Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 4 Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Going to have a quick game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Clover wrote: »
    Going to have a quick game :)

AAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH YA FECKER!!!!!!!!! :D Report back soldier asap as to what it's like!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Ah ffs mine keeps crashing to desktop when the loading screen finishes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Played a match just now. Getting over 40fps on medium/high. But the stutter and lag are brutal on a 40ms ping server. and 20 mins into the game and i get a strong smell of burning from the side of my lappy. The same lappy that runs bf3 on high just fine.. im gonna wait for this on ps4 i think ^^ bf3 ylod'ed my ps3 years ago, im wary of dices coding skills with these betas. ill wait for the finished product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I've said it before and I'll say it again...laptops ain't meant for gaming, no matter how good you think it runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,124 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Has anyone has a go of this on the XBOX 360 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can you attach C4 to yourself? Other people? Side of buildings?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Played it on my amd 955 & ati 7870 and it plays fine , I only played a quick game and thought it might seem a bit CODish , as in maybe a bit faster than BF but that might just be me , I need to play it some more .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

What about this....

Get C4

Go to C building

Go up elevator.

Get out.

Put C4 on floor.

Sit

Wait

BOOM

Rinse and repeat....

I've said it before and I'll say it again...laptops ain't meant for gaming, no matter how good you think it runs.

Id agree with you if it was afew years ago.
    My lappy has handled every game iv thrown at it since iv got it in january. I know from personal experience that your exaggerating big time.

Games iv played through with this lappy this year so afar worth mentioning.
    - BF3
    - xcom enemy unknown
    - Metro 2033
    - Metro last light
    - Max payne 3
    - Farcry blood dragon
    - Dead island riptide
    - Bioshock infinite
    - Outlast
    - Dayz

and abunch of other less demanding games not worth mentioning due to easy performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Played a couple of minutes this morning. A shinier than usual beta, plays just like... Battlefield.

No complaints, till I get a few hours on it this evening at least. :)

I know from personal experience that your exaggerating big time.

:confused:

I still hold my opinion firm. Laptops simply don't have the same power as a desktop (of the same value), and heat dissipation is a major problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ Kinley Delicious Kneecap

I have played it for an hour before work.

Battlefield 4 Beta: First Impressions

I have an overclocked i5 760, 8Gb fast RAM, and a 2Gb HD6950 overclocked, all on Windows 8.
    Playing on 1080p, 120Hz, all setting on high, SBAO

Average FPS in the open or in combat 32-40
    Average FPS indoors and alone 38 - 50

GPU is at 100%, Graphics memory used is 1000Mb -1200Mb. I am not using the new 13.10 Beta as people are expierencing problems with it. MSI afterburner's OSD does not work with x64 games so I had to use the console command and I couldnt record video

Perfoverlay.drawfps 1

Its a buggy mess, now I know its beta but to be far DICE do not have the best track record for optmising their games, beta or not. I'm not holding out for a miracle day one 60fps+ release. I am certainly not buying a new PC\CPU

The Map looks ok, aesthetically I am not a fan of the grey/beige of poured concrete, the map is very good in a technical sense. DICE have tried to bring more options to the Control Points with regards attacking and defending. It looks and feels 'meaty' like Battlefield 3: Aftermath as opposed to Seine Crossing. The levolution is not the same as Bad Company 2, this is more BF3+. I had two games and I didnt see much destruction for the gameplay. I know the tower came down once but it is not as frantic as Bad Company 2's "Oh ****, the east wall of my house just exploded!" The Map is very big and I think that you can spawn into any vehicle that is not full which gives more choice as you help a lone wolf on a jet ski take risky Control point.

I played as Support for an hour and it was very fun, the U-100 MK5 is a nice weapon and feels great. The XM25 AIRBURST is ****ing amazing, 11 damage to a tank, 22 to a APC\Jeep hybrid, and it pinged a few transport choppers and it scared them away.
    XM25 AIRBURST
    Fires 25mm grenades that can explode mid-flight creating an airburst effect to eliminate targets behind cover. Aiming down the sights at a cover will lock in that distance, allowing the grenade to explode in the air 3 meters past the cover.

My ammo pack didnt replenish the ammo of the XM25 but there maybe a better ammo pack or set up for replenishing explosives.

There was no "Bad Luck" deaths but there was some serious issues with interp and the network smoothing factor is at 50% as standard, I'll have to play around with that.

The Sound settings were set to surround sound as default and in the Video options the Motion Blur was on ... ughh. The FOV control allows for some serious tweaking, if the numbers mean what I think they mean.

Now you can "Insert Trash Talk" and "Insert Whine" at the score screen at the end of the game, yes you have 30 seconds to type chat while you check your K:D ratio.

I think in-game VOIP is back, which is nice

There was no speed leveling like the BF3 beta, I couldnt advance my Support.

Thats about it, It doesnt have the WOW factor that I got when playing the Bad Company 2 Pipeline? Beta or the BF3 Caspian Border Beta, but its shaping up to be a good game. I might pre-order but I'll check out Titanfall before I bling myself with BF4 Premium

:confused:

I still hold my opinion firm. Laptops simply don't have the same power as a desktop (of the same value), and heat dissipation is a major problem.

I never said lappys are more powerful, but to say there no good for gaming is false.

Value ?, well lappys are more expensive due to the mobility and size.
    Desktops outperforming a laptop is nothing new, but thats not to say you cant buy a powerful laptop for gaming. And just because a laptop doesnt have the same power as a desktop, doesnt mean you cant game on one.

A formula 1 car would destroy a 911 in a race, but thats not to say a 911 cant race.

Heat is the number one problem with a laptop, specially on a hot summers evening. but if its a descent build with good cooling, any problems will be few and far between.

My biggest complaint with laptop gaming is the screen, never seems to be as good as a monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Just had a quick game there. Looks like sh!t, to be expected. Seems smoother than BF3 but nothing revolutionary, I'll reserve judgement until I have played a smaller map with a bit more tactics than ram tank into everything :)

Apart from the game itself, the new Battlelog and Spectator Mode are unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Is this not on the Playstation Store? Can't seem to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Watched a video; looks crappy, grey on grey on grey,..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

sunk in a good few hours.

compared to the BF3 beta, this is leaps ahead in stability. Thats not saying a lot as initial bf3 beta (as linked earlier by me) was a lot of crashing and some massive glitches.

My biggest issue with this is that it doesnt feel optimised which frankly I expected as much. there was a night and day difference between bf3 beta day 1 and full release day 1 so I'm hoping for something similar here. It runs well sometimes then now and then I suffer what I think is a massive fps drop. But they've changed the fps console command so I cant check if it is my fps or if its something else.

Voip is back but limited to who you squad up with.

It has sadly taken Medal of Honours & Rome 2's bad lead and has a ****load of menus which is frustrating both in battlelog (good luck finding where you put in your clan tag :D) and also in the game itself. Why you cannot simply click on a weapon/gadget in the spawn screen at the top to swap it out is beyond me.

gameplay.

well like bf3 beta you'll need to ignore whats going for the first ten minutes cause I have no idea who's settings bf4 is using but that person must have a really good mouse cause the sensitivity was way down, the settings are all on high and so on, so a bit of tweaking.

The map itself is mixed. in classic battlefield tradition when you get a good squad rolling (and the new in game voip makes this much easier, teamed up with a random and we pretty much led our team to victory in two games) it's some of the best natural mutliplayer fps out there. With the C point pre levelution being the highlight when you need to be quite organized to assault it right. B point is another highlight as is A. D and E I spent less time with but D looks to be a reverse of B (going up instead of down) and not sure about E. I have to laugh as despite it happening in almost every game I have yet to *see* levelution, I'm always underground or at A or somewhere out of sight when it happens. C post levelution is a ****ing nightmare. Which brings me to the maps biggest problem.

its a sniper whore's dream. It is too damn easy to get a lot of snipers on the roof of the really tall buildings around the map and while pre C makes it easier at least the building blocks a lot of line of sight. Post C is just opening the whole map for long range F*ck you sniping that had me paranoid going around every corner.

aside from that the Ak12 feels nice and solid but dont bother with the muzzle brake as a lot of the fighting is surprisingly in your face. Not so sure about the Scar-h, but I wasnt even a fan of that in BF3

Helicopters due to the buildings are not the powerhouses they are normally, but tanks are frustrating as hell, especially when playing assault and they roll in under ground to B or A or D or E....yeah tanks can get almost anywhere in the map leading to many f*ck! run away! moments for me.

the change to the defib may have gone...too far. maybe its cause I was the only one to unlock it on the server but man there is no ressing and even if you try

a) its damn hard now with the delay

b) the time frame for ressing is stupidly short. They need to be down within 10 metres of you if you've any hope of ressing.

giving everyone the m320 off the bat may sound like a bad idea but its also been smacked with the nerf bat.

Overall its a good start to things, and I guess its a good sign that even 4 hours of playing I feel like i've scratched nothing in this game yet.

EDIT:

one last thing, I dont know if its a new way of laying it out, but I'm getting the impression the beta shipped with very little of the endgame content, looks like only a few of the weapons for each class are here and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Gentleman Octopus

I had a few quick games and liked it a lot. It seems fairly polished for a beta. It runs well and I'm using seriously outdated drivers!
    The gunplay feels solid and I had some really satisfying gun fights. I spent a bit of time in the tanks and they seem well done however I don't fully understand the new critical hit system properly yet, there were inconsistencies in the number of shots required to blow up other tanks. It's good to see that the essential vehicle unlocks like the secondary LMG, lock-on countermeasures and zoom optics are unlocked by default.
    The SMGs that the engineers get seem quite puny (as they should) but unfortunately you need to use them to unlock the carbines. I hope it's not like that when released. I'd like if the starting carbine, shotgun and DMR are all unlocked by default.
    I also picked up the six-barrel grenade launcher pick-up but I couldn't find anyone to kill with it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, I only hope optimisation will come with better drivers and with actual game too. It does not really look anything better then BF3, but makes my poor pc cry...

So I set everything on ultra, but turned off all AA related stuff and set texture filtering to normal. FPS is pretty stable, but I cant say what fps am I getting as Afterburner is not showing it... thing is, even if I set it to Low settings I still get those random hick ups and Massive FPS drops. At one point I was looking towards the back of the map, where no action and FPS would drop like to 2-5 frames, as soon as I turn around from that spot it goes smooth as silk again. Looks like most of FPs hits is due to optimisation and lack of drivers.

My Old girl is 2500k 8gb and Gtx680.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Played about 2 hours and walked away feeling fairly indifferent to it. It's a bit of an improvement over BF3 ,like others have said, but not that much of an improvement that it had any significant impact on me. The hardcore fans will obviously love it, but it for me, it just feels like a reskin of BF3.Thats fine in it's self but I'm bored ****less of BF3 at the moment so I don't see the point in flogging out over 80 euro for more of the same(inc premium). COD gets torn apart for doing the same thing every year and just making slight improvements, from my short time with the Beta, BF4 is following in CODs footsteps.
    Nothing in the Beta excites me enough to buy the full game and judging by alot of comments I've read around on a few different sites, I'm not the only one Looks like Arma 3 is going to be my main onlne shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Any body playing this with a 570gtx?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Played about 2 hours and walked away feeling fairly indifferent to it. It's a bit of an improvement over BF3 ,like others have said, but not that much of an improvement that it had any significant impact on me. The hardcore fans will obviously love it, but it for me, it just feels like a reskin of BF3.Thats fine in it's self but I'm bored ****less of BF3 at the moment so I don't see the point in flogging out over 80 euro for more of the same(inc premium). COD gets torn apart for doing the same thing every year and just making slight improvements, from my short time with the Beta, BF4 is following in CODs footsteps.
    Nothing in the Beta excites me enough to buy the full game and judging by alot of comments I've read around on a few different sites, I'm not the only one Looks like Arma 3 is going to be my main onlne shooter.

not gonna argue why one would choose arma 3 or bf4 its apples and oranges as far as i am concerned, they are vastly different games aiming for vastly different markets. I like both series, but I wouldnt compare the two.

I will say though that the amount of content on show for the beta of BF4 does seem to be a fraction of what has been shown to be in the final game.

-No commander mode
    -not all weapons and gadgets available
    -only 2 gamemodes on show
    - more maps with more varied levelution features.

yes, if you are sick of the style of game battlefield offers, then go try something different like arma 3 and maybe if the mood takes you then come back to bf4 a few months down the line and find you have the taste for it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Any body playing this with a 570gtx?

If my new graphics card doesn't come today, i will be tonight......

Edit: Ooops, i've the GTX 560

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

It's unreal!

Are we allowed post videos of the Beta?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

what do you use to check fps? afterburner does not work. It does not work for my buddy too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

the_syco wrote: »
    Are we allowed post videos of the Beta?

Yup :)

• Advertisement

Machine just about runs it on "auto", but it's not bad on "low".

Advertisement