Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best family tree builder

• 12-04-2016 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi there

In last few years have collected a lot of info and have currently started hand writing a family tree. I see online there are many apps available to create a family tree. Which ones do you all recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mrkdips

Hey guys.
    Discovered the sticky on Irish genealogy so have some info now. Would appreciate a personal insight into the ones used and pros and cons ? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The opening paragraphs of Pinky’s post here sum it up.

In addition to those comments, the choice really depends on what you want to use a program for – is it for display online, for storage, for hints, or for sharing within open or closed groups? What else do you want by way of access to records, newspapers, what type and where? Some companies are better for the US, some are better for the UK, it depends on your own specific requirements.

Most companies have free versions that will allow basic data input but are capped at a certain level so they might not be sufficient for your needs. You then get to the paying/subscription stage, with tiered payment levels for varying levels of access.

Do not be taken in by the claims about ‘billions of records’ as most of the geno programs have access to then, many for free. Learn to exploit the system (!!) for example a pay-site might have a better search facility but want a fee to see a record. Use their free search to gather data and then go to a free look-up on another site.

Genopro is meant to be great, some here use it, not I (no particular reason, I started with FTM years ago).

Ancestry is possibly the best all-round of the paying programmes and it claims 2 million users. They own AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Family Tree Maker, Fold3 and Newspapers.com.

Findmypast (previously DC Thomson Family History, still owned by them via Brightsolid, a datastorage facility leaning towards Cloud computing.) Its family of online brands includes Genes Reunited, The British Newspaper Archive and My Heritage. They also work with the Imperial War Museum. Their subsidiary GenesReunited is heavily focussed on UK records for BMD & census data, military, etc. Primarily it is a publishing company, so the geno subsidiary could be spun off /sold. They have a ‘branch’ in Ireland. Their subsidiary Mocavo was recently closed down and users were given a free 2 week trial on FMP

MyHeritage - I’ve been granted access to a couple of trees on My Heritage and it works well. Based in Israel the company is heavily backed by venture capital investors who will want a return at some stage. They also own FamilyTreeBuilder, World Vital Records and Geni.com.

Family Historian is a British company, small, privately owned, founded 1995. Offering discounts to FTM customers. Has web hints that are linked to matches in a MyHeritage web page. Some of the matches can be viewed and confirmed for free, while others require a MyHeritage data subscription (Family Historian users obtain 33% discount on MyHeritage subscriptions).

Remember there is a big caveat on all database size claims and from all companies with a ‘links/hints’ facility, where a person on your tree can match with another, same name/age on a different tree – inevitably the links are incorrect BUT can be useful on a FEW occasions, if only to exclude a ‘suspect’ relative.

Let us know which route you take!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 valeriekerr

mrkdips wrote: »
    Hi there

In last few years have collected a lot of info and have currently started hand writing a family tree. I see online there are many apps available to create a family tree. Which ones do you all recommend?

Online: WikiTree (completely free, one worldwide tree)
    Offline: PAF 5 (Personal Ancestral File)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm using MyHeritage tree builder

Its already come up with positive matches to other trees that have common people in theirs

Its offline and allows you to create ancestor and descendant charts for anyone in the tree. I've created a few already and sent to relatives and they love them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

WikiTree was recommended to me because its Free mainly, but when I tried it out I found it far too complicated (for me anyway). I have trees on FindMyPast but I much prefer the system on Ancestry mainly because all my trees are already there and I've have contact with several distant cousins all over the world as well as finding and meeting a couple here as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 brownangel

I purchased RootsMagic and found it disappointing. To my horror, it does not generate a family tree, which I thought was the purpose of family tree software!!!!! It's good for organising the records and data entry is easy, but very poor at output. It will export GEDCOM files but I don't know how well they work as input to a tree drawing package. I would be interested to hear what are good options for software that draws a good family tree diagram.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The trouble is often printing - most people don't have bigger than an A4 printer and you really need larger to produce something decent. I use Genopro and it produces simple black and white line diagrams. Colour and pictures can be added but I tend not to.

If you search in our forum, we've discussed a few options before.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Can anyone recommend a family tree builder that can be used offline only? I'm currently using MyHeritage but have so far avoided entering the details of anyone living, as its not my information to share (even though I have my tree private and I know it hides information on living people). Would like to have a complete tree but only available to myself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Please use the search function to review other threads on this topic. Lots of software doesn't have to connect to the internet.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brownangel

I'm new to RootsMagic and I need help in getting the feel of it, e.g. fixing relationships. Can someone tell me where I can find a good user guide on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement