Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work meeting

• 06-04-2021 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

A situation has come up where I’m being asked to attend a meeting tomorrow afternoon with 15 other people indoors...

So that’s 15 households mixing for something that could be done on Teams.. This is boll0cks as far as I’m concerned and breaks a number of current health guidelines. I’m not even seeing family at the moment and I’ll be fu(ked if i’m going to risk catching covid at a bloody meeting.

What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,283 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Say you've a sore throat and dry cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,016 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Say you are awaiting test results of a close contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

So that’s 15 households mixing for something that could be done on Teams.. This is boll0cks as far as I’m concerned and breaks a number of current health guidelines. I’m not even seeing family at the moment and I’ll be fu(ked if i’m going to risk catching covid at a bloody meeting.

Just say what you’ve said above to your boss / the meeting organiser. Adjust for appropriate language if you need to, but you've summed it up perfectly there. You should have the option to join the meeting remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Go and lick everyone's face. There's a small chance you may catch covid but you definitely won't be invited again

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭JPup

You need to say to the organiser that it’s not on to be holding a meeting like that at the moment. If you feel you are too junior to say it, go through HR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

A situation has come up where I’m being asked to attend a meeting tomorrow afternoon with 15 other people indoors...

What would you do?
    Bitch about it to the 13 others who didn't organise the meeting, then conspire for nobody to show up.

Must be the last straw.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

What would you do?

Nothing. Then about 5 mins before the meeting asked for the video link as it was left off your invite. Oh dear, sorry about the misunderstanding, guess you’ll have to do it without me....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Tell them you're just back from Dubai

• Registered Users Posts: 11,850 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Serious answer.

Tell them you are concerned about Covid precautions and will attend remotely.

Put it in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,753 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Is there an e-mail invite ? Ring your local Garda station, ask for an email of whomever you speak to, forward them the invite.

If it’s not been put in writing, call, tell them time, place of meeting , who invited you etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,796 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I just simply wouldn't go, but I would have made my concerns clear beforehand. Would want to be some company to fire you for not attending a gathering during Covid.

So, how did it go? What did you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

If this is a staff meeting at St.Gerard's in Bray then you guys are good to go.
    Otherwise it's an unreasonable risk not to be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Strumms wrote: »
    Is there an e-mail invite ? Ring your local Garda station, ask for an email of whomever you speak to, forward them the invite.

If it’s not been put in writing, call, tell them time, place of meeting , who invited you etc...

You do realise it is not a crime????

The guidelines are "people should work from home where possible". There's no law saying you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Who is your covid officer? Get them to explain the precautions that are being taken. Temps and decelerations for everyone and a brief explanation of why it can't be done remotely would be the least they should be enforcing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

So essentially do nothing, right?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Say you have a bad dose of long covid and you slept in and missed the meeting.tell them long covid also causes you massive fits of work induced rage aswell.
    You can blame anything on the long covid

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Alot of questionable advice here. Just tell the truth, either to your line manager or the meeting organiser.

dotsman wrote: »
    You do realise it is not a crime????

The guidelines are "people should work from home where possible". There's no law saying you have to.

Level 5 restrictions....

“Work from home, unless your work is an essential service that cannot be done from home.”

Level 5 restrictions are in place now.

Current restrictions are set out in the Health Act 1947 (Section 31A - Temporary Restrictions) (COVID-19) (No. 10)

These are not guidelines. It’s the law.

Zoom and a multitude of other apps / technology are being used by responsible and health focused businesses worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

“Work from home, unless your work is an essential service that cannot be done from home.”

And the company can deem that the person is doing an essential service (the definition is extremely broad).

I'm not saying it is ethically or morally right. But from a criminal perspective, there is no crime being committed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tell them you just broke your hip.

Break your hip.

• Advertisement

dotsman wrote: »
    And the company can deem that the person is doing an essential service (the definition is extremely broad).

I'm not saying it is ethically or morally right. But from a criminal perspective, there is no crime being committed here.

If they are on the list of essential services they can, if not and the Gardai are willing to put their foot down....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So that’s 15 households mixing for something that could be done on Teams..

If it could be done on Teams, it would be.

Go to the meeting. Get there right on the start time. Wear a mask. No, make it double masks. Make sure the windows are wide open, and the chairs are at least 2m apart.

Listen very carefully for key dates like when you redundancy will be paid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Secretly record the meeting, threaten to go the guards with the footage unless the boss gives you their job and/or a hand job.

Once you are boss, fire everyone and replace them with cute puppies

Advertisement