Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

make acoustic drums quieter

• 10-01-2019 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to make acoustic drums quieter that does not affect playing or response. So you do not learn wrong or bad habits. Mesh? Hot rods? etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

You can use mesh heads but this will kill them completely. You can kill them significantly by taping toilet paper to the heads and will it won't silence them it will kill a lot of the volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Towels are usually good.

Where do you practice? A shed or indoors in your house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Towels are usually good.

Where do you practice? A shed or indoors in your house?
    indoors
    in a house.

It seems to be the reasonant side of the snare i want to quieten mostly. I do not know the proper term but if i hold my hand over the wires the sound is more full not cracking and vibrating. I know it should be but it is very loud. Is there any safe way to stop the wires vibrating and be able toremove it

FR85 wrote: »
    You can use mesh heads but this will kill them completely. You can kill them significantly by taping toilet paper to the heads and will it won't silence them it will kill a lot of the volume.
    all over the heads? masking tape ok?
    You can use mesh heads but this will kill them completely
    you mean no sound?

anyone use these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plDxBk2zqfE or similar

all over the heads? masking tape ok?

you mean no sound?

anyone use these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plDxBk2zqfE or similar

A tiny fold of jacks paper placed to the edge of the skin and then taped down. It won't kill them but it will dampen and take away any overtones.

Using mesh heads will equal muted drums, zero noise.....

I've never used any killing pads, I live out in the land that time forgot and the nearest neighbor is about a kilometer away!! :)

• Advertisement

indoors
    in a house.

It seems to be the reasonant side of the snare i want to quieten mostly. I do not know the proper term but if i hold my hand over the wires the sound is more full not cracking and vibrating. I know it should be but it is very loud. Is there any safe way to stop the wires vibrating and be able toremove it

You are getting snare buzz by the sounds of it. This will happen to a degree, make sure the snare strands are dead center with the throw off in the on position, if there is an overlap over the shell then you might end up with a lot of buzz.

If you want to completely eliminate buzz and just have a slap sound then about 3-4" in from the hoops place a skinny strip of gaffa tape across the wires and this will assist there.
    If you want to kill the resonance of the bottom head you can either tune it down or if you are happy with where is then poke some (not loads) of cotton wool balls in through the air vent on the side of the shell, these will sit on the head on the inside and not rattle. It's actually a really cool way of "gating" ringy toms too......top tip right there!!

Everyone, thanks for the help

Advertisement