Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I responsible for cutting the hedge on my Neighbour’s side

Comments

Dav010 wrote: »
    That this is all about the op justifying his own actions, ie not wanting to go into neighbors property to cut the trees.

The op asked about the legal requirement to do so, there is none.

I said he's been given his answer, legally soeaking, yet keeps trying to give "reasons" why the neighbour should be happy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Did you not see the part where I said I think that the law needs changing?

You know where I think the law is not sufficient at all in this area

I did see the point you made all be it I don't agree with it. I don't think it's at all necessary for the law to cover every tiny aspect of everyday life.

It's a hedge, not a crop of invading triffids. If it's growing into your garden and you think it needs trimming, grab a clippers and knock yourself out. It's worked that way for generations apart from the odd numb nuts that gets some bizarre notion.

Graham wrote: »
    I did see the point you made all be it I don't agree with it. I don't think it's at all necessary for the law to cover every tiny aspect of everyday life.

It's a hedge, not a crop of invading triffids. If it's growing into your garden and you think it needs trimming, grab a clippers and knock yourself out. It's worked that way for generations apart from the odd numb nuts that gets some bizarre notion.

Sure it's a minor thing as the OP cuts the top. I've seen issues start between neighbours because you end uo with overgrown 15 foot hedges completely shading gardens and trees planted at the border which can not be cut because your not allowed unbalance a tree.

You think it's an odd issue between neighbours?

Read first paragraph alone

https://treecouncil.ie/tree-advice/trees-law/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Different scenario, different discussion, my response would probably have been different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Kaskade wrote: »
    I have arranged to cut their side before the new owner takes over and I will happily hand over the keys knowing that I’m not handing over a problem.

Id say there will be a problem regardless.
    The new owners will move in and be told that they will be maintaining both sides of the hedge as the previous owners used to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

9935452 wrote: »
    Id say there will be a problem regardless.
    The new owners will move in and be told that they will be maintaining both sides of the hedge as the previous owners used to

Or they might just tear it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think the law is if a tree or a plant is over hanging your property ,
    you can cut it back,
    it,s not your job to worry about balancing a tree .Your neighbour doe,s not the right to have a hedge or a tree overhanging your land .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

riclad wrote: »
    it,s not your job to worry about balancing a tree .Your neighbour doe,s not the right to have a hedge or a tree overhanging your land .

Unfortunately current it is your job, you will have issues if you cause instability through pruning. And unfortunately currently they have every right to have a hedge or tree overhanging your land.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sure it's a minor thing as the OP cuts the top. I've seen issues start between neighbours because you end uo with overgrown 15 foot hedges completely shading gardens and trees planted at the border which can not be cut because your not allowed unbalance a tree.

You think it's an odd issue between neighbours?

Read first paragraph alone

https://treecouncil.ie/tree-advice/trees-law/

Nothing surprises me any more. At one rental there were tall conifers that were twice the height of the 2 storey house just across the narrow lane. nb the lane itself was a disputed right of way... My landlord had been refused insurance on the house as they were so unstable and dangerous. They were on the neighbour;s land and there was no way he was about to get them topped. This was atop a mountain in Kerry so the gales were.... interesting. Landlord has sold now so someone else's problem.

Never met these problems anywhere but Ireland.

Graham wrote: »
    Different scenario, different discussion, my response would probably have been different.

Which is why I said that the OP has no legal requirement to do anything but, overall, I think that the law needs to be changed to prevent these issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Graces7 wrote: »
    Nothing surprises me any more. At one rental there were tall conifers that were twice the height of the 2 storey house just across the narrow lane. nb the lane itself was a disputed right of way... My landlord had been refused insurance on the house as they were so unstable and dangerous. They were on the neighbour;s land and there was no way he was about to get them topped. This was atop a mountain in Kerry so the gales were.... interesting. Landlord has sold now so someone else's problem.

"Anywhere but Ireland" ???

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9508923/couple-face-having-their-home-repossessed-after-row-with-neighbour-over-garden-hedge/

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/neighbours-fall-out-over-boundary-2903275

And numerous others...

fineso.mom wrote: »

sigh... been away too long clearly. NOT! Maybe they are Irish folk! (oops!) I never saw this until I came to Ireland 20 years ago though. Not like it is here .

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭paulieeye

:pac:

Ireland is the only place that has neighbourly disputes??

Could it be that you've just lived here for 20 years so that is your only point of reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

sigh... been away too long clearly. NOT! Maybe they are Irish folk! (oops!) I never saw this until I came to Ireland 20 years ago though. Not like it is here .

I think you must be joking ? Are you actually suggesting that boundary fence/wall/hedge disputes are unique to Ireland? While at the same time suggesting that the two stories I linked are maybe Irish?
    Really? As an Irish person I am quite insulted by that statement.
    Edit... actually I'm more amused than insulted so ignore that last line.

fineso.mom wrote: »
    I think you must be joking ? Are you actually suggesting that boundary fence/wall/hedge disputes are unique to Ireland? While at the same time suggesting that the two stories I linked are maybe Irish?
    Really? As an Irish person I am quite insulted by that statement.
    Edit... actually I'm more amused than insulted so ignore that last line.

lol... In all my nearly 70 years in the Uk I never heard of or experienced disputes like I have seen and experienced here. There was a huge boundary dispute at the very first place I rented here and since then many others. Court cases, threats, etc etc.

All I can go on is my own considerable experience . Seen and heard some bitter stuff here. In Kerry even a TD and his neighbour coming to blows over it and both ending up in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

lol... In all my nearly 70 years in the Uk I never heard of or experienced disputes like I have seen and experienced here. There was a huge boundary dispute at the very first place I rented here and since then many others. Court cases, threats, etc etc.

All I can go on is my own considerable experience . Seen and heard some bitter stuff here. In Kerry even a TD and his neighbour coming to blows over it and both ending up in hospital.

Interesting, I have lived in the UK and US and saw a number of conflicts between neighbours, and heard of conflicts from friends. Saying it is a uniquely Irish issue is to accept that neighbours everywhere else do not have conflict. That in itself is a unique viewpoint.

Kerry people are mad, everyone from Cork knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Wow, I love all the judgements and assumptions trying to flip this round onto me! As I said earlier I’m not getting into the years of other issues.

I agree the neighborly thing to do is to cut their side when we cut ours.
    There isn't and should never have been a "their side ". You planted a hedge on your property and should have trimmed it so it stayed on your property. Each side of your hedge are your side!

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    There isn't and should never have been a "their side ". You planted a hedge on your property and should have trimmed it so it stayed on your property. Each side of your hedge are your side!

Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JaneP

The OP has said they planted the hedge only 1 foot from the boundary. Clearly this is the root of the problem since the OP should have known well the hedge would grow well into the neighbours plot. It's a but rich to plant something that will clearly go across the boundary and then not maintain it. If OP didn't want to maintain they should have planted well within their own boundary. Everyone knows hedges can grow very wide 6 or 8 feet. So planting only 1 foot from the boundary was cheeky in itself!

• Advertisement

JaneP wrote: »
    The OP has said they planted the hedge only 1 foot from the boundary. Clearly this is the root of the problem since the OP should have known well the hedge would grow well into the neighbours plot. It's a but rich to plant something that will clearly go across the boundary and then not maintain it. If OP didn't want to maintain they should have planted well within their own boundary. Everyone knows hedges can grow very wide 6 or 8 feet. So planting only 1 foot from the boundary was cheeky in itself!

To be fair, not many people plant hedges 8 feet inside their boundary, that is a huge amount of garden to give up and unless you have a large site, 16 feet would be ludicrous. Realistically, hedge rows and boundary trees are planted at the boundary, not 8 feet inside it. Either the trees predated the neighbour, or, the neighbour was aware at the time they were planted and didn’t object.

Some of the comments here are nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JaneP

You wouldn't plan 6 feet inside the boundary. A hedge 6 feet wide in total - you plan it 3 feet inside the boundary giving 3 feet to grow in either direction, giving up 6 feet if your garden. Why would you expect your neighbours to give up 3 feet of their garden just because you want a hedge. Makes no sense. If you want a hedge keep it on your own land. Simple.
    Dav010 wrote: »
    To be fair, not many people plant hedges 8 feet inside their boundary, that is a huge amount of garden to give up and unless you have a large site, 16 feet would be ludicrous. Realistically, hedge rows and boundary trees are planted at the boundary, not 8 feet inside it. Either the trees predated the neighbour, or, the neighbour was aware at the time they were planted and didn’t object.

Some of the comments here are nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

JaneP wrote: »

I also said that I planted it 1 ft inside the boundary after agreeing with my neighbour so “clearly” you didn’t read all the posts before judgements.

Also. I was not aware that the hedge would grow to 6ft wide, it being the first time I planted a hedge. Thought my old neighbours were bad but looks like there are plenty of others out there. Thankfully my new neighbours are decent people.

I also said that I planted it 1 ft inside the boundary after agreeing with my neighbour so “clearly” you didn’t read all the posts before judgements...
    After agreeing exactly what with the neighbour?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

I discussed planting a hedge with them
    Asked them if they wanted us to planted it at the wire fence
    They asked me to plant it a foot back on our side

We paid for and planted hedge that they were happy to have. 15 years on and many issues later everything is a conflict.

Any other questions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

I also said that I planted it 1 ft inside the boundary after agreeing with my neighbour so “clearly” you didn’t read all the posts before judgements...

To hold a biannual hoola hoop dance competition staged as a dance off at the nearest Dunne's stores car park, what do you think? :p
    You even quoted the relevant part :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Well if you originally agreed with the neighbour to put the hedge 1ft in your side.Fair enough.

But if the hedge has grown out more in the 15 years.
    I'd be cutting it back to the 1ft originally agreed(neighbour's side)

I wouldn't expect you to cut it though.Maybe take the branches to dispose of.

I discussed planting a hedge with them
    Asked them if they wanted us to planted it at the wire fence
    They asked me to plant it a foot back on our side

Appears to me you agreed to have a hedge in your garden!

Appears to me you agreed to have a hedge in your garden!

Considering it’s planted there, I would take that as a given.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I also said that I planted it 1 ft inside the boundary after agreeing with my neighbour so “clearly” you didn’t read all the posts before judgements.

Also. I was not aware that the hedge would grow to 6ft wide, it being the first time I planted a hedge. Thought my old neighbours were bad but looks like there are plenty of others out there. Thankfully my new neighbours are decent people.
    You were not aware of how wide hedges grew? Then maybe you should have researched more before planting one, one foot inside your boundary.

You keep going on and on about your neigbours not being decent people but that actually has nothing to do with the hedge. You created this problem. I don't see they've done anything wrong here.

When you talked to them about planting the hedge, did you not also discuss who would be responsible for maintaining it?

I don't like hedges, too much work. If my neighbour had came to me about planting a hedge I would only agree to it on the understanding that they made sure it did encroach on my garden. If they had erected a fence and your overgrown hedge was knocking it down, you'd have to fix it.

Advertisement