Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wait is killing me!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭bikeman1

A little over 3 months for me. And that was with a proactive seller (buying another place - tenants had moved out) and me being as quick as I could with everything. Any requests were sent straight back. Meetings agreed ASAP.

You will always hit a delay. In my case it was the management company who were going through their own internal problems and not replying back to queries, and then my solicitor going on holidays for 10 days (I have no problem with that). Basically it takes time. My parents were dying to tell friends and family, but I said no way until I have the keys in my hand.

The Chinese takeaway and glass of bubbly in an empty home never tasted better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

We went Sale agreed end of Jan and were told by the EA that the sellers wanted a quick sale. Got the keys on May 30th due to numerous delays!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yeah. On selling side
    Sale agreed and deposit week 1
    Engineer week 2
    Contracts week 2
    Contract queries week 3
    Queries answered start week 4

Week 5 just ended.

No bank valuer yet.

Purchase is new build and I'm not going to start pushing them till we get further on the sale side

Slowly slowly catchy monkey.
    Valuer been and gone.
    Nothing further from their solicitor.

Just recieved first contract draft on purchase.
    Now has to be posted to me for review.

These boys and girls operate in a different timescale.

I've told noone beyond immediate family and have to keep reminding all, including my wife, that we are nowhere yet.

Mid week 6 on sale. 3 on purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭realmoonunit

We are in the process of selling looking like 10 weeks, there was an issue with roads and services though that had to be ran by the bank (this caused a 2 week delay). We are also in the process of buying, hoping to reduce this timeline, my solicitor is on the ball though and chases regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Try buying from a receiver that's not stressful at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Mary Quaint Cellar

Sold my house and I took 3 months to close. Bought a house and closed it in 6 weeks. The timing was out by a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Looly8726

Bought recently, vacant property. sale agreed to closing was around 9 weeks.
    Bought a few years ago. Vacant property. Sale agreed to closing almost 6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭conor2469

Going through this as a buyer at the moment.

Went sale agreed and paid booking deposit 4 weeks. We are still waiting for the Estate Agent to send the sales advice note out, apparently they are trying to contact the seller to get their solicitors details..... The estate agent isn't being very proactive, apparently they have emailed them and are waiting for a reply....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Appreciate all the replies. Currently waiting on all documents from the vendors but told we'll have them within the week. Its moving, progress is progress.

Their solicitor off last 2 weeks.
    Ours off next 2 weeks.

Like a bad joke.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm a lot more patient than I thought I would be. No contracts issued yet but it hasn't been 3 weeks yet and meanwhile there's plenty of things to do. I think it's because always knew summer would be slower with legal/banks/valuers/insurers etc. annual leave that happy to anticipate it could be 3 months. Unless something crops up but it's FTB with no chains involved so hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Now, today, in final negotiations...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

We are hopefully signing contracts next week but our solicitor has told us they are aiming for a close date of mid August. I'm hoping holidays etc won't get in the way. Would love to be in the new house before school starts back.

I'm a lot more patient than I thought I would be. No contracts issued yet but it hasn't been 3 weeks yet and meanwhile there's plenty of things to do. I think it's because always knew summer would be slower with legal/banks/valuers/insurers etc. annual leave that happy to anticipate it could be 3 months. Unless something crops up but it's FTB with no chains involved so hopefully not.

We're 2 months on our sale at the weekend and our solicitor going away for 2 weeks. So 3 months not gonna happen.

Bought in 2 months last time.

Our purchasers went back to bank for better offer available, got a second engineer out and their solicitor had 2 weeks off.

Just gotta grin and bear it. Prefer a slow sale than no sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Any truth to the view I heard that solicitors draw it out so that they accumulate interest on your money sitting in their account??

seannash wrote: »
    Any truth to the view I heard that solicitors draw it out so that they accumulate interest on your money sitting in their account??

No
    Sure the large deposit only happens at signing, rarely issues after that.

Only deposit up till then is with EA

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So...agreed on price, signing contracts tomorrow.

No to the question about interest, client money goes into a separate account.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Large corporate depositors are being charged interest on deposits these days, they're not getting paid interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    took us 8 months with all the delays on the vendors side... try not to focus on the time, it will just drive you nuts.

3.5 months and was told that was fast...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Signing contracts tomorrow. The house is vacant and we have nothing to sell so hoping to be in within a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

None. Solicitors are just slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Then they also delay their own bill (and you paying it), which is probably a lot higher than that scrap money may make on interest...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭realmoonunit

We closed our own property (sale) in just over 8 weeks.

We have received contracts for new property today, waiting on loan pack from bank. we are now 2.5 weeks on that property. Hope we can close as quick on this one as we did on our sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

7 months and counting since sale agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Uglysoik1

Wow that's a long time - why is it taking that long if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

ampleforth wrote: »
    Then they also delay their own bill (and you paying it), which is probably a lot higher than that scrap money may make on interest...

Why do they delay their own bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Ouch, thats tough. Any reason why.

I've just signed contracts and paid the deposit after 6 weeks. Its looking like i'll have the keys in about 4 weeks.

Nothing tends to happen in August. Everyone takes holidays which slows the whole process down .

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MrPropertyGuru

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Uglysoik1

<SNIP>
    When exactly do you get your receipt after paying the booking deposit? I paid mine last week after agreeing on a price with EA. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 MrPropertyGuru

Uglysoik1 wrote: »
    When exactly do you get your receipt after paying the booking deposit? I paid mine last week after agreeing on a price with EA. Thanks!

You should always pay the booking deposit in cash and receive a receipt directly.

The reason is that if you change your mind about buying the house for good, bad or no reason, you are entitled to receive your deposit back.

Greetings

Andre

Advertisement