Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedroom locks in a shared flat

• 09-09-2019 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi
    myself and my flatmate each have our own bedrooms but our bedrooms don't have locks on the doors, has anyone ever experienced this, is it possible to ask the landlord for locks for the bedrooms? its a two bedroom flat, non owner occupied

I'm asking as my flatmate has friends visiting often(as do I) and I would like to avoid a scenario where someone walks into a room that they shouldn't by accident or otherwise. We get on fine and I don't want to cause a scene that might cause a slightly uncomfortable living arrangement.

any info is appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I, as a landlord would not provide locks for bedroom doors.
    I believe they are a great fire hazard should they be mistakenly locked at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

5 mins googling is that while lots of house (especially older ones) are fitted with internal doors with keys.
    It seems to be considered a bad idea to need a key to open any door if its fire escape egress route.
    Which suggests even the front and back door shouldn't need a key. Ditto windows.
    Its a required standard in some countries.

But then if you have a glass or similar light panel you can just break it and reach and gain access - burglary.
    In a shared property you could argue your bedroom is almost like a front door.

Where you do have some internal latch instead of a key seems to be good practice to have a means of opening it from the other side in case a child or someone falls sick on the other side.

Its not like you leave a key beside it either has they can be fished, and or lost.

https://www.fireengineering.com/articles/2010/07/cc-door-locks.html#gref

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I undertand your situation and there is no restriction on people living in private homes locking bedroom doors. In a shared accommodation I can understand why people would want their bedroom locked, particularly when away from the property

• Registered Users Posts: 18,847 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Edgware wrote: »
    I undertand your situation and there is no restriction on people living in private homes locking bedroom doors. In a shared accommodation I can understand why people would want their bedroom locked, particularly when away from the property

The problem the OP has is that they are in a rented home and it's designed not to have locking internal doors. So to fit locks they'd need to drill the doors and door frames to install locks and no landlord will allow that, not to mention that since they will be on the outside someone could easily lock a person in.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

kceire wrote: »
    I, as a landlord would not provide locks for bedroom doors.
    I believe they are a great fire hazard should they be mistakenly locked at night.

Another of the many reasons why renting is crap in this country. 'Landlords' not being reasonable. If I'm paying out the ass in rent sharing an apartment with a stranger, I don't want him/her to have the ability to access my private room when I'm not home and go through my belongings/valuables.

Do you ban kettles, toasters and washing machines too? surely they are even more of a fire hazard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am possibly an outlier here, but I would want a means to preserve my privacy. What the heck is wrong with locking your bedroom door when you are going out, or ahem "entertaining", or just using your room yourself?

I understand what people are saying about fire safety and so on, but surely a bedroom door is only plywood (mainly) and could be kicked in if necessary. The bedroom owner keeps the key on him/her at all times.

All the bedroom doors in our house (owned) have locks with a basic key, and although not used, it is very useful to be able to put personal stuff and electronics in the spare room when tradesmen are traipsing around. Not saying that these people would do anything untoward, it is more about keeping personal things private when others are working in the house. Similar to visitors in a shared house I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,847 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I am possibly an outlier here, but I would want a means to preserve my privacy. What the heck is wrong with locking your bedroom door when you are going out, or ahem "entertaining", or just using your room yourself?

I understand what people are saying about fire safety and so on, but surely a bedroom door is only plywood (mainly) and could be kicked in if necessary. The bedroom owner keeps the key on him/her at all times.

All the bedroom doors in our house (owned) have locks with a basic key, and although not used, it is very useful to be able to put personal stuff and electronics in the spare room when tradesmen are traipsing around. Not saying that these people would do anything untoward, it is more about keeping personal things private when others are working in the house. Similar to visitors in a shared house I reckon.

In apartments all doors are fire rated and you won't be able to kick them in.

People have died in houses due to locked doors. A little bit of insecurity is better than burning.

I know then locks and how few different key combinations that they have. If someone working in your home wanted to open the door that lock won't stop them. So while you might think that it's safely locked up it's not.

I always locked my door at night when living in shared houses and also when going home at weekends, going away etc. no way would I live in a shared house without a lockable bedroom door.

I wouldn’t be in the least bit worried about a fire, they are so rare anyway to begin with and you can just open the door. Sure our house has a key lock on the front and back doors and we don’t keep keys near either door so I wouldn’t be getting in anyway worried about locking a bedroom door.

beauf wrote: »
    5 mins googling is that while lots of house (especially older ones) are fitted with internal doors with keys.
    It seems to be considered a bad idea to need a key to open any door if its fire escape egress route.
    Which suggests even the front and back door shouldn't need a key. Ditto windows.
    Its a required standard in some countries.

But then if you have a glass or similar light panel you can just break it and reach and gain access - burglary.
    In a shared property you could argue your bedroom is almost like a front door.

Where you do have some internal latch instead of a key seems to be good practice to have a means of opening it from the other side in case a child or someone falls sick on the other side.

Its not like you leave a key beside it either has they can be fished, and or lost.

https://www.fireengineering.com/articles/2010/07/cc-door-locks.html#gref

Keys on windows and final exits are prohibited here in Ireland too as per our building regulations, specifically TGD Part B (Fire Safety). It’s been like that since the 2006 regs were released and possibly before that.

Another of the many reasons why renting is crap in this country. 'Landlords' not being reasonable. If I'm paying out the ass in rent sharing an apartment with a stranger, I don't want him/her to have the ability to access my private room when I'm not home and go through my belongings/valuables.

Do you ban kettles, toasters and washing machines too? surely they are even more of a fire hazard.

If you want that amount of privacy then maybe house sharing is not for you.
    Machines, kettles and toasters have built in protection but should they catch fire, then the last thing I want is a tenant stumbling around his room at night looking for a key that may or may not be in the door lock and this endangering themselves and affecting the means of escape of that dwelling.

The interlinked smoke detection alarms will alert my tenants and they will be provided with early warning of fire. I’ve also placed detectors in all bedrooms. Call me anal but I believe I’m
    Not being unreasonable.

Those are my rules. You don’t like them, move to a house where the LL doesn’t give a sh1t.

• Advertisement

Keys on windows and final exits are prohibited here in Ireland too as per our building regulations, specifically TGD Part B (Fire Safety). It’s been like that since the 2006 regs were released and possibly before that.

I don't know if this applies....
    In general, Building Regulations apply to the construction
    of new buildings and to extensions and material
    alterations to buildings. In addition, certain parts of the
    Regulations apply to existing buildings where a material
    change of use takes place. Otherwise, Building
    Regulations do not apply to buildings constructed prior to
    1 June 1992.

Does this not apply to private homes? What if they are rented out?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Some means to lock a bedroom in a houseshare is absolutely normal. Most house shares are a mixed bag and you never know them all well.

It's not about safety, its about security, both your personal security and the security of your property. I have had other people's house guests try enter my room while I was asleep. At any decent house party an open bedroom is an invitation to use (and to check out the contents). Have seen plenty of stuff go missing over the years. If I had company I wanted guaranteed privacy.

By way of an example, friend recently had a south american house share lad go a bit strange (bad drink and drugs mix) and he started trying to break down friend bedroom door. Friend was glad to have it locked.

OP ask the landlord. Alternatively, just change the lock - keep the old one and refit it when leaving. Buy one with a thumb turn cylinder on the inside, if you want to comply with health and safety.

beauf wrote: »
    I don't know if this applies....

Does this not apply to private homes? What if they are rented out?

No, you cannot apply the regs retrospectively. I was more replying to the comment that stated it’s a requirement in other countries by confirming it’s a requirement in new builds here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

If fire regs are the issue then a thumb lock should do the trick .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I rarely had a bedroom lock and iv been through a few shared houses.

If I couldn't trust the other occupants in a small house then it was time for one of us to leave.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A standard two lever warded lock has about as much security as a Keep Out sign if you have significant security concerns

L1011 wrote: »
    A standard two lever warded lock has about as much security as a Keep Out sign if you have significant security concerns

I've never seen a warded lock in a house.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've never seen a warded lock in a house.

My terminology may not be right. The two lever non pin tumbler locks with about 40 potential positions that are the default on Irish interior doors and as replacements can be opened by anyone who has spent ten minutes we googling

If fire regs are the issue then a thumb lock should do the trick .

Yep, Thumb locks are fine, and are perfect for final exits etc

But the OP wants a removable key that he can lock from the outside or inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Back when I was in college, one of my friends lived in a few house shares. Not having a lock on her bedroom door caused her major issues (housemates friend once soiled her mattress when she went home for a weekend, she wasn't asked if they could stay in her room) and put her in physical danger in another as one of her male housemates kept coming into her room at night after a few drinks. The other housemates were his friends in this particular house so she ended up being the one who had to leave as the landlord didn't believe someone entering your room uninvited at night it was enough to evict the culprit.

She fully believes a lock on the door would have helped her in both houses as the people involved wouldn't have been intent on causing so much damage that they would break a door or pick a lock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hotshot88

Thanks for the replies all.
    The issue isn't my flatmate, I don't invade his personal space and he doesn't invade mine.

my main concern is if he has mates over and they don't have a problem invading my personal space and using my stuff without my knowledge. I've known some people like that over the years and it can lead to problems. It's just not something to cause a fuss over if it hasn't happened(yet?).

In the absence of a lock, would a personal security camera in the bedroom be a better solution?. or would this be a violation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Is there already a door handle/ lock mechanism on the door, that you dont have a key to? Or are there no keyholes at all?

because its 12.99 for a new lock in woodies and if the fitting is already there, you can simple awop out, with a screwdriver, and swop back befoe you move out. No drilling etc.
    https://www.woodies.ie/yale-2-lever-internal-door-lock-2-5-brass-458908

But if there isn't one, then you could ask the landlord would he object, to your fitting one. you could offer hima spare key, so he doesn't get stuck changing them again when you move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I often hear this. It is dangerous thinking.

Kicking a door down is often not as easy as you'd think. Not to mind when it is in the panic situation of a house fire, possibly pitch dark, you possibly breathing in smoke. You might not be able to lay your hand on the key in the dark and panic. Thinking you'd kick in a door or smash a window with ease in a fire is the rock you'd perish on. You literally may only have seconds to do it. And someone who is very young or very old or sick or otherwise limited in their physical strength would have even less hope.

It is an extremely dangerous situation to require a key to open a door from inside. It should never be the case.
    A good compromise is to use a door lock/latch that has a thumbwheel on the inside so that you can open it from inside the room without the key. The key is only used to lock/unlock the door from the outside. Much safer. It is actually a mandatory requriement for any external door. Keys to open from inside is illegal now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Back when I was in college, one of my friends lived in a few house shares. Not having a lock on her bedroom door caused her major issues (housemates friend once soiled her mattress when she went home for a weekend, she wasn't asked if they could stay in her room) and put her in physical danger in another as one of her male housemates kept coming into her room at night after a few drinks. The other housemates were his friends in this particular house so she ended up being the one who had to leave as the landlord didn't believe someone entering your room uninvited at night it was enough to evict the culprit.

She fully believes a lock on the door would have helped her in both houses as the people involved wouldn't have been intent on causing so much damage that they would break a door or pick a lock.
    The physical danger can be solved with a wedge in future if there is no lock

I don't think I'd be replying on kicking your way though a door. Even those hollow doors, with cardboard in the center take a while to get though.
    You'd actually go though a plasterboard wall far easier.

I'm rarely in a new build, I never noticed the lack of keys in new builds. if I upgrade my own house its something that would be useful to change in the future.

Is there already a door handle/ lock mechanism on the door, that you dont have a key to? Or are there no keyholes at all?

because its 12.99 for a new lock in woodies and if the fitting is already there, you can simple awop out, with a screwdriver, and swop back befoe you move out. No drilling etc.
    https://www.woodies.ie/yale-2-lever-internal-door-lock-2-5-brass-458908

But if there isn't one, then you could ask the landlord would he object, to your fitting one. you could offer hima spare key, so he doesn't get stuck changing them again when you move out.

Pretty sure that would violate the lease, thanks for trying though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Yep, Thumb locks are fine, and are perfect for final exits etc

But the OP wants a removable key that he can lock from the outside or inside.

All he needs is a thumb turn on the inside and the ability to lock it from the outside when he is outside. Plenty of euro-profile locks are made that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

hotshot88 wrote: »
    Pretty sure that would violate the lease, thanks for trying though

Is it the case that there is a lock there and you have no key or, there is no lock there at all?

Is it the case that there is a lock there and you have no key or, there is no lock there at all?
    no lock at all

• Advertisement

I rarely had a bedroom lock and iv been through a few shared houses.

If I couldn't trust the other occupants in a small house then it was time for one of us to leave.

Many people are living with total strangers when in houseshares its totally reasonable to want to lock your door.

I can't ever recall a bedroom door without a lock be it in houseshares or family or friends houses I would call it very abnormal. Even in your own home with family there are times you want to lock the door of your bedroom.

I would see it as highly unreasonable for a LL not to have locks and the reasons given are bordering on tin foil hat stuff.

Advertisement