Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the dentist accross the border.

• 15-12-2009 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody on the Louth forum has experience of visiting a dentist accross the border. Just looking to compare prices with the south and to maybe get a recommendation of a particular dentist. Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

I have used Roisin McLarnon in Crossmaglen (048 30861100) and would highly recommend her. I think it was roughly half the price of using a dentist in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

recently went to south down dental clinic in newry to get an extraction under sedation .Was originaly booked into a place in kildare and the price i was given was between €550 and €600 :eek: fcuk that ! newry did it for € 250 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

My husband was referred to South Down by his local Drogheda Dentist for a compacted wisdom tooth extraction, they were very good, cost around stg£280 as far as I remember.

South Down are not an normal clinic, you need to be seen by another Dental practice first, as far as I know they do minor surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Nodster

Haven't used them personally but was recommended a Dental Practice in Newry called Farrell Staunton ph 048 3026 2322

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭gipi

I've been to Cloughoge Dental Practice, Forkhill Rd, Newry (left at the Newry roundabout so you don't even have to get into the city itself), no complaints and a good price too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭sudzs

Nodster wrote: »
    Haven't used them personally but was recommended a Dental Practice in Newry called Farrell Staunton ph 048 3026 2322

I have! Couldn't fault them.

I had a pretty awkward filling done with the help of nitrous oxide and it went very very well! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Ballybot dental clinic (just round the corner from the Buttercrane centre).

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Many thanks for all the replies. I priced a dentist in Navan today and here are the prices:

Check up with x-rays: €45
    Clean teeth: €70
    Filling: €95

I tried ringing the dentists accross the boder but they are shut. Will post back again with comparitive prices when they are open.

Just booked an appointment with Farrell Staunton in Newry

Check up - £25

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Nodster

Just my luck - got three fillings off one of the local dentists in Ballybriggan during the summer, this morning one decided it was fed up with me and broke off, phoned the same dentist for an appointment and was quoted between €80 and €100 :mad:

• Advertisement

Check up with x-ray
    Filling (incl. removal of old one)
    Teeth clean

Total: £127

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Verbatim25

I broke 1 of my front incisor teeth in a game of Rugby and I rang my local dentist in Dundalk...The receptionist said it wasnt covered by medical card and that I would have to pay...I said thats fine I'll try a dentist across the border then she told me It was covered ny medical card so I asked for an appointment, as soon as I got in the room with the dentist she said it wasnt covered by medical card and I was told I had 2 options get a filling at 85 euro or get a crown at 450 euro...I told her I had a third option go across the border and price it ;-)
    will let you know what price I am quoted

I got a price at cloghouge dental practice
    £300 sterling for a Crown plus another £40 for an xray...She gave me a price 368 euro if I was to pay cash or with a laser card...20 euro more than the current exchange rate....if i had a credit card I would get the current exchange rate and it would be cheaper but alas I dont...it works out at 430 euro 20 euro cheaper than the dentist in Dundalk so not much of a saving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭gipi

Bit confused - you were quoted 368 euro by Cloghouge, am I correct? The exchange rate for £340 is over 400 euro (on xe.com today), and you were quoted 450 euro locally, so isn't that a bigger saving than 20 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 teatoast

This is a really interesting idea. I've been avoiding the dentist for a while because I know the next time I go I'm going to come out with a huge bill so if across the border can give significant savings I'll know where to make my next appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I might start looking for a dentist in the north as well!

I remember a while back reading something saying how the quality of fillings etc. used by northern dentists were not as good as those used in the south but this did smack at the time of anti-ni dentists by their southern counterpart.

BTW - What is the Nitric Oxide does this negate the need for an injection?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

I went to O'Farrell-Staunton, Newry twice now...
    No problems with them I have to say, but don't think I'll be going back unless I have major work to be done.
    2 regular fillings + consultation was €160.
    I'm pretty sure the same work done in Town Dental in Drogheda will be around that price?!
    By the time you drive up, money on Diesel, etc...

One thing that annoyed me a bit was the "10 minute consultation" fee £25
    she basically looked into my gob for 10 seonds...
    I was there before around 7 months previous and queried this charge and they said, "the charge has to be applied, if you haven't been at the dentist within 6 months..." BS!

gipi wrote: »
    Bit confused - you were quoted 368 euro by Cloghouge, am I correct? The exchange rate for £340 is over 400 euro (on xe.com today), and you were quoted 450 euro locally, so isn't that a bigger saving than 20 euro?

In total 340 sterling which works out at 408 euro so yes its more than 20 euro saving, over 40...I thought I would make more of a saving by going north but exchange rates arent great at the moment...If only I broke the tooth in 2009 when you could get a £ for Euro :D

kormak wrote: »
    I went to O'Farrell-Staunton, Newry twice now...
    No problems with them I have to say, but don't think I'll be going back unless I have major work to be done.
    2 regular fillings + consultation was €160.
    I'm pretty sure the same work done in Town Dental in Drogheda will be around that price?!
    By the time you drive up, money on Diesel, etc...

One thing that annoyed me a bit was the "10 minute consultation" fee £25
    she basically looked into my gob for 10 seonds...
    I was there before around 7 months previous and queried this charge and they said, "the charge has to be applied, if you haven't been at the dentist within 6 months..." BS!

I rang o farrell staunton in newry for a price for a crown £450 in total:eek:
    and I rang that lady in Cross whom somebody recommended earlier in the thread £500 for a crown:eek: so Cloughoughe is cheapest in the area and I only live a few miles away:)

Advertisement