Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Descendant of Douglas Hyde, 1st President

• 06-09-2019 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

During 2018-19 I discovered (quite a shock) that I'm a blood relative of Douglas Hyde, 1st President. How I managed to reach 55 years of age before I learnt this I have no idea. My late father had a very sad falling out with his mother after WW2 when she remarried, and I think he swept all his history under the carpet - such was his hurt.

My great-great-grandfather was the maverick barrister Edward Vaughan Hyde Kenealy - he defended the Fenian men Burke and Casey in 1867 at Bow Street in London at the time of the Fenian Rising. Edward's maternal great-great-grandmother was a daughter of Arthur Hyde - of Castlehyde at Fermoy.

Douglas Hyde’s branch of the family diverged from mine at that point into a dynasty of vicars (all Arthurs) lasting four generations.

I was raised in London and speak with a neutral London accent. I've never visited Ireland, but it's obviously something I have to do very soon - ie while I'm still around. I had a bad illness during 2017-18 which I have now 95% recovered from, so best to visit soon.

There seem to very few descendants left from the Hydes of Castlehyde - all my research so far suggests that surprisingly few of the Hydes had children over a number of generations. Castlehyde itself was owned by Michael Flatley for some years, although he has been trying to sell it - I don't know if there is now a new owner.

Douglas Hyde's achievements are obviously well-known, including co-founding the Gaelic League.

So my humble message to the people of Ireland is that old naval term: "Request permission to come aboard."

Dominic

=============================

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Céad Míle Fáilte

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Great first post - welcome aboard. :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Come on in, you're very welcome! Congratulations on a great family history. I'm so jealous! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

[Quick shifty, all clear, OOD (Pinky) has given the nod, side-ropes manned, bos’n with call at the ready]
    “Welcome aboard Sir”

Douglas Hyde was from a cadet branch (Sligo). I don’t envy you tracing the genealogy of the cadet branches, I once did a little work on a Hyde who married into a family I was researching and it was not easy, too many Arthurs! He was Frederick Hyde, born about 1800, a son of Rev. Arthur, Vicar of Killarney. Frederick had so many interconnected relationships through the intermarriage of cousins/nieces/nephews/uncles that it would have been easy to think he was not only his own first cousin but also his own uncle! A couple of his sons emigrated to Australia and to the US – I’ve not followed them up to see if they had issue. Douglas had two daughters, no sons.

The first of the Hydes in Ireland received several thousand acres of Desmond land from QE1 for his duty at the time of the Armada. Castle Hyde is quite recent, built c1800 on the site of an earlier smaller house. The Hydes also owned Craig (or Creg) Castle in Co. Cork, a more historic home.

The senior Hyde branch fell on hard times, Castlehyde was sold by the Encumbered Estates Court in c1850 against a debt of £150k – it made £1000k. (approx.) and they moved back into Creg Castle. It was bought by one of the Tipperary Sadliers, who later sold it to one of the Bechers of Cork, whose family owned it into the 20th century. AFAIK Flately still owns the place, it failed to sell despite a price drop and it may now be off the market.

I have my notes filed, can check a few details if required, most relate to the Kerry branch and the earlier generations. Kenealy was a fascinating character, ‘maverick’ is somewhat of an understatement!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dom100

It's just a great shame that I don't qualify for an Irish passport. I despise England and what it has become - and even more, what it is right now... a seething den of bigots, racists, ultra-nationalists and xenophobes. I left England 10 years ago, and never want to return (other than to place flowers on the graves of some dear family and friends).

Strong words from an "Englishman" (albeit with rather green blood) - but I feel my sentiment is sadly quite close to reality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Sorry to hear that, but this forum is just for genealogy, so I don't want a debate on this topic please.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement