Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online passport renewal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Why do we have to pay for passports? What right does the State have to do this to us? Am I not Irish if I can't pony up their blood money?

Sure just stay at home as a protest, that'll show them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Why do we have to pay for passports? What right does the State have to do this to us? Am I not Irish if I can't pony up their blood money?

Have you a driver's license? Did you pony up blood money for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Sister in law did it last year with just over a month to go till going on hols. Uploaded all details and didn’t hear anything. Contacted 2 weeks later and and no one knew what was up with the delay. Few days later came back saying the photo was not good enough, despite being accepted initially. Back and forth over the next two weeks and finally got passport 1 day before departure. Had to get my daughters done and was les than a month till departure, so just went in and did it in passport office. Normally used the passport express and was always perfect, but I think with brexit talks, there was a huge increase in applications

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

It shows that we are capable of getting things right on occasion. Used it last summer, 3 days from submitting the application to receiving the passport. Its fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

silverharp wrote: »
    surprised but I thought it was very good , I thought you had to offer your first born to get one. A bit of flaffing taking a photo in the right light that it would accept but no schlepping down to Garda stations and it was quick. Probably a big money spinner now with all the plastic paddies in the UK

Not forgetting us lads in the 6 counties , 2 passports each :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

jimgoose wrote: »
    Have you a driver's license? Did you pony up blood money for that?

Completely different and you know it. The passport is recognised internationally as a physical representation of your citizenship of a state. Why should I have to pay for that? Next you'll want us to pony up for our PPS number

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Does it validate the photo at the time of upload/submitting the form? As in if the form submits its whatever photo you supply does that mean it is guaranteed to be acceptable?
    Wouldn't want to go through the process, send off the form only for it to bounce back hours/days/weeks later saying the photo wasn't acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

It told me two days after I applied that I'd have to submit a new photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Completely different and you know it. The passport is recognised internationally as a physical representation of your citizenship of a state. Why should I have to pay for that? Next you'll want us to pony up for our PPS number

The driver's license is recognised internationally as a physical representation of your entitlement under this jurisdiction to operate a motor vehicle on the public thoroughfare. Why should I have to pay for that? Next you'll want us to pony up for our telephone number. Oh...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It’s other states who require passports, you don’t need one to stay in Ireland.

How long does it take to have a Passport Card processed and delivered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

a passport is a week or less so it should be the same for a passport card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

I was living in swtizerland when they came out first and ordered one pretty early. I think I had it in my hands 5 working days later, including postage to Switzerland. I was shocked - never seen anything so efficient from Ireland in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

It told me two days after I applied that I'd have to submit a new photo.

Thanks. That's a bit crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

Passports should deffo be free to people residing most of the year in Ireland. Applicants living abroad should have to pay more to offset the costs. They're the ones getting the most benefit from it and don't pay other taxes to the state, so only fair that they pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I got mine renewed online as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Passports should deffo be free to people residing most of the year in Ireland. Applicants living abroad should have to pay more to offset the costs. They're the ones getting the most benefit from it and don't pay other taxes to the state, so only fair that they pay more.

I'm quite happy to pay my €75 every 10 years - especially when I get it in 3 days and it's so easy to do online.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

Hi,

I applied for a new passport yesterday 7th. It's currently in 'processing' stage according to the tracker. I travel to the US on 19th of this month. I'm confident I'll have the passport by then but just realised my ESTA is out of date.
    I read you need 72hrs before applying for the ESTA....if this is the case I may not have the passport in time to complete the form.

The passport office is closed on the weekends. I'm thinking of ringing up first thing Monday morning and cancelling my new passport? My original passport would still be valid for this trip.

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

wacotaco wrote: »
    Hi,

I applied for a new passport yesterday 7th. It's currently in 'processing' stage according to the tracker. I travel to the US on 19th of this month. I'm confident I'll have the passport by then but just realised my ESTA is out of date.
    I read you need 72hrs before applying for the ESTA....if this is the case I may not have the passport in time to complete the form.

The passport office is closed on the weekends. I'm thinking of ringing up first thing Monday morning and cancelling my new passport? My original passport would still be valid for this trip.

Any help appreciated.

Definitely ring up, I did and they sped the process along for me. Be extra nice, they deal with a lot of a$$holes and are obviously more willing to go the extra mile for people who are sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

SO you want to cost of running the high security passport printing operation to be borne by everyone, instead of those who actually want passports?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

biketard wrote: »
    Just did this on Monday. Renewed passport and applied for first card. Admittedly it was a bit fussy about the photo, but I managed to get one accepted by changing how the picture was cropped. I'm in Edinburgh, so this saved me a load of hassle.

Will post here when I receive it, although it said it was estimating Friday next week.

My passport arrived today, so that was a week and a day to Edinburgh (actually more like just a week since I ordered it in the evening). Very impressed. Card still to arrive and it's still saying Friday for that. Will update when it arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Got mine a few months ago. Went to one of the booths are the local petrol station. Filled it in online with the code. My passport arrived less than 24 hours later. I couldn't believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Do you wear glasses ?
    I do and it's impossible to get a photo with glasses to work, just took them off ...

I wear glasses and it accepted my photo taken with iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

My passport was printed on Tuesday but still hasnt been posted. I travel On Wednesday but need to sort my ESTA also.

The person on webchat told me I can use my old passport if the new one doesnt arrive... anyone know if this is correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Just did this on Monday. Renewed passport and applied for first card. Admittedly it was a bit fussy about the photo, but I managed to get one accepted by changing how the picture was cropped. I'm in Edinburgh, so this saved me a load of hassle.

Will post here when I receive it, although it said it was estimating Friday next week.
    My passport arrived today, so that was a week and a day to Edinburgh (actually more like just a week since I ordered it in the evening). Very impressed. Card still to arrive and it's still saying Friday for that. Will update when it arrives.

My card arrived on Friday as originally predicted. That means the passport took a week and the card took a week and three days (both to Edinburgh). Very impressed overall.

My card arrived on Friday as originally predicted. That means the passport took a week and the card took a week and three days (both to Edinburgh). Very impressed overall.

I wasnt aware you could do passport renewals if you were living abroad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Sounds nice enough.

I have to go to the Dutch embassy every 10 years. take time off and pay double of what it would cost me in NL.

And taking a pic with your phone acceptable?
    There is only 1 photographer in Dublin who can pull off an acceptable picture for a Dutch passport.

I have to say, there is enough wrong in this country (but where isnt that the case?) but services like Revenue, passports, driver license are a lot more customer friendly here than where i come from.
    Here they seem to actually want to help you while i am used to be treated as a nuisance at home at those particular offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's awesome now, hands down one of the best services I have used online, anywhere. It is now so painless. Previously I would have to get photos taken somewhere, get a Notar to sign forms, send it all off to the embassy in Berlin, they would forward to Dublin who would then send the passport to Berlin and they would send it to me. Was a lot of effort.

Now I just take a selfie, upload it to the site and 3 days later I have it delivered. You can't get any better than that. Kudos to the government on this one.

jester77 wrote: »
    It's awesome now, hands down one of the best services I have used online, anywhere. It is now so painless. Previously I would have to get photos taken somewhere, get a Notar to sign forms, send it all off to the embassy in Berlin, they would forward to Dublin who would then send the passport to Berlin and they would send it to me. Was a lot of effort.

Now I just take a selfie, upload it to the site and 3 days later I have it delivered. You can't get any better than that. Kudos to the government on this one.

Fair play to them so. I have a brother in England and for his last renewal he had to travel to London to apply for a renewal in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Marcos

Fair play to them so. I have a brother in England and for his last renewal he had to travel to London to apply for a renewal in person.

I think he'd be better to use one of the approved photo booths that send the code rather than faffing around with a selfie and risking them saying it's not correct so has to be redone.

I used one of them, applied for my passport on a Sunday evening and got the the passport on Wednesday. Excellent service.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What rubbish. Every country in the world charges for passports.

It's not a representation of your citizenship it's a document giving you the right to travel to other countries and only required if you choose to travel so it's only right that you have to pay for it as you actually don't need one to live in the state or interact with the government.

However you do need a PPS number to live in the state and there's no charge for that as it's a state imposed requirement.

Advertisement