Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shoots himself in the foot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

Sounds like he went to decock it like an old revolver by pulling the trigger and holding the hammer while pointing it at his foot, or the decocker magically failed and went off while pointing it at his own foot...

Also like how the shooting/accident/ND was the fault of the firearm and not the eejit behind it, typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Just like the boot door failing on a high spec garda car causing the loss of an automatic weapon all on its own.
    I wonder what the car manufacturer is doing to rectify this massive design flaw after the AGS highlighted and complained to them about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Robotack

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Well,I can tell you that the Limerick ASU use single action.Last time I saw one was about four months ago on one of them.So unless they changed them recently and this instructor was unfammilar with it???

How could you see it? Was it out of the holster?

• Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

solarwinds wrote: »
    Just like the boot door failing on a high spec garda car causing the loss of an automatic weapon all on its own.
    I wonder what the car manufacturer is doing to rectify this massive design flaw after the AGS highlighted and complained to them about it.

Doesn't seem to be another case of it 'failing' anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Robotack wrote: »
    How could you see it? Was it out of the holster?

By standing close to the Garda in a que and observing an exposed large hammer on said firearm in holster right hand side.:P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Hammer is not bobbed on AGS SIGs. They are DAO, not not DAK. Plus the issued holster covers the hammer. But I guess he could have had a different holster. But the only way to be sure is to see the LHS of the frame for a decking lever.

The amount of know alls with options on here really makes me laugh though. Not referring to everyone, just the clowns with the piggy type comments... Hiding behind user names. I wonder if they'd be so vocal when they're applying for their gun licences. There's idiots in every job and the guards is obviously no exception, but accidents happen in every job.... Tell ya what, if any of you who have such strong opinions can tell me you've every carried a loaded firearm in the service of your respective country or community, then you get an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

The amount of know alls with options on here really makes me laugh though. Not referring to everyone, just the clowns with the piggy type comments... Hiding behind user names. I wonder if they'd be so vocal when they're applying for their gun licences. There's idiots in every job and the guards is obviously no exception, but accidents happen in every job.... Tell ya what, if any of you who have such strong opinions can tell me you've every carried a loaded firearm in the service of your respective country or community, then you get an opinion.

I guess I could come under the clown you refer to there.
    So let me see I am not entitled to an opinion unless I have carried a loaded firearm in service of my country.
    Well lucky for me that I have, and another thing it sure as s**t wasn't played with like a toy or an extension of a particular body part. It was treated with the respect anything that can take a life deserved.
    So here it goes, I find it laughable that the GS have the neck to refuse me my renewal pre 2009 on the grounds of PUBLIC SAFETY, yet renew all my other large calibre rifles no questions asked. Then for said individuals to take my property without my knowledge and illegally destroy it. So I do apologise if I hold the bible preachers to a higher standard and call them out when in recent times they themselves have been a greater threat to public safety then I every could be.
    I find it laughable that these incompetence issues are passed off as equipment failure, typical of Ireland to just cover it up and hold no one to account. They would have more credibility and respect if they called it for what it was and removed said individuals from there positions with a reprimand.
    Any one of those instances happen to the likes of us and you can kiss your shooting goodbye, hell a fictitious complaint from an annoyed neighbour is enough to have your guns taken.
    So after all that I think everyone and anyone is entitled to an opinion, and not just those people who can identify the make, model and calibre at 20 paces just by the number of serrations on its hammer.
    Robo this is not a personal go at you and I do not want to offend but we all have a right to our views.

I guess you do.... FCA doesn't count.....

I'm gonna guess that the the guy who shot himself wasn't one of the "individuals" that wronged you.

Who knows, maybe he will be reprimanded and / or removed from his position.... Possibly because he did wrong or possibly because he'll have a limp or possibly because he'll quit the job to spend his compensation :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Wrong.. Garda Sigs are DAO, with the exception of a little few double / singles in certain units
    So they are used, albeit in smaller numbers?
    Hiding behind user names.
    Sick and tired of this line whenever someone feels they have been wronged or are simply pissed.

The SITE RULES state you pick a username and NO ONE can demand you give your real name. So no one is "hiding" and anyone demanding a person's real identity will themselves be shown the door, very quickly.
    I wonder if they'd be so vocal when they're applying for their gun licences.
    I don't know where on the FCA1 it allows you give opinions on incidents like this and as there is no vocal component to applying i fail to see the relevance.

Or are you saying that having an opinion and voicing it here can directly impact your ability to get a firearms license?
    ............ if any of you who have such strong opinions can tell me you've every carried a loaded firearm in the service of your respective country or community, then you get an opinion.
    I don't need to have carried a firearm in my job/duties to be able to think or form an opinion. In the same way as i don't need a Masters degree in economics to discuss the financial state of the country, or be a woman to discuss abortion, or be a politician to have an opinion on current affairs, etc.

When AGS mess up it's someone else's fault. They blamed Audi for the incident last year with GSOC even clearing the two Gardaí involved. Wouldn't be surprised if SIG get blamed for this one. I understand and accept that its rarely one thing that causes a problem, but there is always a human component to incidents and those responsible should be held to account for their actions, but they're not.

However when criminals kill each other or some poor innocent sod then civilian, and licensed, gun owners lose the ability to apply for and own certain types of guns. The incidents have nothing to do with us [the shooting community], yet we're punished. So some of the comments, while i don't agree with them, are as a result of vexation at the double standards.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'm reminded here of awebcam set up somewhere in the USA that is 'looking' at a cocked revolver on top of a wardrobe, observing the possibility that it will somehow squeeze its own trigger and fire. I'm advised that it is, in fact, empty of ammunition - just trying to make a point.

And yes, I'm also of the opinion that the manufacturers, who have spent millions of euros in R&D to ensure that the gun is safe to handle unless the trigger is deliberately squeezed whilst it is pointed at a target, will end up taking the hit for this. Ineptitude always blames the tool.

I'll be more specific Cass... They are used by ONE unit. Just one... And not the one you said your grandad was in. Which on a side note I've never actually heard of but perhaps it's something that's been renamed in the last 15 years ? .... I'm assuming he's retired.

Sick & tired or not, they're keyboard warriors hiding behind user names. I'm not pissed nor do I feel wronged. Just engaging in a little debate.

tac foley wrote: »
    I'm reminded here of awebcam set up somewhere in the USA that is 'looking' at a cocked revolver on top of a wardrobe, observing the possibility that it will somehow squeeze its own trigger and fire. I'm advised that it is, in fact, empty of ammunition - just trying to make a point.

And yes, I'm also of the opinion that the manufacturers, who have spent millions of euros in R&D to ensure that the gun is safe to handle unless the trigger is deliberately squeezed whilst it is pointed at a target, will end up taking the hit for this. Ineptitude always blames the tool.

Totally agree with tac here. Except that there probably won't be any taking the hit, because it'll most likely be swept away with no repercussions for anyone.

I'll be more specific Cass... They are used by ONE unit. Just one... And not the one you said your grandad was in. Which on a side note I've never actually heard of but perhaps it's something that's been renamed in the last 15 years ? .... I'm assuming he's retired.
    My Godfather, and yes he is well retired. I think its called CAB or possibly renamed again since.
    Sick & tired or not, they're keyboard warriors hiding behind user names. I'm not pissed nor do I feel wronged. Just engaging in a little debate.
    You've just called them names again.
    Keyboard warrior

a person who makes abusive or aggressive posts on the Internet, typically one who conceals their true identity.
    You're better off attacking their point, and not the person.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Hammer is not bobbed on AGS SIGs. They are DAO, not not DAK. Plus the issued holster covers the hammer. But I guess he could have had a different holster. But the only way to be sure is to see the LHS of the frame for a decking lever.

They can be both actually... And I DO know when I see a exposed hammer,irrespective of the holster,whether issued or not. BTW AGS also kindly provided Limerick Post with a pic of the type of SIG used which is in the link article a few posts back. Now,I'm prettyyy sure they didnt run off to wherever to go and get the ultra correct gun for the media...BUT this one DOES have a decock,exposed hammer and saftey

And for carrying on work.25 years of private investigation.Five of those being on a personal protection detail in the US and two EU countries carrying various different side arms and long arms that were available or issued by whatever company had on their rack! Does that entitle me to an "opinion" in your books?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

The original story,and from what the Nationals are feeding off.
    Best line "A Garda source said that the injured Garda is "very respected" and "is very experianced in using firearms":)

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2019/07/25/garda-recovering-from-accidental-shooting/?fbclid=IwAR2vUhqYK5GgsvBHC7kubIblu4Y_5UlSXqEJPlg5tAYpIimXzwhfiMdVGJE
    They can be both actually... And I DO know when I see a exposed hammer,irrespective of the holster,whether issued or not. BTW AGS also kindly provided Limerick Post with a pic of the type of SIG used which is in the link article a few posts back. Now,I'm prettyyy sure they didnt run off to wherever to go and get the ultra correct gun for the media...BUT this one DOES have a decock,exposed hammer and saftey

And for carrying on work.25 years of private investigation.Five of those being on a personal protection detail in the US and two EU countries carrying various different side arms and long arms that were available or issued by whatever company had on their rack! Does that entitle me to an "opinion" in your books?

If that's the post article that you mention, the journalist just Google'd P226 and found an image, as the one in that post is from this Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFP36TQw2qs

Well spotted Sir.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Talk about making shlt up to suit your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Martin, I'm thinking that you might not be so smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

I think this thread is straying off the path into a slagging match...not good....

• Advertisement

The thread has well and truly run it's course.

There is nothing to be added to the discussion that is new or going to progress it. Perhaps when more information comes out we can revisit it, but until then i'm closing the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

tac foley wrote: »
    I think you'll find, in most cases, that the ankle is closely located to the foot, unless, of course, things are different where you live.

Right now, Sir, your record on 'quote-quoting' is batting a solid zero - MY quote -

News Irish News Thursday 25 July 2019

Probe launched after garda accidentally shoots himself in the foot

Soooooo, either put up, or................................

https://www.thejournal.ie/gsoc-investigation-discharge-garda-firearm-4823001-Sep2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Isn't it worth a smile when they are issued with a personal fire arm of a Sig P226 SELF-LOADING pistol, not a SEMI-AUTOMATIC pistol.

Is this because self loading doesn't sound as bad as Semi Auto?

Maybe we should collectively start to refer to ours as self loading?

(Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I'm taking this as a bit of a quote from the previous posts referenced news paper article).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

dc99 wrote: »
    Isn't it worth a smile when they are issued with a personal fire arm of a Sig P226 SELF-LOADING pistol, not a SEMI-AUTOMATIC pistol.

Is this because self loading doesn't sound as bad as Semi Auto?

Maybe we should collectively start to refer to ours as self loading?

(Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I'm taking this as a bit of a quote from the previous posts referenced news paper article).

The British forces beat them to it, semi auto only FAL aka SLR.

Well in these days of gender being a constraint and labelling is discriminitory.Mine identifies as a single shot.22 pistol,and my rifle identifies as a double barrel shotgun! :rolleyes:

"The ASU when it was the RSU (Regional Support Unit) was previously armed with UZI machine guns but these were decommissioned in favour of the MP7 submachine gun.

“The Uzis were taken out and the mp7s brought in because they were deemed to be better and safer.”

Holy Sht snacks!! So using select fire close quarter battlefield weapons in a civillian setting is considerd safe and better??:rolleyes:

The ASU in Limerick were instrumental in solving the gang feud. They are an absolute credit to the force and the gangs are terrified of them,” one source said.

Righhhtttt...ok...Whatever you say there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The safety record of the Gardaí with firearms is worrying to say the least.

Thankfully they are not all armed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Anyone know what the current requirements are for Gardai to be deemed suitable to carry a firearm?

I assume that they are required to put time in at a range regularly, do periodic refresher training courses etc.

Thanks,

G.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement