Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm a lady! A very refined, piano-playing-in-my-dreams lady. :p

wait, liberace wasn't a lady?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

nibtrix wrote: »
    I can't get over this house...

The weird columns . . .

102662_WellLane1LowFellGateshead_IMG_44_0000.jpeg

I think the columns are structural, and part of the original industrial building - the bottoms of them seem to be in the TV-room-cum-gymnasium (why are the supports for the weights positioned so that the bar will is directly in the way of anybody trying to get in/out of the sofa and directly in the line-of-sight to the TV - you're stuffed if there's a heavy set of weights attached and you can't lift the bar off the get to the seats.

And how close is the top of those stairs to the ceiling? - all the ceilings look quite low actually. And there seems to be a distinct lack of electrical sockets around the place.

The last time I saw something like this was in 2005 when the film Downfall was released - the one set largely in the Fuhrerbunker during the last days of the Third Reich (without all the shag-pile obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

wait, liberace wasn't a lady?

Well, i suppose he might as well have been ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Ard Mhor is not Jobstown. (Why do people insist on labelling everything within 30 minutes walk of Jobstown as Jobstown?)

Ard Mhor sits between Brookview estate, which is Brookfield, and Citywest.

IIRC Ard Mhor was originally built as either affordable housing or shared ownership. Some Respond housing association units in there too, have a friend (who ironically works for SDCC housing section) living in a Respond apartment there.

One does not simply walk into Ard Mhor.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Ard Mhor is not Jobstown. (Why do people insist on labelling everything within 30 minutes walk of Jobstown as Jobstown?)

Ard Mhor sits between Brookview estate, which is Brookfield, and Citywest.

According to the Property Registration Authority's landdirect.ie, Ard Mor, and the house in question, is in Fortunestown:

549501.png

• Advertisement

Fortunestown, which is not Jobstown.

Barony: Newcastle.

Jobstown ends at Jobstown Road and there are a couple of estates that divide Jobstown and Ard Mhor, Swiftbrook, Russell Court, Brookview and MacUilliam among them.

@Nullzero, I haven't been up to visit my friend in Ard Mhor since Christmas 2019 (covid) so its been a while! I agree it has gone very downhill since it was built.

humberklog wrote: »
    I really like the Art Nouveau wall lamps that are in the kitchen but they're using them to "frame" an extractor fan flume?

The brass surround in the piano room door, the handles on kitchen cabinets and the oven colour all give it a dash of a 1990's Changing Rooms make-over vibe.

giphy.gif

:p

549507.PNG

It looks like a 1980's function room in a 30 bed hotel in Leitrim.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Saw this on the 'ugly houses' instagram story...real or not?

549543.png

549543.png
    Be handy to be able to open the door to guests while in the bath.

"Hi John, come in .... Jesus, don't fall in on top of me!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Identity of 'LaChatteGitane' confirmed :p

549423.jpeg

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

549543.png

I sort of like it.
    If somebody comes to the door you can nearly open the door whilst in the bath and you can also keep an eye on your dinner cooking.

The worst thing is, as soon as I saw it I didn't think 'jesus the bath and toilet are in the main area' Instead I thought 'the angle of that bath wastes space a bit'

Well believable that this is real and I need to find out if it is or not :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

549543.png

It's a movable bath. Once you've finished you can bring it over to the sink and wash your dishes in it and then back over to the toilet and dump the contents down the Jack's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

The worst thing is, as soon as I saw it I didn't think 'jesus the bath and toilet are in the main area' Instead I thought 'the angle of that bath wastes space a bit'

Well believable that this is real and I need to find out if it is or not :pac:

I'm not sure it's real.
    Wouldn't the wall mounted light switch in the wet zone be in breach of regs?
    Either the plumber or the sparks (cowboys or not) would be hung out to dry as well as the landlord if anyone got zapped from that set up.

josip wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's real.
    Wouldn't the wall mounted light switch in the wet zone be in breach of regs?
    Either the plumber or the sparks (cowboys or not) would be hung out to dry as well as the landlord if anyone got zapped from that set up.

I reckon (hope) it was an April fools joke or something and is still going round...but if it was just posted on some dodgy FB group, could very well be real. I mean, the rental market is so bad, that it is believable.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

'...with easy access to the front door' :D

Oh my God look at this :D

:D:D

Excuse me, I need to artfully display my knickers along the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Fantastic Darling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I think I've been in that house! Or there's more than one in Cork with that decor..

rain on wrote: »
    I think I've been in that house! Or there's more than one in Cork with that decor..

Did you hump the sink?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Aside from the dodgy sink and knickers on the wall, I can never understand having carpet in a bathroom. I can nearly smell the mould/p1ss etc. from here.

:D:D

Excuse me, I need to artfully display my knickers along the wall.

Trophies/Mementos

Trophies/Mementos

That's surely a woman's bathroom? A fan of burlesque and Dita Von Teese I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Not a good sign when you throw your underwear at the wall, and they stick.

That's surely a woman's bathroom? A fan of burlesque and Dita Von Teese I'd imagine.

And couldn't they still be trophies/mementos ? :)

And couldn't they still be trophies/mementos ? :)

Do you know many men or women who do that?

Do you know many men or women who do that?

I've heard a few (male) claim to do it, but only one I can be sure about who I used to share a house with.
    Although he never did wall mount them.
    Most of his victims either didn't realise/mind, but there was one who suspected what he was at and kicked up an awful fuss about having to go home commando.

• Advertisement

I've heard a few (male) claim to do it, but only one I can be sure about who I used to share a house with.
    Although he never did wall mount them.
    Most of his victims either didn't realise/mind, but there was one who suspected what he was at and kicked up an awful fuss about having to go home commando.

I don’t think I'd like a collection of worn underwear lying about! :D

Advertisement