it is not to get as big a number as you can, you only have to look at the 20 min test history on trainer road to see how many fudge the 5 min clearing effort so they can have a higher 20min average and so a higher FTP. The aim of it is to work out your training zones. I do take that you were tired and not going in fresh, and I'm not having a go at you Macy it's just I've seen a lot of people disappointed when they get a number lower than planned.
    I'm completeing the workouts based on the FTP based on 20 minute test on target power, so won't be lowering it based on the ramp test (which is still only under testing by TR, not rolled out).

I was kinda hoping I'd undershot on the 20 minute test, and that's where my disappointment has come from. Pure ego! And I'm not really sure what I was thinking wanting higher numbers before tonights VO2 max intervals really on reflection!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

yeah I use a tacx bushido, and find when the power goes up, gears can allow it to be a more normal feel...

interested to see does anyone do it or vo2 workouts, without changing gears on erg mode...

Not exactly what I mean...

If you have a look at this graph the only difference between the "noisey" and "smoother" intervals is finding the right gear

D6G0a3Ol.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

If using erg mode then changing gears isn't necessary at all since the resistance remains consistent (or tries to, at least) regardless of which gear you are in. To change the feel you can increase or decrease cadence, same effect as changing gear basically.

doozerie wrote: »
    If using erg mode then changing gears isn't necessary at all since the resistance remains consistent (or tries to, at least) regardless of which gear you are in. To change the feel you can increase or decrease cadence, same effect as changing gear basically.

I've never seen it where you've to shift up to hit target wattage but I do know some trainers mechanical limit is lower than that of others. With some trainers, during a recovery period, you may need to shift into an easier gear in order to better hit the wattage target. I think it's called the wattage floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I've never seen it where you've to shift up to hit target wattage but I do know some trainers mechanical limit is lower than that of others. With some trainers, during a recovery period, you may need to shift into an easier gear in order to better hit the wattage target. I think it's called the wattage floor.

I've encountered this when 80 watts is required of the turbo. I always keep my chainline straight and dont shift in erg mode. So when its trying to set the trainer to hold 80 watts i put out 100 as this is the wattage floor on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Ah right, that makes sense alright. I've read about the wattage floor in the past but haven't encountered it, but whether it arises does seem to depend on the trainer itself amongst other things.

• Advertisement

Just a quick update on the Ramp test. Managed to get a standard FTP test in last week and a ramp test last night. Seem to be bang on. FTP was coming out at 300 watts on the standard test and 303 on the Ramp test. This is purely anecdotal and I wouldn't use it as proof of the accuracy of the test but for me it seems to have worked. Now to be honest being on a dumb trainer made the Ramp test pretty difficult and I had advised against doing it on a dumb trainer here before but I seem to have been able to keep power pretty steady and within about 2-3 watts of the target throughout each step. Each step was over or on average target power.

Advertisement