Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is happening with Jurys/Ard Rí Hotel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    How in God's name can such a building be left derelict for nearly 10 years in such a prominent situation.

What's wrong with this town? Does anyone give a $hit? Or is everything OK because it's wrapped up in a bit of plastic?

oh god, don't open pandora's box!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭shebzie

This is getting on all of waterford people I'm sorry but in my eyes fall..s back on this current government and strategy as it was promised to destroy plus other things ,waterford is sapose to be getting The people of waterford and other city, s and county's are keeping thing real,.not the lying government and we done way better b4 these

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Nama couldn't off load it even with a big brown envelope drop round the city...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I'd say Dum Dum gave it a lash Saturday night, he had a cut off half the threads on here yesterday morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Someone needs to go up there will a few can of petrol and creates enough of a fuss that we'll all demand its ripped down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

As far as I know the whole back of the 'white box' is burnt black with a good while. I think there have been a few attempts to burn it down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Why did it close in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Why did it close in the first place?

A typical tale of the Tiger. It was a successful hotel, the only one in town capable of hosting national conferences such as the ASTI and the INO which bring a huge spend wherever they go, not too mention local large weddings and dinner dances. Along come developers who look at all the empty green areas and think, why don't we buy this successful business, close the existing premises and get planning permission for an enormous hotel / conference centre / apartment blocks / assorted commercial units.

The MCEniffs were made an offer they couldn't refuse, the Hotel was closed and grandiose plans drawn up. Tiger dies, developer can't finance, Hotel falls into disrepair. An absolute tragedy for the City in terms of jobs and outside spend, never mind the eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

How much are they selling the hotel / site for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

That hotel was in need of desperate tlc even before it was closed down. It was falling apart. It is a shame its gone it had great views of the town. It always was an eyesore and until its knocked it always will be. A nice upper class housing estate up there would be nice. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Should be bought and linked up with north quays development. Make the whole lot a park with a walkway over the dual carriageway and another walkway over the river. Put a cafe up the top
    where the hotel was. Artificial ski slope on part of the hill. Cable car going like the ones in Barcelona from the top of the hill over to the Viking triangle. Might sound a bit far fetched but would be great for attracting tourists to Waterford and there is great opportunity through tourism for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JourneyMan8

some interesting idea's but agree with the last comment, think whatever goes in its place has to go toward generating tourism, the perfect place to build something crazy to attract, then get the shopping centre up and running off the back of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Yep anything up there tourist related could be the way to go but sorry about being the negative one, id reckon nothing positive from the council or government will ever be done up there.

A private group/developer will get the go ahead to build another ghost estate or retail complex. Obviously I could be talking out of my arse but given the nature of planning regs in this country i wouldnt be one bit surprised if that was to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Ah many a day me and the lack used to go up there drinking cans of lilt and devouring packets of "banshees bones" I used to recite Julius Caesar in the voice of Richard nixon."Hence, home you idle creatures get you home!. I will shed some tears when this beautiful building is knocked, it is magnificently perched over city, keeping an eye on us.Oh I feel so much nostalgia permeate through my feeble john's Park body.I long to once again have a tryst with my lady friend, with a paper brown bag over her face as I perform lascivious acts on her genitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

How in God's name can such a building be left derelict for nearly 10 years in such a prominent situation.

What's wrong with this town? Does anyone give a $hit? Or is everything OK because it's wrapped up in a bit of plastic?

Now 13 years. Crane count in Dublin is 117.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dum_Dum wrote:

Surely that can't be good for Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Now 14 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭azimuth17

A row between two Kilkenny families in court apparently over who actually owns it. Disgraceful condition.

My understanding is that judgement was against Tracy's so they have appealed?
    Am open to correction. Dreadful anyway, the site is a blight on the city and a deterrent to investment, as indeed is the Ferrybank centre. How many people really realise the latter is in Co Kilkenny, permissioned by them, and nothing to do with Waterford City planning?

• Advertisement

I imagine most people in Kilkenny don't even know that place exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If someone is together enough to be making any kind of substantial investment in the city, they will know/find out about Ferrybank. It's not like these people just drive around randomly wondering if they will invest here and decide not to based on seeing this one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Shame to see it the way it is. I watched the 2003 Worthington Cup final up there. Also went to a few Waterford schools quizzes and plenty of feiseanna up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,706 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Such a great location and it's turned into a wasteland

Prob the best view of Waterford City which is definitely marketable

JohnC. wrote: »
    If someone is together enough to be making any kind of substantial investment in the city, they will know/find out about Ferrybank. It's not like these people just drive around randomly wondering if they will invest here and decide not to based on seeing this one thing.

Its the impression it creates about retail vacancy among the general populace and those who may not know the background. Very damaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

azimuth17 wrote: »
    My understanding is that judgement was against Tracy's so they have appealed?
    Am open to correction. Dreadful anyway, the site is a blight on the city and a deterrent to investment, as indeed is the Ferrybank centre. How many people really realise the latter is in Co Kilkenny, permissioned by them, and nothing to do with Waterford City planning?

I think your main gripe should be with Dunnes Stores who behaved despicably during the building of the shopping center.

Years of court cases and holding up the project through the planning process after agreeing to be the anchor tenant and then pulling the plug.

Dunnes have been accused by Retail Excellence Ireland of undermining retail in towns by sitting on large empty units in main streets around the country. Politicians and Council executives have also criticised their behaviour in places like Wexford Town, Enniscorthy, Tralee, Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Used call in there for a treat (dinner) on the way home from shopping in The Hypermarket. Seemed exotic in the early 80s. Nice decor inside and great views.

Would it be better for the Council to clear the site and turn it into something else?

Would it be subject to the vacant site levy?

My understanding is that it (Ardree) cannot be subject to the vacant site levy while legal action is ongoing.It also straddles the Waterford city, Kilkenny county boundary so would need united action. I also understand that the Ferrybank centre breached the RPG (Regional Planning Guidelines) as it was developed by KK Co CO as a town centre shopping centre instead of the district centre required and would be the subject of legal action on that basis if it opened. .

• Advertisement

azimuth17 wrote: »
    My understanding is that it (Ardree) cannot be subject to the vacant site levy while legal action is ongoing.It also straddles the Waterford city, Kilkenny county boundary so would need united action. I also understand that the Ferrybank centre breached the RPG (Regional Planning Guidelines) as it was developed by KK Co CO as a town centre shopping centre instead of the district centre required and would be the subject of legal action on that basis if it opened. .

Wouldn't that bit have about the RPG have come up when Dunnes appealed to ABP and subsequently sought a judicial review?

Advertisement