Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haney Family, Country Tipperary, 1840's.

• 17-11-2018 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I am trying to learn the identity of the parents of an Irish Born Confederate Soldier. According to his tombstone in Augusta Georgia, Thomas Joseph Haney was born in 1841 in County Tipperary Ireland. Would there be any Baptism Records that would be easily searchable? What other records might there be? I would love to find out information about this man. I have never found him listed with any parents in any census in the US and he died shortly after the war ended so I don't have much to go on. There were actually quite a few Irishmen in his same Regiment but this is the only who I have been able to narrow down a County of birth for.

Thanks for any help.

P.S.

I posted this query serveral years ago on rootsweb.com and got information regarding a John Haney of the Parish of Lisbunny, Townland Kilconane, Nenagh. He was the tenant of Thomas Hackett, Esq. This was in 1850...also a John Haney who "has a house and sharing 3 acres 1 rood and 25 perches with James Gleeson" not sure if these are the same man or not and also can't tie either to Thomas Joseph Haney.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

www.Rootsireland.ie for the 2 Tipperary "branches" show no Thomas Haneys +/-5 years of 1841. It searches a wide variety of surname spellings but excluded Heaney.

I tried that and found 2 different Thomas Heagnys born in Lorrha, one in 1840 (Patrick Heagny & Anne Connell) and 1842(John Heagny & Bridget Costello). No addresses.

Your problem here is that you don't have much to go on and Tipperary is one of the biggest counties in Ireland.

Did Thomas have any children to help find other names in his family? If so, have you DNA tested his descendants?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭mrskinner

Perhaps Haney is derived from the surname Harney which is widespread in Tipperary?
    You might use Griffith's Valuation and enter the name and county to see what is revealed.

The name is not in MacLysaght's "The Surnames of Ireland".

Johngrenham.com has variants but the list on Rootsireland is more extensive.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Ohoopee

Thanks for the replies,

He died in 1865, just a few months after the civil war ended on October 16, 1865, unmarried and with no children..there was also a John Haney living in Augusta as well of an unknown relation. I have found nothing to link them together. I live in Ireland now, so I would love to be able to find where some of these Irishmen came from. I am writing a book about their regiment. To be fair, this may not be the same Thomas J. Haney I am looking for but MOST of the Irishmen in the Regiment worked at one fo the Factories in Augusta Georgia so this one fites. Thomas J. Haney was transferred to the Confederate Navy.

As little as I have on Thomas Joseph Haney, I have even less of the others...couldn't even name a county for the other men.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭mrskinner

Go to www.libertyellisfoundation.org and enter the name.

• Advertisement

I'm sure you're aware of Damien Shiels' work?

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'm sure you're aware of Damien Shiels' work?
    Yes and he and I are members of the same historical forum. I tried Contacting him through his website but got no response. I then tried to contact him via PM on the forem he and I are both members of and again didn't recieve a response. I figured he either can't, or doesn't want to, help.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Here is a possibility - I know that Heney can be pronounced Haney:
    Name: Thomas Joseph Heney
    Birth Date: 1838
    Baptism Date: 24 Dec 1838
    Baptism Place: Cashel, Tipperary, Ireland
    Diocese: Cashel and Emly
    Father: John Heney
    Mother: Margaret Sally Donnell
    Sponsors: Nicholas? Shea and Margaret Landers
    https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632679#page/111/mode/1up

KildareFan wrote: »
    Here is a possibility - I know that Heney can be pronounced Haney:
    Name: Thomas Joseph Heney
    Birth Date: 1838
    Baptism Date: 24 Dec 1838
    Baptism Place: Cashel, Tipperary, Ireland
    Diocese: Cashel and Emly
    Father: John Heney
    Mother: Margaret Sally Donnell
    Sponsors: Nicholas? Shea and Margaret Landers
    https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632679#page/111/mode/1up

This is a very strong possiblity, Thank you! The only thing that doesn't really match is his tombstone in Augusta Georgia states he was born in 1841.

Really, do not get too hung up on the exact year. People did not know their exact ages then, and if there was no close family to put up the headstone, they may have just averaged.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement