Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your favourite quiz question?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭golfball37

no, the radius has. if it's hovering above the surface of the earth by one foot, the diameter has increased by two foot.

Is it not the circumference we are looking for? The earth is a sphere so a line around the equator is a circumference of a circle essentially

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

read the question again.

it was a silly question. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

golfball37 wrote: »
    Is it not the circumference we are looking for? The earth is a sphere so a line around the equator is a circumference of a circle essentially

it is. So a line that is 1 foot above the ground is 1 foot further from the center of the earth i.e. the radius of the line has increased by 1 foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭interlocked

It’s Roscommon then as the centre of Ireland is just outside Athlone, part of athlone is in Roscommon

It's in Roscommon but not part of Athlone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_centre_of_Ireland

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes - and the circumference is 2 x pi x r

r has increased by one foot, so the figure increases by 2 x pi in feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

How much soil does a round hole contain that measures 5 feet in diameter, and is 16 feet deep ?

The correct answer is none, as a hole is by definition, empty !! :)

yes - and the circumference is 2 x pi x r

r has increased by one foot, so the figure increases by 2 x pi in feet.

Spot on- I learned circumference was pi x D in school hence my confusion- long time ago now. Of course 2r is D which I didn’t cop immediately!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rope will stretch. So you don't need more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What would happen to mercury on Mercury ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

does which side of mercury we're talking about have a bearing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭chooseusername

If the Ring of Kerry is 180km cycling clockwise , how much longer would it
    be anti-clockwise?

i would assume it'd be shorter, because cycling it clockwise would use the outer 'circle' of the roads you'd be cycling it on. cycling it anti-clockwise mean you'd cycle maybe 5-10m inside that route?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭chooseusername

i would assume it'd be shorter, because cycling it clockwise would use the outer 'circle' of the roads you'd be cycling it on. cycling it anti-clockwise mean you'd cycle maybe 5-10m inside that route?
    Well done Magic , poor attempt at a trick question.

who are the longest serving TDs currently still serving as a TD? there are two tied for this honour.

and for a bonus point, which female TD is the longest sitting female TD still holding a seat?

does which side of mercury we're talking about have a bearing?
    Solid at night, a gas by day.

Something I read here, years ago.

Name the spot on the city centre (in Dublin) where you will still find a union flag (union jack)?

and for a bonus point, which female TD is the longest sitting female TD still holding a seat?

Surely Roisin Shorthall?

who are the longest serving TDs currently still serving as a TD? there are two tied for this honour.

Lowry has to be one of them, it’s either Charlie Flanagan or Martin who is the other id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Lowry has to be one of them, it’s either Charlie Flanagan or Martin who is the other id say.

Willie O'Dea I say has sat longer than those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Something I read here, years ago.

Name the spot on the city centre (in Dublin) where you will still find a union flag (union jack)?
    Among the British military flags in St Patrick's Cathedral

Surely Roisin Shorthall?
    correct.

none of the above. it's richard bruton and (as castletownman mentioned) willie o'dea. both elected feb 1982 and have held a seat since.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Carrigtoohil, Croagh Patrick, Sugarloaf, and the Giants Causeway :pac:

Very few tables got all four Fk me - how many even got three?

You didn't even get one! :D

Pherekydes wrote: »
    You didn't even get one! :D

I thought I might've gotten 2 max :p Pretty sure Carrigtoohil is good - thought that was another name for Carrauntoohil - ah well, tis all endemic now... :pac:

Earregardless, a question: When someone uses incorrect words or phrases while speaking, these are known as malapropisms. What author created the character, from whom the word 'Malapropism' is derived.

can you name the married couple who both currently are TDs?

What author created the character, from whom the word 'Malapropism' is derived.
    i have a vague memory it was conan doyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Earregardless, a question: When someone uses incorrect words or phrases while speaking, these are known as malapropisms. What author created the character, from whom the word 'Malapropism' is derived.
    The Irish-born Richard Brinsley Sheridan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

can you name the married couple who both currently are TDs?

You might be thinking of Holly Cairns and Christopher O'Sullivan, but....
    https://www.southernstar.ie/news/holly-and-christopher-call-time-on-relationship-4216532

• Advertisement

i have a vague memory it was conan doyle?

:( Nope

Advertisement