Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Is there one person who does not know a family member or friend who got compo claim"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i dont either so that makes 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I know of 1 person.

They didnt fall off a swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Another deluded ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Don't know of anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ehhhh, I've vague memory of a friend who nearly lost a thumb in work. May have been an insurance claim as opposed to comp though. So possibly me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I know a few people. All building site related. And they were injured, it's not like they were making it up.

I know a few who got settlements from car crashes too. It was when I worked with the wheelchair assoc. So you know they weren't faking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I know 2 people. One got hit by a car that mounted the footpath and caused serious injury and long hospitalization.

The other had an accident at work that resulted in a complete change to protocol and methods of working, including installation of a lift. Person suffered a number of broken vertebrae and significant ongoing pain.

Both genuine claims, both injured through no or minimal fault of there own both 100% honest.

No issues with either.

I know another that was involved in a car accident, a passenger in a car that was rear-ended and low speed. minor incident, found out years later that they have gotten a significant payout and had claimed ongoing pain that restricted their lives. Which was a barefaced lie. They had a pain in there shoulder for a day or too that they told everyone in the pub about but after 3 days they were fine. Met the guy regularly for years after, he played football, enjoyed holidays, bunjee jumps and parachute jumps.

Big issue with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I know one. Was involved in a head on collision and was left with a metal frame keeping his spine together. Years later he is still in pain.
    Some claims are ****e, but others are genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Hoboo

6 Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I have one friend who was knifed in school and got some compo but that’s all. I suppose that’s fair enough - a few quid for getting stabbed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

They're going for the playing it down/sure we all do it route.

These guys are going to be cleaned in a GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well if you include people's who cars may have being damaged we all probably know somebody.
    I know of people who got compo claims locally(I wouldn't call them friends tough because we're not close). Some were serious incidents and they deserved them and others weren't.
    I have a relative who's always treating to sue people but I have no idea has she actually done it.Nobody can really cope with her. She's always reporting people to social welfare who she suspects are putting in fraudulent claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Lot of hysteria at the moment surrounding this issue, narative being presented is that all claims are fraudulent

• Registered Users Posts: 13,146 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Don’t know anyone who got compo but my wife is claiming. Genuinely though and all on camera . Against a state body

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Add my wigger nephew to the list.

Blew it on champagne and auld ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

I suspect that my experience is similar to most: I know people who sued and got compo and I also know people who probably could have, but didn't.

I know of someone who got massive compo for an accident which was entirely his own fault (alcohol was heavily involved), but given that he ended up in a wheelchair which ruined many aspects of his life, liability was accepted and the insurers settled with him out of court.

I suspect that my experience is similar to most: I know people who sued and got compo and I also know people who probably could have, but didn't.

I know of someone who got massive compo for an accident which was entirely his own fault (alcohol was heavily involved), but given that he ended up in a wheelchair which ruined many aspects of his life, liability was accepted and the insurers settled with him out of court.

Have a claim with the PIAP at the moment, was someone else's fault entirely and the pain is just not going away, out thousands sofar and never without pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Have a claim with the PIAP at the moment, was someone else's fault entirely and the pain is just not going away, out thousands sofar and never without pain

Have you a decent solicitor/barrister? If not, get one!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

https://www.madigans.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I have a large extended family. No compo.

It doesn’t matter anyway. If compensation is legit that’s fine. This wasn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,146 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

cjmc wrote: »
    Don’t know anyone who got compo but my wife is claiming. Genuinely though and all on camera . Against a state body

Actually I remember 2 acquaintances who claimed. Smallish amounts and won . Was years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Lot of hysteria at the moment surrounding this issue, narative being presented is that all claims are fraudulent

No. Just that particular one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

My sister was involved in a head on collision with a German tourist on the wrong side of the road a couple of weeks before her wedding in 1999.
    She had to postpone her honeymoon and her movement was severely curtailed on the day itself.

From memory she got 34,000 including replacement for her wrote off two year old Ford Fiesta.

If it had happened today, she'd be living it up on some tropical island.

Well I have employed a solicitor, time will tell how good they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I know of 3.
    1 genuine and recent broken leg in 3 places not sure how his recovery is going. He was knocked down.

2 fake claims
    1 of the 2 was caught frauding and he was still payed out 16k due to the cost of taking him to court being higher.

The other fake payed out over 60k before court it was insurance final offer just outside court.
    He got a new car and done up his house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

don't know any body . Could have claimed myself years ago . Got my hand caught in a faulty machine . They paid my wages when i was out so every body was happy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My son got compo after a RTA left him with an ABI. 250k. Very little in the scheme of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A relative of mine sued a Sunday Newspaper and won.
    The paper published a picture that identified him and an article saying he was riding brassers in a lane near a hospital.

His solicitor rocked into court with letters from doctors and consultants saying he was in hospital at the time.

Advertisement