Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

1146147148149150152»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG I can hear rain outside!!!! :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Much cooler today at 18.0C. The high was 19.6C just after midnight. There is also rain. The ground is wet. There has been 2.0mm recorded today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Around here the tar on the roads came to the surface on the warmer days and today in the wet they look like they have been painted with black gloss, could be a bit slippery I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭highdef

Verity. wrote: »
    Normally our garden would be full of birds, things had gone eerily quiet until this morning. It has rained most of last night and today here, and little robins and chaffinches are back at our door. They had just gone off the radar altogether.

So glad to see the rain today, plants getting a good soaking. I can smell the earth again.
    Have you been feeding them during this dry spell? As you can recognise the various species, I can only assume you're wildlife friendly and are helping them survive this tough time. I'm going through 2kg of bird feed every second day at the moment as the small birds have little else to eat. So happy that I'm keeping the little birds going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Sorry lads 'n lassies, whats this wet droplet thingy falling from the sky right now called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Verity.

highdef wrote: »
    Have you been feeding them during this dry spell? As you can recognise the various species, I can only assume you're wildlife friendly and are helping them survive this tough time. I'm going through 2kg of bird feed every second day at the moment as the small birds have little else to eat. So happy that I'm keeping the little birds going strong.

Yes we do feed the birds, they are a joy to have around and I know they struggle at certain times of the year. We put out an array of nuts and seeds etc but do you know something? The birds hardly go near them since the summer arrived. We live in the countryside, and the only thing I can put that down to is the availability of berries or wild foods?

Still raining here, heavily enough too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I leave water out for the wildlife but not much food. There are various berries around the house and we have loads of birds around. Some sort of animal has been snuffing around at night too, driving the dogs mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

4,540 posts on a thread that wasn't about snow has to be some sort of record.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: As we are entering a cooler period away from heat wave conditions with temperatures forecast by Met Eireann to reach 18-21C today and top temps odf 16-20C tomorrow and probably tops of 20 or 21C for the following days it is best to close this thread for now and thank Kermit for starting it and keeping the informative posts flowing and all the other contributors for making it a must go to thread every day.

Please continue to post in the Summer Discussion Thread or one of the other more specific threads.

Until the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Pity the heatwave thread is closed. I did up this map of absolute maximum temperatures recorded at all stations and airports during this heatwave. Maybe a mod can stick it in there for the record?

The round temperature icons show the maximum rounded temperatures from the regional airports' METARs.

455853.png

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement