Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Subbing (peaks and troughs?)

• 18-04-2019 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I'm currently in the middle of the Hibernia Primary PME and have been lucky enough to get enough subbing so far this year to get by financially.

At the moment I'm on TP so I was just wondering, should I expect to get less work once I finish up in mid-late May? I was thinking that perhaps things might be lean enough when it comes to picking up subbing work in the last month or two of the school year (less sick cover, teachers under pressure to get curriculum covered so less courses on etc.)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Hi all,

I'm currently in the middle of the Hibernia Primary PME and have been lucky enough to get enough subbing so far this year to get by financially.

At the moment I'm on TP so I was just wondering, should I expect to get less work once I finish up in mid-late May? I was thinking that perhaps things might be lean enough when it comes to picking up subbing work in the last month or two of the school year (less sick cover, teachers under pressure to get curriculum covered so less courses on etc.)

Thanks

There should still be a few days to be had. Teachers can still get sick and often principals find themselves with a few admin days left that they want to use up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I got a solid 3 weeks subbing in a school only half an hour away when I finished the PME in the month of May. You’d be surprised at what turns up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Teachers will always get sick . As to courses/ completing the curriculum - most courses don’t have sub cover , teachers do plan around courses / Active School week/ standardized tests/ school tours etc. etc. so if they need to do a course , they will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Where's the best place to look for or register for subbing work please?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Wrong time of year but subteacher.ie is a register where P/DP can get contact details. I've had a few calls from it but I marked myself as unavailable mostly. Drop your CV in to the local schools and say you're available and willing to sub at short notice. If it's an ETB school you'll need TC registration to be paid though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Seesee wrote: »
    Where's the best place to look for or register for subbing work please?
    I see you are (or were) down to mark German. If your Irish is good (or even okay), Gaelcholáistí will probably bite your hand off to have you. Very hard to get subs with Irish.

Advertisement