Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Records office question

• 27-08-2019 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭

I have someone in my tree that I’m not sure is still alive or not (or if they had a family).

I have his parents names and the month & year of birth (but not date).

If I look him up in the records office for his birth cert, is there any link to a death or marriage or kids birth certificates if they exist?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

No.

Your best bet is newspapers for this kind of search - look for death notices.

RIP.ie goes back 10 years if you register an account on their site.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Thought that might be the case. Seems stupid to gather these important details & then not join them up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Why stupid?

The role of the General Register Office is to record the occurrence of births, marriages and deaths - not to compile family trees.

That role belongs to us genealogists.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Hermy wrote: »
    Why stupid?

The role of the General Register Office is to record the occurrence of births, marriages and deaths - not to compile family trees.

That role belongs to us genealogists.

Stupid because they have the data at source and would be easy to join them up at that point

The data they have does not easily lend itself to being joined up - it requires time-consuming research.

Perhaps you should write a letter to the Office of the Registrar General explaining to them why you think they should take on this onerous task.

I'll be eager to read any reply you receive from them. :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Death certs now have parents' names, DOB and place of birth recorded on them as well as birth surname if different.
    But it only came in about 10 years ago. And still left blank if the registerer doesn't know those details.
    A PPS look up could easily link a death and birth cert but that kind of joined up thinking is beyond the civil service usually.

I do agree with Hermy that it's our job, but it could be made a little easier.

The one that really gets me is that there's no official place to record siblings, unless you happen to live together for a census.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    A PPS look up could easily link a death and birth cert but that kind of joined up thinking is beyond the civil service usually.

I'd imagine that kind of joined up thinking would instantly fall foul of the data commissioner.

The function of civil registration is to record that someone was born, got married or died. Assisting in the compiling of family trees is beyond the remit of the GRO and quite unnecessary. Again, that function is the preserve of the genealogist.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Well, here's a use for it.

My grandmother's death cert has her age wrong. It was filled out by a doctor in the nursing home who didn't check her DOB. It wouldn't be wrong if they'd cross-referenced. And in trying to get it fixed, I've been told different information a couple of times so haven't got around to correcting it. She's dead 15 years.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Would that not be on the doctor not doing his or her job properly rather than any failing on the part of the GRO?

But I take your point Pinky - there are some practical applications to this beyond compiling of family trees.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

One reason for linking death records to birth records is to avoid fraud & identity theft - it has happened that people have used birth records of people who have died for various nefarious purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

KildareFan wrote: »
    One reason for linking death records to birth records is to avoid fraud & identity theft - it has happened that people have used birth records of people who have died for various nefarious purposes.

Bigger picture - this sort of scenario might also be seen to provide a reason for civil records not to be open to all applicants.

Another reason for linking records might be to avoid unclaimed estates. Although I don't know if it's a good enough reason to justify it.

Advertisement