Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting youtube channels

• 05-04-2021 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭

Youtube doesn't seem to be offering up anything of interest of late for me, so anybody got any recommendations?

I'd recommend project blinky if you haven't watched it.

🙈🙉🙊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Youtube doesn't seem to be offering up anything of interest of late for me, so anybody got any recommendations?

I'd recommend project blinky if you haven't watched it.

Tom Scott does interesting bite size videos usually between three and eight minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Sideprojects, business blaze, top tenz....all by the same guy. Can be very interesting.

I've largely stopped watching videos from guys like the one above, who are purely making videos based on trends, and really they're just presenters with no expertise.

Some people like Tom Scott and Smarter Every Day do have the credibility to make videos on a wide range of subjects because they actually go out and meet the people involved and see the things they talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I find Mr Ballens channel very interesting despite the cheesy pictures that show up like below. Some fascinating events told in story format.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

“Pakistani Truck” they rebuild and update standard trucks using basic tools, manual processes and no health and safety. (Similar page, Pakistani trucks, not to be confused)

“The Skills”, basic small scale production using old and basic tools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Rob Gavagan" - true crime based about serial killers/dissapearances etc.

"Dead Meat" - If you like horror films he does kill counts that count each kill from movies. Hes pretty funny and it could kill like 20 minutes, he throws in behind the scenes details aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Veritasium
    Vsauce
    3Blue1Brown
    MinutePhysics
    Sixty Symbols
    Numberphile

I like science and maths...but they have a lot of interesting popular science videos and things that relate to everyday life.

Also, Ozzy Man Reviews is always worth a a watch.

If you have a proper interest in something, I'd recommend the Great Courses Plus. Try the trial. If it's good enough for Bill Gates, it's good enough for me.

I watched a 12-hour series on the Rise of the Roman Republic by a professor in the US and it was excellent. You wouldn't get anything close to it on YT.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Veritasium
    Vsauce
    3Blue1Brown
    MinutePhysics
    Sixty Symbols
    Numberphile

I like science and maths...but they have a lot of interesting popular science videos and things that relate to everyday life.

Also, Ozzy Man Reviews is always worth a a watch.

Yeah +1 on Ozzy Man just stumbled across his channel a week ago hes funny and video's are short.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

I religiously watch 'that chapter', it's an Irish guy who tells largely american murder stories.

I presume you have heard of bald and bankrupt? He seems to have a lot of interest garnered on boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Curious Droid is quite good for short 10 minute long videos on space and aerospace related things.he explains concepts quiet well.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UC726J5A0LLFRxQ0SZqr2mYQ

Deadliest Roads on the "Free Documentary" channel are also worth a watch.
    https://youtube.com/c/FreeDocumentary

I've largely stopped watching videos from guys like the one above, who are purely making videos based on trends, and really they're just presenters with no expertise.

Some people like Tom Scott and Smarter Every Day do have the credibility to make videos on a wide range of subjects because they actually go out and meet the people involved and see the things they talk about.

I see where you are coming from, for me, it matters not a fcuk when I am just wasting a bit of time before bed. Credibility isn't necessary for light entertainment purposes.

I have also been watching Tom Scott for years, a magnificent man! I also watch Pawn Stars on Youtube....forgive my lowbrow-ness.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,979 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mark Rober if you like science/electronic for pranks home-made gadgets and other creative uses.

Glitter and stink bombing thieves who steal packages

Squirrel obstacle course in the back garden

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

OP, check out Colin Furze also. Fantastically experienced in his field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Wendover Productions
    Alternative History Hub
    Tom Nicholas
    Jack Tran
    School of Life
    Shred Bundy

I need to work on my subs so I remember more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

SuperEyepatchWolf is the only Irish Youtuber I think I watch. He usually covers videogames and movies, but he did this video on fake Martial Arts I really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

An Irish Youtuber that I like is DatingGuy. A very insightful person with a great way of discussing breakups and personal growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Voices of the past. Link.

They read out people's diaries, diplomatic reports, and essays, about visits to foreign countries, major global events, and whatnot, from back in the day. It's fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Stuff made here is very good. A young engineer making robots to do odd stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SnazzyPig

History Oversimplified can be very informative while sometines hilarious.

History in bite-sezed chunks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Steve Wallis is great. He's Canadian and does stealth camping vids. But his idea of bush craft is buying a bale of logs and lighting them with a blow torch. He usually does a video a week and is well worth watching for some good, clean wholesome fun.

Regular Car Reviews, 2 Pennsylvanian chaps reviewing regular cars.

Bald and Bankrupt is repetitive but still can be interesting. He wanders around old Soviet countries and towns filming his interactions. He's fluent enough in Russian too which gives a good insight into the everyday people.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I'd recommend Dark Simpsons and Darker Simpsons.

It's Simpsons clips mostly from classic episodes but edited together to create new storylines with some very dark and very funny humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

My fiancée watches Good Mythical Morning. Their channel mostly comprises of taste tests, food comparisons, "will it" videos and other food-based content but they do other little experiments as well. They sometimes do competitive challenges too. Their setup is very well done and I think the two lads on it have been doing videos most of their adult life, being in their mid 40s as well.

I find their content pretty enjoyable. They can be quite addictive to watch and can be really funny at times. One of the lads on it has a weak tolerance for certain foods and will often retch and gag at the taste or smell of it, it's rather hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

humberklog wrote: »
    Steve Wallis is great. He's Canadian and does stealth camping vids. But his idea of bush craft is buying a bale of logs and lighting them with a blow torch. He usually does a video a week and is well worth watching for some good, clean wholesome fun.

Regular Car Reviews, 2 Pennsylvanian chaps reviewing regular cars.

Bald and Bankrupt is repetitive but still can be interesting. He wanders around old Soviet countries and towns filming his interactions. He's fluent enough in Russian too which gives a good insight into the everyday people.

Have been binge watching Bald and Bankrupt this weekend. I had seen a few of his videos in past but
    As you said a lot of the videos are very similar, but definitely shocks how people Live in poorer countries and the level of poverty . You can easily see why they drink so much .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

WW2 History Hunter

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thlint

Fall of civilizations is a high production values well presented history from the point of view of the people living through the collapse of their civilization. Might look slightly long but easily as good as any programs that the BBC produce.
    Also on podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Judge Jeffrey Middleton, live streams minor misdeameanors and crime, the guy is a character tho, very funny.
    Unicorn riot,...live streams riots in usa, live streaming the Chauvin trial at the moment
    Salvatore Sammy The Bull Gravano ,mafia guy tells great stories
    TinyKittens HQ ,live streams kittens lol
    live on patrol , 2 cops live stream their patrol, can be interesting at times, they are two old dudes tho and they just drive around mostly
    ScammerRevolts ,scamming scammers...its ok
    Kings and Generals ,docs on history
    Jim Browning ,the best scammer of scammers , brilliant content
    LockPickingLawyer ,picks padlocks and stuff
    Free Documentary ,docs on stuff
    Study Vibes ,live streams for studying, sometimes motivational, most times not
    Air Safety Institute ,air accident reports, very interesting and informative
    Documentary Base ,more docs
    Ross Slots ,live streams of a dude playin slots
    GavsWeatherVids ,good weather updates
    GilstrapTV ,fart pranks , funny
    Mentour Pilot ,airplanes and how to fly ....
    Free High-Quality Documentaries
    EXPLORE WITH US ,crime docs and other stuff

that should keep u going

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Just from my own subscriptions.

CinemaSins - Comedy channel that lists sins in movies

Ben G Thomas - Life and Science channel for those who like science and history

Daily Dose of Internet - Showcases the best trending internet videos

Kevin Smith - Features Kevin Smith's podcasts for those who enjoy listening to him talk (sometimes for hours)

Funhaus - Comedy gaming channel for those who like playing video games and having a bit of a laugh

History of the Ages - Lord of the Rings channel for those who like Lord of the Rings lore

There are some other channels but those are one I frequent the most.

Lindybeige has some good historical/military talks - less of a fan of the nerdier stuff.
    Numberphile for mathsy videos - more interesting than you'd expect.
    As is Simon Roper - linguistics, emphasis on Old English, again something different to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

blaris wrote: »
    Lindybeige has some good historical/military talks - less of a fan of the nerdier stuff.

I don't really trust his takes on things.
    Tod's workshop has some gems of videos if you like that especially when he gets actual scholars such as the guy from the Wallace Collection on. This video is interesting if you watch historic TV shows and films.

I also forgot in my previous post to mention Steve1989MRE and his strangely hypnotic reviews of military packed meals.

Advertisement