Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

food processor recipes

• 30-01-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Ok, so I gave into the Jamie Oliver hype and bought a food processor today. My OH thinks it is a waste of money as there is only the two of us.

Any suggestions of what i can use it for to convince the OH it was a good buy??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 arsenal

Hummus!

If you're anyway into Indian food it's very handy for making garlic and ginger paste.

Chopping onions, carrots and celery for a bolognese sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Great for pastry!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Something from the Cooking Club might be of use to you. For example, Thai beanburgers or Falfel burgers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭phormium

I have a very good chocolate cake recipe for processor if you are into baking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

One question is that you need to answer yourself is - Why did you buy it ?
    It depends what sort of cooking and baking you do, how you will use it.

Also, what features did you buy it for. Different ones have a different range
    of attachments.

I use mine for all sorts of things that I can do my hand, but its just quicker
    to do with hre processor like

- Making pastry
    - Rubbing in butter in scone recipes
    - All mixing during baking
    - Kneading dough

Also liquidizing soups and sauces, mincing meat, whipping cream, or egg whites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭timmythesheep

phormium wrote: »
    I have a very good chocolate cake recipe for processor if you are into baking?

If you have it handy that would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Pate, soups and sauces are my most common food processor uses!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I got one for Christmas, and these are its main uses so far:

Slicing onions for French Onion Soup, or any recipe that needs a lot of onions
    Grating cheese (especially Parmesan)
    Slicing cucumber finely
    Mashing bananas and making banana bread
    Grating carrots finely for carrot cake (and mixing the cake)
    Chopping meat for paté (and soon for sausages)
    Making breadcrumbs from stale bread
    Making crumble topping

Then there's the liquidizer attachment for pureeing tomatoes, making soup, and whizzing up a curry base sauce

It's becoming indispensable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭phormium

choc cake or can be used for buns

180g soft brown sugar (caster will do if thats all you have)
    180g butter - very soft
    165g self raising flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    15g cocoa
    50g chocolate melted (70% cocoa solid preferably, I use Lidl 74%)
    3 eggs

Put all above into processor, make sure butter is very soft and chocolate is still lukewarm, whisk it up and divide between 2 8inch round sandwich tins or one high one is that is all you have. Could also bake it as one layer like brownies or as buns.

Bake in preheated oven 170 fan or 180 ordinary.

Hard to say how long it takes, 20 mins or so for single layers but be careful opening door too often as this cake can fall if drop in temperature. Check with cocktail stick and remove as soon as done, becomes dry if overcooked.

Filling & Icing

100g butter very soft (would deffo use butter for icing, marg could be substituted for cake at a push but not icing)
    100g icing sugar
    100g melted choc, same as above

All into processor, whizz it up, spread over cake as soon as made, sets on cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

arsenal wrote: »
    Hummus!

+1

Use it for Hummus nearly every week :D

Also great for pesto...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Home-made falafel!

Yum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

here is another chocolate cake to make in a food processor and it is beautiful

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7663/blitzandbake-beetroot-and-chocolate-cake

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

I'm saving up for a food processor, but I will also need to organise an area where I can leave it set up and ready to use. I think this is key to really using the processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 arsenal

Unkel... out of curiosity, what's your hummus recipe...?

I have mine good but not amazing, I'm just not getting something right!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

nesbitt wrote: »
    I'm saving up for a food processor, but I will also need to organise an area where I can leave it set up and ready to use. I think this is key to really using the processor.

I found this as well. When the food processor was sitting on the counter I used to use it a couple of times a week for various soups, sauces and patties of all kinds. Later it was moved up onto a shelf and I almost stopped using it. Strange, but true.

Of course, it may have made its way onto the shelf because it wasn't being used as much...

arsenal wrote: »
    Unkel... out of curiosity, what's your hummus recipe...?

I have mine good but not amazing, I'm just not getting something right!

Well I put in whatever I feel like :D

But a basic recipe to start off with is:

First make your own tahini (sesame paste), it keeps in the fridge for several months. Mix one large cup of sesame seeds (very cheap in any asian shop) with a quarter to a third cup of olive oil and make a paste in your food processor)

Then for the hummus - put the following into your food processor:

1.5 tablespoons tahini
    1 can of chickpeas (keep the liquid separate for the moment)
    juice of one small lemon
    2-4 cloves of raw garlic (depends on your taste)
    pinch of salt
    2 tablespoons of olive oil

start mixing it in the food processor and add some of the liquid of the chick pea can to make it to the consistency you want

That's the basic recipe. Fresh coriander (stalks and leaves) works great in it as does adding a fresh chili pepper or two (without seeds or stalks)

Instead of the raw garlic, I've made it with roast garlic (a whole bulb) and roast red peppers (capsicum). Glorious! :D

Edit: forgot to add I had toasted pitta bread with home made falafel patties and home made hummus for my breakfast today. Chick peas are great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Roasted red pepper hummus is devine!

I love roasted red peppers and I love hummous but I've never before considered making the two together. Consider it considered now!

Making your own tahini is hard-core. Is it much stronger than shop-bought or why do you only put 1.5 tbsp in?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

I love roasted red peppers and I love hummous but I've never before considered making the two together. Consider it considered now!

Making your own tahini is hard-core. Is it much stronger than shop-bought or why do you only put 1.5 tbsp in?

You won't regret it, can't remember the last time i've made plain hummus now!

Never thought of making my own tahini, nice one unkel, in relation to 'only' putting in that much, i would think that's fairly normal, i don't use too much tahini when i'm making hummus.

Making your own tahini is hard-core.

Nearly as easy as boiling an egg :)

Roast the sesame seeds in an oven tray at 180c (fan oven) and shake them every minute or so for about 10 minutes (till golden brown)

Than let them cool down and throw them into a food processor with the olive oil and voila 5 minutes later you have your own tahini :D

BTW - I was gonna buy tahini, but didn't know where to get it (had not seen it in any of my local Asian shops) and didn't really want to go out either. So I did a little research and found how easy it is to make yourself...

• Advertisement

It does sound very easy... but it's even easier to buy :D

Advertisement