Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭irishgeo

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    According to the Mayo News today, O'Donoghue missed the club game through injury and was attending a medical assessment in Castlebar. So it looks like the mob can put their pitchforks away!

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has chance to put it's trousers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Yourself and Joe Brolly certainly love talking about Mayo football, that's for sure.

My club, office and past course are all infested with Mayo ones. It's kind of tough to avoid tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

According to the Mayo News today, O'Donoghue missed the club game through injury and was attending a medical assessment in Castlebar. So it looks like the mob can put their pitchforks away!

Ah now, was there ever really a "mob" though?

All people could go on is the Western people report and the optics of that looked terrible quite frankly.

The prevailing reaction from what I could see was people (rightfully) questioning the situation and seeking an explanation. And that is what they got. And everyone will now move on

If it is reported (rightly or wrongly) a vital player has skipped a club match to go to a county "assessment" then it is a very sad day for the club game if this is met with zero questioning.

I definitely didn't see any pitchforks anyway, unless I missed the calls for Horan's head or Dononghue's public lynching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

FWIW - I think Hulk hands definitely has a valid point

I don't think attendances are that much of an issue in Mayo club games to be honest, and its as popular as many counties, but he's certainly correct in that the proportion of those with an unwavering support of the county team but with an indifference to club football, is certainly high.

There was actually a few comments on the MayoGAABlog recently, along the lines of looking forward to January when the "football" can recommence

This in the week leading up to Kilmaine, the Neale and Tooreen playing Connacht finals

In fairness a lot of this might even be "cultural" in a sense, for lack of a better word. I'm based in galway for years now and well involved with the club scene here. Hulk hands is coming from a county where the club hurling semi finals are the highlight of the year, with neutrals galore in attendance.

the same doesn't happen in Mayo (or many counties) so having never been exposed to this, its natural people won't see his point - I don't mean that in a bad way

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

There was a very poor attendance at the all Ireland club finals on Paddy's day this year even though 2 Galway clubs were playing. I don't think you can draw any conclusions purely on attendance when some counties have a streaming service and others don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

Latest from the foundation is an Instagram post detailing that an anonymous letter has been sent to Croke park complaining of the Mayo Secretarys behaviours in the recent EGM. Its beyond a joke now. Someone needs to wade in here now and sort this out. Either there are seriously shady shenanigans going on in the board or the foundations nose is out out joint and wants blood. I don't care which but its worse than a soap opera at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭westsidestory

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    My club, office and past course are all infested with Mayo ones. It's kind of tough to avoid tbh

So you post on boards.ie Mayo GAA thread to get away from them.

statto25 wrote: »
    Latest from the foundation is an Instagram post detailing that an anonymous letter has been sent to Croke park complaining of the Mayo Secretarys behaviours in the recent EGM. Its beyond a joke now. Someone needs to wade in here now and sort this out. Either there are seriously shady shenanigans going on in the board or the foundations nose is out out joint and wants blood. I don't care which but its worse than a soap opera at this stage.

serious shady things going, the foundation only started this when a senior mayo gga official approached and told him his money wasnt spent on the senior team as he requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

A motion at last night's County Board Meeting to overturn the exclusion of media from meetings was voted on and passed by those club delegates in attendance.The incoming County Board along with clubs will agree the format for meetings in January 2020.

Common sense thankfully prevails.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

So you post on boards.ie Mayo GAA thread to get away from them.
    Its Love Unspoken .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

statto25 wrote: »

100% CP need to get someone in to sort this or get someone to mediate. I don't think there is any fraud going on but maybe a lack of proper process and governance around money spent. It's probably to late to get his money back so it would be best if he leaves it be and become a normal supporter. He is starting to do more damage than good with this suing threat.

For all you hard core Mayo GAA supporters I can only highly recommend you buy the Western People's Mayo GAA: A Decade In Review publication.

All for the princely sum of 5 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

seligehgit wrote: »
    For all you hard core Mayo GAA supporters I can only highly recommend you buy the Western People's Mayo GAA: A Decade In Review publication.

All for the princely sum of 5 euro.

It’s absolutely excellent
    Half way through it
    In fairness to John O he set it up nicely for Horan

I am getting optimistic again too LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

Matthew Ruane taking part in the AFL combine this weekend. Would be a huge blow if he leaves for Australia.

glack wrote: »
    Matthew Ruane taking part in the AFL combine this weekend. Would be a huge blow if he leaves for Australia.

Best of luck to the lad but agreed he'd be a terrible loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

and oisin mullin FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

km79 wrote: »
    and oisin mullin FFS

And Frank Irwin too.

And Frank Irwin too.

Not at all surprised,a tremendous prospect.

Yikes can it get any worse?

Ethan Henry would be another certainty for the AFL scouts to be looking at into the future.

Mayo GAA should do everything they can to hold onto these players.

Kerry GAA by all accounts threw the kitchen sink at holding onto Clifford after they lost Mark O Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The main drawback of the AFL/GAA hybrid game for all clubs and counties.

They are professional outfits where our game suits the skill-set required to play theirs, and that looks attractive to many of our best young players.
    Difficult to blame young lads for giving it a go, but I would have most sympathy for the clubs that brought these young lads to the level that makes them attractive propositions to AFL clubs in that with a much smaller pick than counties they are often losing their star player. A player who playing club would be someone every kid in the parish would want to emulate. Something vital for a clubs future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Heard McDonald has joined Horan. Great move to bring him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭PressRun

Had also heard about McDonald joining the backroom team, don't know in what capacity though.

Don't get me started on the AFL and their poaching of GAA players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭dobman88

Kerry GAA by all accounts threw the kitchen sink at holding onto Clifford after they lost Mark O Connor.

Any link to that, as I've often wondered what they did to keep him when he likely had other offers.

PressRun wrote: »
    Had also heard about McDonald joining the backroom team, don't know in what capacity though.

Don't get me started on the AFL and their poaching of GAA players.

hopefully as shooting coach

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

If Mayo are going to be really competitive next year extra funding will have to be found. Big sponsorship for Limerick Hurlers last year and Tipperary Hurlers this year, has helped both teams to win the big prize. Big funding has helped Dublin to win the five in a row. Remember big repayments have to made every month re MacHale Park. Mayo's brand has been damaged by the recent controversies. If Liam Moffett and Michael Gallagher are elected at the Mayo Convention next Sunday, it will help to repair the damage done to the Mayo brand. I was very impressed with Liam Moffett and Michael Gallagher on Midwest radio today.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Any link to that, as I've often wondered what they did to keep him when he likely had other offers.

TBH nothing more than speculation on my behalf.

Mere utterances I heard on podcasts such as Terrace Talk and the general chit chat in the media and the environs of the Kingdom.

There was talk of ensuring he was looked after either in terms of an occupation or directed towards the Institute of Technology in Tralee.

So it could be all raimeis but I wouldn't have blamed Kerry GAA if they went through a wall to retain the possibly great white hope for gaelic football for the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭dobman88

TBH nothing more than speculation on my behalf.

Mere utterances I heard on podcasts such as Terrace Talk and the general chit chat in the media and the environs of the Kingdom.

There was talk of ensuring he was looked after either in terms of an occupation or directed towards the Institute of Technology in Tralee.

So it could be all raimeis but I wouldn't have blamed Kerry GAA if they went through a wall to retain the possibly great white hope for gaelic football for the next decade.

Ah, thought youd heard something concrete. Would assume they're paying his college fees at an absolute minimum, also, terrace talk :pac: dont be taking that hot air machine seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

https://www.afl.com.au/news/267176/lithuanian-born-and-lightning-quick-irish-prospect-stars-at-european-combine

Ruane and Mullin were noted as 2 of the better performers in this article. I think it's unlikely they'd offer Ruane a contract at 23 but worrying all the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

If Mayo are going to be really competitive next year extra funding will have to be found. Big sponsorship for Limerick Hurlers last year and Tipperary Hurlers this year, has helped both teams to win the big prize. Big funding has helped Dublin to win the five in a row. Remember big repayments have to made every month re MacHale Park. Mayo's brand has been damaged by the recent controversies. If Liam Moffett and Michael Gallagher are elected at the Mayo Convention next Sunday, it will help to repair the damage done to the Mayo brand. I was very impressed with Liam Moffett and Michael Gallagher on Midwest radio today.

Howya Tim!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Tim O Leary has joined twitter and is sharing some interesting receipts.

Including someones grocery shopping list, curtains costing over 2k and a Dietician bill from 2017, before he ever gave them a cent.

The CB must be scrambling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement