Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parliamentary Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Don’t think so. Just typical knee jerk politician. Headline grabbing (if it ever mattered in Ireland) politician crap.....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Tuesday, 18 June 2019
    Brendan Griffin (Kerry, Fine Gael)
    683. To ask the Minister for Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht her views on a matter (details supplied) regarding EU laws banning lead used in shotgun and rifle cartridges; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [25419/19]

Josepha Madigan (Dublin Rathdown, Fine Gael)
    The Agreement on the Conservation of African-Eurasian Migratory Waterbirds (AEWA) was developed under the UN Convention on Migratory Species. Ireland signed up to the Agreement in 2003. The agreement includes a commitment that “Parties shall endeavour to phase out the use of lead shot for hunting in wetlands as soon as possible in accordance with self-imposed and published timetables." My Department’s position is to support the AEWA commitment to phase out the use of lead shot over wetlands.

The European Commission have published an initial draft Regulation for consideration by Member States on the use of lead shot in wetlands following a report on the matter by the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA). It is my understanding that the proposal, should it ultimately progress into law, would make provision for a lead-in time to facilitate the making of arrangements to source alternatives to lead shot.

Wednesday, 19 June 2019
    Jim O'Callaghan (Dublin Bay South, Fianna Fail)
    156. To ask the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice and Equality the measures in place to monitor the modification of licensed firearms; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [25785/19]

David Stanton (Cork East, Fine Gael)
    I wish to advise the Deputy that there are stringent controls under Irish legislation on the issue of firearm certificates by An Garda Síochána and the conditions under which firearms can be held.

An Garda Síochána advise that each application for a firearms certificate is considered on its merits by the issuing officer in An Garda Síochána in accordance with the relevant legislation. I am also advised by An Garda Síochána that in order to record the modification of a firearm, such as a spare barrel, change of calibre, addition of a silencer etc. the firearm holder must make a formal application to the relevant issuing officer in An Garda Síochána. The Superintendent (or Chief Superintendent as the case may be) may then grant the modification. An Garda Síochána further advise that the PULSE system (i.e. An Garda Síochána's IT system) will be updated to reflect any modification and a new firearm certificate will issue to the firearm holder.

All individuals authorised to possess, use or carry any firearm under certificate under the Firearms Acts 1925 to 2009 must at all times act in a responsible manner and fully comply with any conditions attached to the grant of such firearm certificate. It is incumbent on the holder of a firearm certificate to inform his or her local Superintendent (or Chief Superintendent, as the case may be) of any changes in the circumstances surrounding the grant of a firearm certificate or authorisation during the lifetime of the certificate or authorisation. Such changes include any modification of the firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

Where is jim o callaghan going with that modification question or would he be getting mixed up hearing about moderators on firearms I wonder ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

European Chemicals Agency (ECHA), the genuises that brought us the ban on certain chemicals which lead to certain types of propellants being banned such as Varget, etc.

As for suitable alternatives what they mean is we'll ban it, and leave it up to whomever to do, well, whatever they want regardless of suitability, cost, effectiveness, etc.

Lead ammo will still be available even in the worst case scenario. However where it can be shot will be greatly reduced. For deer stalkers, etc. most lands should be okay however with 12,600 wetlands

wmi-final-2016-small_med.jpeg

and 45 of them marked as Ramsar sites,

2018-01-30_wex_38088613_I1.JPG

you'll want to be careful.

Then again as there is a serious lack of rangers to police the current laws i wonder how well it'll be policed anyway. Would most likely be another law that goes unenforced due to lack of resources and finances.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Dail debates
    Thursday, 27 June 2019
    Firearms and Offensive Weapons (Amendment) Bill 2019: First Stage

1:10 pm

I move:

That leave be granted to introduce a Bill entitled an Act to amend the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990 by increasing the maximum sentence that can be imposed for the possession of a knife to cause injury to, incapacitate or intimidate any person.
    I seek leave to introduce legislation entitled the Firearms and Offensive Weapons (Amendment) Bill 2019. The purpose of the legislation is to amend section 9 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990, which deals with the crime of possession of knives. The Acting Chairman will be aware that there have recently been a number of significant criminal events involving the use of knives. Last month a young man was killed with a knife in Dundrum. Earlier this month a man was killed with a knife on O'Connell Street. Two days ago, a woman was killed with a knife in the region of the Liberties in Dublin. Unfortunately the crime statistics that are compiled do not give us specific detail on the number of homicides or assaults committed with a knife, but we do have some statistics that indicate that the use and carrying of knives is increasing. An Garda Sh has been able to provide information to the Minister, which he shared with me in the answer to a parliamentary question. The number of knives seized by An Garda Sh has increased by approximately 66% since 2016. In 2017, 1,600 knives were seized. In 2018, 2,000 were seized. From the recent terrible events and the statistics with which we have been provided, it seems that knives are being carried more frequently. Unfortunately, it also appears to be the case that people are using knives, sometimes with fatal and tragic consequences.

As I have said, the purpose of this legislation is to amend section 9 of the 1990 Act. This section deals with the possession of knives. Section 9(7) deals with the penalties that can be imposed by a court on somebody who is convicted of possession of a knife. The simple purpose of this legislation is to increase the maximum penal sentence that can be imposed upon a person who is found guilty on indictment of possession of a knife from five years to ten years. At present the maximum penalty is five years. Fianna F believes this should be increased to ten years.

We are also fully aware that legislation cannot be the only response to this issue. The legislation will seek to provide a greater deterrent to those who are contemplating carrying a knife but we need a much broader response, based in society, to the issue. Unfortunately, it appears to be the case that many young men think it is appropriate, acceptable and, sometimes, necessary to carry a knife when going out. The message needs to get across that this is not correct. It is dangerous for them and for others and it can destroy lives, whether the life of a person stabbed with a knife or the life of a person who perpetrates such an act. Many perpetrators do not go out with a knife on the day of the offence with the intention of causing harm. They do so because they unwisely believe that it is necessary for their own defence.

In the neighbouring jurisdiction, and in London in particular, there is a chronic problem with the use of knives and the damage such use causes to younger people in particular. We are fortunate to be nowhere near that level of difficulty in this jurisdiction but we have to be conscious that seizures of knives are increasing and that fatal attacks have been carried out with knives. For that reason, this Oireachtas should try to send out a message by increasing the potential maximum sentence for those convicted. It is for that reason that I seek to introduce this Bill.

Alan Farrell (Dublin Fingal, Fine Gael)
    Is the Bill opposed?

SeKyne (Galway West, Fine Gael)
    No.

Question put and agreed to.

Alan Farrell (Dublin Fingal, Fine Gael)
    Since this is a Private Members' Bill, Second Stage must, under Standing Orders, be taken in Private Members' time.

I move: "That the Bill be taken in Private Members' time."

Question put and agreed to.

• Advertisement

I agree with tougher sentences. However this:
    We are also fully aware that legislation cannot be the only response to this issue.
    is the understatement of the decade. It's a fact those already set on breaking the law are not deterred by laws so i doubt a harsher sentence (especially considering the actual time served in most cases is minimal) will do anything but put lip service to the problem.

In the last two days a Glock with some ammo, along with a few hundred cartridges were, both, seized from a car and found in Dublin. Neither were legally held and the law says there are harsh punishments in the form of large fines and 5/7 year prison sentences yet these people still had them.

Tougher laws and sentences only "work" when they are enacted which means proactive policing, increased police numbers, and a review on the judiciary with regard to sentencing.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Will they touch guns with that Bill?

Nothing really firearm in it, but there is the issue of suppressors (along with NV, crossbows, stun guns, etc) being addressed in the 1990 Act. Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

So we are toughening up our knife laws in response to stabbings in London?
    Seem's legit,

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

How am i supposed to butter my bread and cut my steak ?.
    How does banning knives or toughening laws stop THUGS stabbing each other, its not as if they check legislation before they head off at night.
    Its back to pointy sticks in the future i'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I've an idea...Lets make murder illegal using anything or any inanimate object....Oh wait!!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

BryanL wrote: »
    So we are toughening up our knife laws in response to stabbings in London?
    Seem's legit,

The problem in london, and here, is no coppers walking on the beat. I work in the north inner city, i often get off the tram in Stephens green and walk over if its a fine morning. I see plenty of scumbags knocking around, but i cannot honestly remember the last time i see a guard walking around keeping an eye out for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    The problem in london, and here, is no coppers walking on the beat. I work in the north inner city, i often get off the tram in Stephens green and walk over if its a fine morning. I see plenty of scumbags knocking around, but i cannot honestly remember the last time i see a guard walking around keeping an eye out for trouble.

Freind of mine is a garda in city centre has only been at it two years, he was saying when I asked that if he isn't called out he will be in doing his paperwork. Then get the next call responds go back to the station and dose paperwork. Not told patrol as then the paper doesn't get sorted out and courts can/won't act.

Freind of mine is a garda in city centre has only been at it two years, he was saying when I asked that if he isn't called out he will be in doing his paperwork. Then get the next call responds go back to the station and dose paperwork. Not told patrol as then the paper doesn't get sorted out and courts can/won't act.

Yeah i heard that, hours spent at a desk doing paperwork in triplicate, not really what police are for though really is it ? There must be a better way.

Friday, 6 September 2019
    Michael Healy-Rae (Kerry, Independent)
    609. To ask the Tiste and Minister for Justice and Equality if he will address a matter regarding the deactivation of old guns (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [35723/19]

Charles Flanagan (Laois, Fine Gael)
    Under section 6 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990, as amended, deactivated or defective firearms, not capable of being fired, may be kept on the written authorisation of the local Garda Superintendent.

As the Deputy may be aware, on 8 April 2016, a regulation came into effect and introduced new EU-wide standards for deactivated firearms - the European Commission Implementing Regulation 2015/2403 establishing common guidelines on deactivation standards and techniques for ensuring that deactivated firearms are rendered irreversibly inoperable. It has subsequently been amended by Commission Implementing Regulation 2018/337, which came into effect in 2018.

Accordingly and since April 2016, a two-step process is involved, whereby the firearm is firstly deactivated in accordance with the technical requirements of the revised Regulation, followed by an independent verification of this deactivation by a competent public authority appointed by Member States within each jurisdiction.

The first step may be carried out by any Registered Firearms Dealer in Ireland. Arrangements for appointment of a competent public authority in Ireland are currently being progressed by my Department. Pending appointment of such a competent public authority in Ireland, the deactivation of firearms may be verified by the Competent Authority in any other Member State.
    Brendan Griffin (Kerry, Fine Gael)
    674. To ask the Tiste and Minister for Justice and Equality his plans to introduce regulations for the storage of ammunition; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [36492/19]

I am pleased to confirm for the Deputy that a number of regulations are already in place in relation to storage of firearms and ammunition in Ireland.

The Firearms (Secure Accommodation) Regulations 2009 (SI No. 307 of 2009) introduced regulations governing the secure storage of firearms in the home. These regulations set out the minimum security standards in relation to the provision of secure accommodation for relevant firearms.

The Firearms (Storage of Firearms and Ammunition by Firearms Dealers) Regulations 2017 (SI No. 646 of 2017) set out minimum standards for the safe and secure storage of firearms and ammunition in the premises of firearms dealers. The different categories of firearms dealers are recognised and the regulations scale the requirements depending on the quantities of ammunition and firearms being stored.

Most recently, the European Communities (Acquisition and Possession of Weapons and Ammunition) Regulations 2019 (SI No. 420 of 2019) came into effect on 1 September 2019. These regulations give effect in national law to EU Directive 2017/953. Among other provisions, requirements are set out in relation to the storage of ammunition for relevant firearms. The regulations provide that when the relevant firearm is not in use, the ammunition for it must be stored in a locked receptacle that is separate from any firearm in which that ammunition is capable of being used. The regulation also provides that when a relevant firearm or ammunition is being transported, the firearm must be concealed from view and stored separately from the ammunition, and that the ammunition must be stored in a locked receptacle.

HAH. Its only been 3.5 years Charlie, no rush.
    ........since April 2016, a two-step process is involved, whereby the firearm is firstly deactivated in accordance with the technical requirements of the revised Regulation, followed by an independent verification of this deactivation by a competent public authority appointed by Member States within each jurisdiction.

The first step may be carried out by any Registered Firearms Dealer in Ireland. Arrangements for appointment of a competent public authority in Ireland are currently being progressed by my Department. Pending appointment of such a competent public authority in Ireland,

Thursday, 19 September 2019
    Brendan Smith (Cavan-Monaghan, Fianna Fail)
    37. To ask the Minister for Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht if her attention has been drawn to the concerns of an organisation (details supplied) on a proposed EU-wide ban on lead shot; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [37895/19]

Josepha Madigan (Dublin Rathdown, Fine Gael)
    The Agreement on the Conservation of African-Eurasian Migratory Waterbirds (AEWA) was developed under the UN Convention on Migratory Species. Ireland signed up to the Agreement in 2003. The agreement includes a commitment that “Parties shall endeavour to phase out the use of lead shot for hunting in wetlands as soon as possible in accordance with self-imposed and published timetables." This is because there is slow accumulation of lead from shot in wetlands where hunting occurs. The lead is generally harmful in the environment and can also be consumed by wildfowl which often swallow small pieces of hard materials such as gravel and the like, to assist the maceration of vegetable matter in their gizzard. My Department’s position is to support the AEWA commitment to phase out the use of lead shot over wetlands.

The European Commission have published an initial draft Regulation for consideration by Member States on the use of lead shot in wetlands following a report on the matter by the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA). It is my understanding that the proposal, should it ultimately progress into law, would make provision for a lead-in time to facilitate the making of arrangements to source alternatives to lead shot. It is Ireland's understanding the majority of Member States currently have some restrictions on the use of lead shot over wetlands.

The Department is aware that the ban on using lead in gunshot would provide a range of difficulties to transition to new guns/gunshot for many gun owners in Ireland, including farmers and hunters. In those Member States which do have some restrictions, many gun owners would already have guns with non-lead shot ammunition. This would not be the case in Ireland where a considerable number of gun owners would have to make alternative arrangements, in many cases to purchase new guns.

Discussions with the REACH Committee (which is within the remit of the ECHA), are ongoing. Ireland is represented on the Committee by the Health and Safety Authority (HSA), and will be requesting a lead-in time of sufficient length for the implementation of the Regulation.

IOW BAAA BAAA!!We ll just do as our betters tell us to do and think in Brussels, and as minister without a clue I'll just read a prepared statement to shut you up!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    IOW BAAA BAAA!!We ll just do as our betters tell us to do and think in Brussels, and as minister without a clue I'll just read a prepared statement to shut you up!

It's a total ban though the minister is waffling on about wetlands not a clue what she is spouting

Tuesday, 1 October 2019
    John McGuinness (Carlow-Kilkenny, Fianna Fail)
    272. To ask the Tiste and Minister for Justice and Equality the consultation that took place between his Department and the stakeholders relative to SI 420/2019; if an organisation (details supplied) was involved in the consultation; if the text used by other EU countries was examined when implementing EU directive 2017/853; if the concerns being expressed by stakeholders will be considered; if the SI will be amended accordingly; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [39585/19]

As Minister for Justice and Equality, I signed the European Communities (Acquisition and Possession of Weapons and Ammunition) Regulations 2019 (SI No. 420 of 2019) into law on 2 August 2019 and circulated to members of the Firearms Consultative Panel and Registered Firearms Dealers. It has also been published on the website of the Department of Justice and Equality, along with a guidance note.

These regulations came into effect on 1 September 2019. They give effect to EU Directive 2017/853/EU which enhances controls on the acquisition and possession of firearms.

As part of this process, all registered firearms dealers were invited to a consultation meeting with Department of Justice and Equality officials in Mullingar in August 2018, at which the new EU Directive was discussed.

It was not possible to organise a further consultation in advance of the making of the Statutory Instrument, between completion of the drafting process end July 2019; and signature by the Minister, beginning of August 2019, due to significant time pressure for completion of the process in the context of infringement proceedings against Ireland on the matter.

I can also say that my officials met recently with representatives of the organisation referred to by the Deputy, to allow them to outline their concerns in relation to the matter. The organisation referred to has also made a submission to the Department, setting out their concerns and alternative suggestions in relation to the matter.

My Department is considering the matters raised and will consult with the Office of the Attorney General where relevant.
    John Deasy (Waterford, Fine Gael)
    256. To ask the Tiste and Minister for Justice and Equality the number of handguns licensed in the State; and the number of handgun licences issued by Garda district and Garda division in each of the past three years. [39394/19]

The data requested by the Deputy refers is not maintained by the Department of Justice and Equality. I have asked the Garda Commissioner for the information requested and I will write directly to the Deputy when I receive it.

Something of a surprising answer, that.

• Advertisement

From the debate on the Firearms and Offensive Weapons (amendment) Bill 2019:
    John Lahart (Dublin South West, Fianna Fail)

I join my colleagues in commending Deputy O'Callaghan for bringing this legislation forward. I wish to share with the House some correspondence that I entered into with the Garda Commissioner's office on foot of the Christchurch, New Zealand massacre regarding the use of semi-automatic weapons.

I put down a few questions and got comprehensive replies. I asked initially when legislation was last introduced concerning firearms and, given it has been ten years, it is timely we are looking at these offensive weapons. I again commend my colleague on allowing us the opportunity to do this.

One of the questions I asked was how many semi-automatic centre-fire rifles - that is, larger calibre, military-style rifles - are currently licensed in this jurisdiction and how many semi-automatic rifles in smaller calibres such as .22 are currently licensed. I was told that a new category of firearms certificate, namely, a restricted firearms certificate, was introduced in the legislation in 2009. Of the approximately 53,408 rifles currently licensed in the State as of May this year, only 263 fall into the restricted category. The majority of these 263 restricted rifles are predominantly licensed for the purpose of recreational target practice at authorised shooting ranges, which are very strictly regulated. The point is that these are the types of weapons that were used in the Christchurch attacks in New Zealand. As I said, the majority of these 263 restricted rifles are licensed for the purposes of recreational target practice. However, I am told these firearms are not kept or stored in clubs and the individual owner brings these rifles to the clubs. For the remainder of the time, they are kept in the private possession of the individual owner. This is exactly what happened in Christchurch. They are free to access them at any time, as was the case with the perpetrator of the New Zealand assault. They are military-style, high-capacity, semi-automatic weapons and have no real application in a sporting sense. While it may seem a small figure, there are more than 260 of them in the hands of individuals in Ireland. I believe they should not be just regulated or restricted; they should be banned.

The final question I asked was in regard to whether gun licence holders have to undergo any form of mental health vetting or Garda vetting prior to being licensed and, if so, what is the nature of such vetting. The Minister of State might clarify that point. The general answer I get is that each application for a firearms certificate is considered on its individual merits by an issuing person, so there does not seem to be any great series of loops a person who has one of these has to go through. That ought to be looked at, possibly in the context of this Bill and, if necessary, there should be further restrictions or tightening. It seems to be at the discretion of the issuing person involved. The Minister might take on board some of those suggestions.

The deputy received no answers during the debate.

Full bill here : https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2019/50/eng/initiated/b5019d.pdf
    It currently only increases the sentence for someone who is caught carrying a knife for the purpose of harming someone.

Sparks wrote: »
    Something of a surprising answer, that.
    Yeah.

In short "We didn't consult anyone, we rushed it through, we made a cock of it, and now that it's been pointed out to us were going to review it to close any loopholes we left".

Because as God is my Judge, they won't relax or repeal any silly parts of it, just close the screw ups they made.

Sparks wrote: »
    John Lahart (Dublin South West, Fianna Fail)

I believe they should not be just regulated or restricted; they should be banned.
    Well, there you go. not exactly a shocker that a politician wants guns banned, but with the general election just around the corner we're going to be seeing a lot more of this.

He is so ignorant on firearm matters that he says the last law was over 10 years ago, then goes on to say he was only just informed that there is such a thing as a restricted license. You know, from TEN years ago. So where was his input or objections then?

They have just said we are on the verge of a mass shooting. He can dress it up and take cover under Dail privilege but he has just said we need the guns taken off us. The ignorance, and derogatory tone of that comment (that is as polite as i can phrase that) is astounding..

The problem with him and his ilk is they have access to not only a microphone, but the legislative process.

Lahart another FF Baaan Baannn idiot.:mad: However ,methinks instead of fuliminating agains this fool,maybe we should try educating him so he knows better?

Or completely ignore him for the "Fidel" McGrath wannabe that he is.

Think, the Streisand Effect.

Cass wrote: »
    Yeah.

In short "We didn't consult anyone, we rushed it through, we made a cock of it, and now that it's been pointed out to us were going to review it to close any loopholes we left".

Because as God is my Judge, they won't relax or repeal any silly parts of it, just close the screw ups they made.

"And because if we dont impliment it soonest by Oct 1st our EU overlords will fine us 250 to 500k per day!" Would be proably the main reason.:mad:

Well they had no problem paying the fines for charging VAT on cars and other imported goods from the EU, and even when they changed it to VRT to try avoid the fines they still continue to charge it.

The difference with cars and gun is the revenue from cars is SO MUCH MORE than the fines it's worthwhile. Guns, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    "And because if we dont impliment it soonest by Oct 1st our EU overlords will fine us 250 to 500k per day!" Would be proably the main reason.:mad:

Bit of information for you up-to last week only 4 countries signed this directive into law the rest have it sitting in limbo. We rushed it through and made a balls of it and they are sitting back probably trying to work it out in a fully workable way

Lahart, playing to the gallery. How on earth can anyone vote FF after the gangsterism that they went on with under Ahern and Biffo ? Are the Irish that thick ? Makes me sick.

• Advertisement

Thursday, 3 October 2019
    Seán Fleming (Laois, Fianna Fail)
    102. To ask the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice and Equality the new regulations that have been introduced in relation to the safeguarding of ammunition in respect of shotguns and the requirement for them to be kept in a locked box in vehicles when they are not on the property of the owner; the consultation and the organisations that were involved in the discussions prior to these rules or regulations being introduced; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [40197/19]

David Stanton (Cork East, Fine Gael)
    As the Deputy may be aware, Statutory Instrument 420 of 2019 European Communities (Acquisition and Possession of Weapons and Ammunition) (Amendment) Regulations 2019 gives effect to Directive (EU) 2017/853 in national law.

The main changes introduced relate to:

- marking of firearms;
    - new storage requirements for firearms and ammunition;
    - prohibition of the acquisition of large capacity magazines; and
    - prohibition of certain firearms.

There was some consultation as part of the process of making this SI. All registered firearms dealers were invited to an initial consultation meeting with officials of my Department in Mullingar in August 2018, at which the new EU Directive was discussed. I understand that over 250 invitations were issued to that consultation and that 51 firearms dealers attended.

It may be noted that there was significant time pressure for production of this Statutory Instrument, due to infringement proceedings commenced against Ireland by the European Commission. As such it was unfortunately not possible to organise a further consultation in advance of the making of the Statutory Instrument, between completion of the drafting process in July 2019 and signature of the regulations in August 2019.

I understand that the Statutory Instrument has now been circulated to members of the Firearms Consultative Panel and Registered Firearms Dealers and it has also been published on my Department's website, along with a guidance note.

Finally, I can confirm to the Deputy that my officials recently met with representatives of the National Association of Regional Game Councils (NARGC), to allow them to outline any concerns. I have asked my officials to consider the matters raised and to consult with the Office of the Attorney General, where relevant. The NARGC has also been advised to contact An Garda Síochána for clarification on their guidelines on the Statutory Instrument.

Advertisement