Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most boring chef on TV

• 03-04-2021 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I’m sick in bed, very short attention span and stamina.
    So watching a fair bit of TV, mostly cookery, home improvements and other stuff that just keeps my brain ticking over.
    I was wondering who would you say is the most boring chef with their own program on tv at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The chef in Fawlty Towers wasn't very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I was wondering who would you say is the most boring chef with their own program on tv at the moment.

I wouldnt know, I change the channel or do something else if a chef is boring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Damien360

Nigel Slater. Very slow talker, talks waffle which bears no connection to the food he is cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Old fat tongue Jamie Oliver. Never could stand the prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Derry what’s his name with the D4 accent is a thundering dose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Most of the TV chefs are a pain in the hole. The egos of some of them would light up a city if you could harness them to the grid.

Watching other people cook, but you don't get to taste it, how is that entertainment?

I remember being forced to watch some series on Netflix, I think it was called The "Art" of Food or something. It had already gotten off to a bad start with a title like that, but sweet baby jesus, I have never been more bored in my life. And I've seen Waiting for Godot. Just wanted to end it all there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Derry what’s his name with the D4 accent is a thundering dose.

Is that Darina Allens brother?

Oh wait that's Rory o Connell I'm thinking of

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Nevin Maguire, so he is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I don't cook beyond the absolute basics (probably not even reaching basic standards for most people) and only for myself, yet I love cooking shows. No idea why as I wouldn't eat half what they cook either. I also love reading the food posts here on boards fir some weird reason.

For me the two tv "chefs" I always switch off are Rachel Allen and Nigella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭4Ad

I don't cook beyond the absolute basics (probably not even reaching basic standards for most people) and only for myself, yet I love cooking shows. No idea why as I wouldn't eat half what they cook either. I also love reading the food posts here on boards fir some weird reason.

Rachael Allens accent does my head in..

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

4Ad wrote: »

Yes, It's so contrived. She should be ashamed of herself sounding like that at her age.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Youtube is far better for cooking shows. Lots of good stuff, wouldn't bother with a tv cooking show anymore unless its something like the bakeoff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I always thought Kevin Dundon was a bit of a bore. He lacks charisma and he sometimes comes across as too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Old fat tongue Jamie Oliver. Never could stand the prick.

Reminds me that he got roasted for his Spanish paella and African dishes on his YouTube channel. People from those countries slated him saying it was nothing like what they should be. I guess to give an example it would be like adding curry powder to a stew and calling it an Irish stew. No Jamie, it isn't haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

Nigella is definitely a "turn on", but the way her program uses soft focus is annoying. As if she needs to be made more sexy. :rolleyes:

I can't stand Rachel Allen's bizarre accent. Jamie Oliver includes too much unnecessary "messing" - just cook the bloody stuff. Rick Stein wasn't bad, and there was always the possibility of a bit of crankiness to spice things up.

I enjoy Masterchef, though, and while Greg Wallace (not a chef, I know) wouldn't be top of my list of people to go for a pint with, I don't get the hate for him that seems to be widespread. John Torode has really bad lockdown hair this year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭phormium

Nigel Slater for me too, don't like the way he goes on! Can't watch Rachel either, I like James Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Nevin McSonre

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Is that Darina Allens brother?

Oh wait that's Rory o Connell I'm thinking of

Derry Clark maybe?

• Advertisement

Derry Clarke is an extremely nice man, and had a terrible personal tragedy in his life a few years back.

He speaks the way he speaks.

That new ginger lad on RTÉ. Something just not right about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Watching other people cook, but you don't get to taste it, how is that entertainment?

I remember being forced to watch some series on Netflix, I think it was called The "Art" of Food or something. It had already gotten off to a bad start with a title like that, but sweet baby jesus, I have never been more bored in my life. And I've seen Waiting for Godot. Just wanted to end it all there and then.

I was supposed to go see Waiting for Godot, it was the Sunday matinee, but they cancelled it because of a no-show, so I went to mass instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

4Ad wrote: »

Enjoy this then, absolutely priceless :)

https://youtu.be/1jrR3--hKNg

And yes she's painful to listen too

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

They should commission a show where they follow a bunch of uni students cooking exploits for a month and then serve it up to Michelin star chefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Jamie Oliver, wanker

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Enjoy this then, absolutely priceless :)

https://youtu.be/1jrR3--hKNg

And yes she's painful to listen too

Jesus, Oliver Callan is a painfully unfunny man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

hahaha having tried once to watch it on tv with a couple of luvvie actors hamming it up, your comment tickled me.

I think I know the series you suffered through. Daughter tried to get me to watch it. I think the highlights did for me in the intro.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm not a violent person but I think I would punch Donal Skehan if I met him.

Boring, maybe.
    Head wreck and fraud, absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I was supposed to go see Waiting for Godot, it was the Sunday matinee, but they cancelled it because of a no-show, so I went to mass instead.

Ahhh, Waiting for God.

Advertisement