Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    @ Fifi and Shortiechik we're on page 2 of FIT magazine

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    We're famous:D
    PLEASE tell me it was after I ditched the bright orange poncho I had on whilst waiting to start......

npresto wrote: »
    You can buy your video here: http://mysports.tv/default.htm but you can play/download a video bought by someone else.

I just searched till I found one bought by someone else per instructions below.
    • Go to the results section of the DCM Website and search for your results. http://dublinmarathon.ie/results.php
    • Note your FINISH TIME (not chip time)
    • Then do a search again for ALL runners i.e. don't enter any bib number
    • Sort the results by FINISH TIME and go to the page where your result is.
    • Now start clicking the names of other finishers above and below you to find someone who has paid for their video and then you can watch/download the finish video.
    • When you find a video, you have to select one of the finish cameras. The best camera is "Finish - Merrion Square North"

The problem is that the full list of finishers is a mix of all 3 waves so a runner might have the same finish time as you but actually finished 10 mins before or after you because they started in a wave before or after your wave.
    When you play one of the videos the trick is to look at the correct clock for your wave to determine if you finished around the same time as other finisher in the video.

I was lucky to find one video but I had to click quite a few to find it. :cool:

Thanks a mill for this tip - managed to see myself crossing the line:D I completely forgot the advice here about finishing and just have my head down to switch off Garmin so don't think be buying but nice to see

From the vid of you finishing you def gave it your all to get over the line - fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

dechol wrote: »
    Who were the five hour pacers ? Are they from boards too ?

Yep, according the the marathon thread they were:

Clareman07
    Belcarra
    Hot to trot

But the pacers on here can confirm if they ended up doing it on the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

FiiFii wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    We're famous:D
    PLEASE tell me it was after I ditched the bright orange poncho I had on whilst waiting to start......

Not a poncho in sight

Not a poncho in sight

Oh thank god.....
    Right, better pick that paper up tonight then so my moment of fame can be saved along with name in paper from Tuesdays finishers list - would framing them on my living room wall be to much perhaps..............;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

blockic wrote: »

Clareman07
    Belcarra
    Hot to trot

A big thank you from me to each, really great job done by all and I think there was one more? Great encouragement and advice on the course, left them at Belfield flyover and never got to officially say thanks at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

@ Fifi and Shortiechik we're on page 2 of FIT magazine

Have said magazine in my hand.... Are you not going to point yourselves out, or leave us all in suspense ?:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

LarMan wrote: »
    One thing I regret is not trying to meet up with the others from boards who were trying to run under 4 hours, even though I was probably running right next to some of you, for the most part I ran the race alone, I got to talk to one other guy for a few minutes and I think it would have helped to have been running with those who had the same goal, I still don't think I would have made sub 4 but I think I would have gotten closer to it if I had had some 'Friends' to run with
    ncmc wrote: »
    I'm the same LarMan, I was running right beside loads of people from this thread and didn't get to meet any of them. Stupidly, I assumed i'd just 'run into them' not literally of course :D but I think in future, i'd try and have a concrete plan in place to meet people.

Likewise - I'd my username on my number but nobody would have had a chance to see it really, except by accident before the start (which limited it to the queue for the loo!). Killian & NCMC are the only two I'd have had a chance of recognising unaided but there are probably loads of others whose company I'd have appreciated. Thankfully the crowd kept me company the whole way.

blockic wrote: »

Clareman07
    Belcarra
    Hot to trot

Think Digijem was there too - we spoke briefly at the Expo.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Thanks, 5 1/2 stone to date. kind of happy where I am now, maybe a half more to go, but not really 'trying', if it happens it happens. :)
    That's incredible.well done.

• Advertisement

dechol wrote: »
    That's incredible.well done.

+1. Phenomenal transformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

lrak wrote: »
    Have said magazine in my hand.... Are you not going to point yourselves out, or leave us all in suspense ?:-)

Don't worry, if they wont, I will! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Think Digijem was there too - we spoke briefly at the Expo.

She was, her debut into pacing saw her reach the line in 4:59:59, perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Was gonna go for a gentle run tonight but settled for a glass of wine instead.

The lack of guilt is fantastic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

FiiFii wrote: »
    Oh thank god.....
    Right, better pick that paper up tonight then so my moment of fame can be saved along with name in paper from Tuesdays finishers list - would framing them on my living room wall be to much perhaps..............;)

but how did they miss me - I was there too, clearly only including good looking runners! ye look good.

I can access the soft copy and send you a copy, I can post here if I figure how to reduce size of pic
    That kinda worked! shortie out front right yellow top black sleeve (nose piercing!), Fifi behind in pink top with DeeDee to the left yellow top

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭breffni blue

Younganne wrote: »
    Thank you to each and everyone of you too, you made it very easy for me!!! and to all my sidekicks;) thank you too!!

Well done on monday you were cruising when you passed me around 22/23 mile, you looked like you could've that at pace all day.....(4hr pacer here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done on monday you were cruising when you passed me around 22/23 mile, you looked like you could've that at pace all day.....(4hr pacer here)
    Oh thanks a mill. Stayed with you guys till ucd and finished in 3:57:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭breffni blue

docrock wrote: »
    Its nice to know that I was running in elite company for a while:D:DJesus it wasnt knocking a stirr out of them, fair play to them youd know they were serious runners in fairness.

That's some compliment but were only mere mortals like the other 12,500 runners, in 57 marathons pacing 4hrs in Dublin has probably been my highlight, to anyone who tried to break 4hrs and failed don't worry about it there's always next year, next year you's will have more mileage and experience behind ya's.......btw.....i did my first marathon (dublin 2008) in 4.23 and it took me 20 attempts to break 4hrs..........keep up the trainingfolks:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

How did you manage to find videos at the other stages?

Trial and error or did you have a method?

Trial and error, looked for people with similar 10k times / 13.1 times etc.

I think between 3 people I got in all videos!

Walkedit wrote: »
    but how did they miss me - I was there too, clearly only including good looking runners! ye look good.

I can access the soft copy and send you a copy, I can post here if I figure how to reduce size of pic
    That kinda worked! shortie out front right yellow top black sleeve (nose piercing!), Fifi behind in pink top with DeeDee to the left yellow top

Thanks for this - still waiting on my copy to arrive! Well at least I look cheery in it, waving to the camera and all (compared to the head down approach at the finish...)
    Can't believe they missed you though...... Go with the the photographer being overawed at your sporty athleticism that he felt he had to shift the camera in our direction...;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I got my video so anyone who didnt but were near the 4.15 pacers for the first 20 miles is welcome to my video.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Trial and error, looked for people with similar 10k times / 13.1 times etc.

I think between 3 people I got in all videos!

I had another bash at it and managed to get all my videos.

I've downloaded them, edited them all together with captions before each section of the race and will upload it to YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Jeez why didn't anyone tell us these things before we selected our target times? There's one for the "what would you like to have known list" - where are the good-looking pacers!:p:o

:D:D

I'm heading to New York, availing of free wifi on the aircoach and thought I'd pop on here for some inspiration for the marathon... I'm very glad I did:)

Although I must point out that you were all obviously delusional from glycogen depletion;)

Congratulations again to you all, I hope you're well on the road to recovery and planning your next race

My DCM race report ( and although I didn't mention it in there, I thought you were all very cute with super leg definition:))
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056509699&page=41

Marthastew wrote: »

I'm heading to New York, availing of free wifi on the aircoach and thought I'd pop on here for some inspiration for the marathon... I'm very glad I did:)

Good luck with NY!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I had another bash at it and managed to get all my videos.

I've downloaded them, edited them all together with captions before each section of the race and will upload it to YouTube.

How did you download it? I can't figure it out 💾

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

How did you download it? I can't figure it out 💾

When the video is playing on the web there is a download button on the right hand side of the video screen.

When you click this you are presented with a full list of videos to download; one for each camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Marthastew wrote: »

Although I must point out that you were all obviously delusional from glycogen depletion;)

Congratulations again to you all, I hope you're well on the road to recovery and planning your next race

My DCM race report ( and although I didn't mention it in there, I thought you were all very cute with super leg definition:))
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056509699&page=41
    Hope you kick ass in NY Marthastew :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Have really enjoyed reading everyone's race reports this week, its so good to share in everyone's sense of achievement, its been a pleasure to share this experience with you all...even if it has been virtually :)

Anyone else tried a wee run today? I thought I'd try a very easy 2 miles this morning just to see where I'm at. Well now I know...no where near ready to run just yet! My quads screamed at me after a few minutes so I resorted to walk-light jog-walk-light jog for the 2 miles. Everything else felt fine but just the outer quad muscles which had felt like they were on fire by mile 22 on Monday - think its gonna take another while for them to forgive me for what I put them through :eek: So I've gone from a fit marathoner to a shuffling mess in 4 days :rolleyes:

Many thanks by the way for the instructions for seeing yourself on video - found meself at 13.1 and 20 miles, great tip, cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

http://mysports.tv/default2.asp?r=7900&e=DM12M&n=Martin+Donnelly&ct_s1=09:13:22&nt_f=04:19:25&ct_f=13:10:57&ct_s2=10:10:30&ct_s3=11:12:44&ct_s4=12:15:04&k=5mtotaal&ks=109170481&b=720p&l=EN

Career move, you are crossing the finish line in this video, with LizzyC right beside you, i'm a few yards back in the blue top!!!
    Thanks lads for the tip for finding yourself and thanks to the guy who bought his video and for running most of the way near me!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Walkedit wrote: »
    Walkedit thanks a million for sticking this up! I only saw the message this afternoon, rang my local shops & they've all sent back yesterday's papers already! :(
    It's mostly a pic of FiiFii & DeeDee who had the smarts to wave at the cameras! :cool: Not like me, huffing & puffing along with my hands hidden inside the mitts! :o Next time I'll wave & strike a pose for EVERY camera I see! :D
    @ Shortiechik I was delighted to see your report, when there was no sign of it I was worried that something had happened to you after I passed. You didn't look in any trouble when I saw you. You were in your own nice groove. Good running, I'm glad you had a good one.
    Cheers DeeDee! Took me forever to read through all the other reports and then the longest time to actually write my own! Slow & steady in the running, & the writing - no surprise that I'm very often last for stuff! :P

Advertisement