Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If Covid had happened in the year 2000 ?

• 15-09-2020 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

I firmly believe that apart from maybe a few hand sanitizer dispensers being installed in public buildings life would have gone on like normal and a lockdown would be completely out of the question. In those days working/studying online from home would have been a non starter. Less than 1% of the population bought online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I firmly believe that apart from maybe a few hand sanitizer dispensers being installed in public buildings life would have gone on like normal and a lockdown would be completely out of the question. In those days working/studying online from home would have been a non starter. Less than 1% of the population bought online.

SARS did happen 17 years ago. Because of the origin of the virus the people didnt travel as much now so the spread would be as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

Oranage2 wrote: »
    SARS did happen 17 years ago. Because of the origin of the virus the people didnt travel as much now so the spread would be as bad.

Nonsense, travel was buzzing in 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Nonsense, travel was buzzing in 2003

Well I mean where the virus originated from, the people there wouldn't have traveled as much as they do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People would claim you could get it from the Y2K bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The stats on excess deaths in the UK during this crisis were interesting - someone might presume they were the highest (disease related) death figures EVER EVER EVER. Well apparently there were more deaths in January 2000 which coincided with a bad flu outbreak. There was no fuss about that at the time.

And yeah, if there hadn't been a lockdown for Covid the number of deaths in the UK would probably have been worse but nobody can say how much worse.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52361519

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Fear, contagion and crowds. Add social media into the mix and it's clear to see we got caught up in a fearful frenzy. Didn't need to be nostradamus to predict this. I honestly can't believe how lost in the stupor those from the top up were/are. I get it for like 3 months from, let's say, March to June but once we had more data on the virus, it should have been obvious that the threat it posed was very very small and in no way, called for the lockdowns which have brought and will bring about economic calamity, affecting the poor unequally, all the while Bezo's and co. pocketed a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i think its a very serious threat,lets say 1000 young people get it ,
    they pass it on to their older relations and parents .
    We have limited medical resources and icu beds and we are not even into flu season yet.
    if this was the year 2000 we might be using audio apps, instead of hd video on zoom .
    even if you are young and get covid and recover it can effect your health in the long term and it effects each person differently .
    young people and students would simply stay at home ,
    even in 2000 people had basic internet even it was only through a 56 k modem.
    I think its ridiculous now where they have 8 year old kids doing school lessons over zoom .
    The government had no choice but to put us into lockdown.
    Even now i go into a shop and someone is standing 4 inchs behind me,
    some people are morons or else they do not understand social distancing .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Many aspects of life in the year 2000 would need to be considered. A big one would be, what was our ICU capacity relative to population. The health service is a lot more high tech now - I well remembera family member seriously ill in Naas hospital in 2000, the ward was like a dungeon and the ICU wasn't much better, windows were caked in grime. But even with all our shiny new infrastructure and many undoubted improvements, maybe the health service is a bigger shambles now than it was then. Add this to this all the other changes since 2000 and its easy to see how a huge panic would set in.

Also, if Covid hit us in 2000 would it have ripped through "old folks homes" (again many of these were dungeon like compared to modern units) Were there as many people in such homes then, perhaps there was more scope for/culture of looking after the elderly at home. If there were a large number of deaths in such homes in a year 2000 Covid pandemic, would we even have heard of them. Maybe deaths would have just have been shrugged off as old people dying from "a bad flu".

It's like the weather. - two of the worst wind storms in decades hit us in the Christmas periods in 1997 and 1998. Some people died. Storms were not named. The preparations and reactions today would be vastly different. Some lives might be saved but there would be other consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

People would claim you could get it from the Y2K bug.

Esat Digifone 2G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

There would have been less hysteria from social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Year 2000? We would all take our iodine tablets which would presumably save us from covid (as well as nuclear radiation)

Who remembers Minister Joe Jacob in 2001, all about Irish nuclear disaster procedures?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhX4KsG9mfE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Instead of an app, there’s be an AOL page with spinning logos, flashing text and an animated gif of a man digging saying “Covid 99 Information site under construction”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

There would have been less hysteria from social media.

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=873136

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Did the country go into a form of lockdown during the foot and mouth in 2001 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The zoo closed for 6 months, no one was allowed on farms, and offices had a mat soaked with Dettol at the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

The zoo closed for 6 months, no one was allowed on farms, and offices had a mat soaked with Dettol at the front door.

I can remember some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

BrianD3 wrote: »
    The stats on excess deaths in the UK during this crisis were interesting - someone might presume they were the highest (disease related) death figures EVER EVER EVER. Well apparently there were more deaths in January 2000 which coincided with a bad flu outbreak. There was no fuss about that at the time.

And yeah, if there hadn't been a lockdown for Covid the number of deaths in the UK would probably have been worse but nobody can say how much worse.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52361519

Facts like this get thrown around in threads and just seem to go unchecked..this is just wrong. Excess deaths in 2000 int he UK were high, surprisingly with all ICU units in London filled with flu patients, but excess deaths were still much lower than from COVID this year. Excess deaths in UK 1999/2000 were about 48,0000.https://fullfact.org/health/how-many-excess-deaths-are-there-winter/

COVID excess deaths in the UK are almost 66,000
    https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-5eb7-4633-b89c-cbdf5b386938

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

My recollection is that it was taken very seriously with police checkpoints around a lot more than usual, and footdips everywhere, even in urban areas. But not remotely a lockdown as we had recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We'd be using Aertel to get the Daily Numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Census 2001 was deferred until 2002.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,547 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm lifetime banned from donating blood in the united states over the whole ordeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Overheal wrote: »
    I'm lifetime banned from donating blood in the united states over the whole ordeal.

Same, that was a surprise to learn. That's BSE related, not foot and mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Bush would have went to war with China

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Foot and mouth in 2001 was a good example of understanding what would have happened.bfirstly the disease didn’t infect humans but could be spread by shoes boots etc.

Saint Patrick’s day parades were all cancelled. 6 nations sakes. Parks, forrests play ground all closed. Imports of animals banned. They were quick to implement all required actions for it is probable that it would be similar to what has happened..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Wouldn't have had all the facebook disease experts telling us we're sheep. That would have been a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

If Covid had happened in the year 2000 ?

...also in 2000, if the was a winter storm we didn't get a 'Status Orange Warning' (where everybody was advised had to stay indoors or die), it was just a winter storm, and life continued as normal ....

I think know what you mean? Life would have carried in as per normal without all the "lockdown" measures, heck, even the word lockdown was unheard of back then. The virus would have swept through, and you either got it or you didn't ....

No OTT media hype, is this your drift?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wouldn't have had all the facebook disease experts telling us we're sheep. That would have been a plus.

I never hear anything good about that site, yet half the planet is still on it, humans are so weird

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

...also in 2000, if the was a winter storm we didn't get a 'Status Orange Warning' (where everybody was advised had to stay indoors or die), it was just a winter storm, and life continued as normal ....

I think know what you mean? Life would have carried in as per normal without all the "lockdown" measures, heck, even the word lockdown was unheard of back then. The virus would have swept through, and you either got it or you didn't ....

No OTT media hype, is this your drift?

Foot and mouth would indicate otherwise. The same or similar steps that have been taken the past few months would have been taken back then as well. The major difference being to the practicalities of working/learning from home - ie neither would have been possible. That and the capacity of the state to come up with the cash required to pay for all of the Covid related costs would have been much different. This was prior to 2008 so would massive austerity instead of borrowing been the method?
    That said there was less international travel, less globalisation so maybe the virus may not have been as widespread in the first instance.

The virus just wouldn't have 'swept through' without major consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

riclad wrote: »
    i think its a very serious threat,lets say 1000 young people get it ,
    they pass it on to their older relations and parents .
    We have limited medical resources and icu beds and we are not even into flu season yet.
    if this was the year 2000 we might be using audio apps, instead of hd video on zoom .
    even if you are young and get covid and recover it can effect your health in the long term and it effects each person differently .
    young people and students would simply stay at home ,
    even in 2000 people had basic internet even it was only through a 56 k modem.
    I think its ridiculous now where they have 8 year old kids doing school lessons over zoom .
    The government had no choice but to put us into lockdown.
    Even now i go into a shop and someone is standing 4 inchs behind me,
    some people are morons or else they do not understand social distancing .

nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Coronavirus forum for Covid discussion folks. Thread Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement