Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Try Commercial Dive Gear!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 spudlington

Places are still available on thursday 13 August. The next two courses are fully booked. Contact Scubadive West for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I'd love to give it a shot but I'm working.
    It's a brand new PADI specialty, actually devised by Tiernan Gray (the youngest of the Gray brothers) and those that sign up for the thursday will be the 1st in the world to do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭acmj2007

looks great, too far away for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ghost_worker

I did the day course on friday and I have to say that it was absolutely thrilling! The helmet weighs about 10 Kg but when in the water it was fine. Also there was a really good intoduction about the places where it is used and all the other types of 'diving' (ie military, police) where varients of the commercial diving apparatus can be applied.

I especially liked the comms unit. It all made for a new type of diving for me. Also I liked not having to 'bite' down on a regulator and couls just breathe as normal.

The layout of the course was well thought out and executed. Any questions that we had were answered and I would recommend it for anyone who has an interest in the area!

regards,

ghost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 tickledhoney

That looks deadly! I'd love to do it. How many people were on the course? Is it going to be offered else where in Ireland for those who can't make the Scubadive West dates?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 thechick

I done this course on friday as well, First girl to ever do it!!

its a great experience, we spent the first half of the day learning about the commercial diving industry, the courses that are involved and the different diving jobs they do, then, in the afternoon we had a go for ourselves!

it was great, kitting up was easy, all you had to do was sit on the bench and everyone else did the work for you! then i took a few steps, and took a giant stride off the edge of the pier into about 2.5metres of clear water....and dont ask me how, but i ended up doing a hand stand on the sea bed, haha, (ah lads...i'm upside down, someone put me the right way up!) and everyone had the pleasure of seeing my feet wiggling on the surface, cillian Gray, our 'support diver' managed to correct my position and we went for a walk about for a while, it was a really weird experience to be able to walk on the sea bed, no regulator in your mouth and be able to talk to the guys on the pier!

And for any girls thinking about doing it- the gear isnt heavy and when you get in the water, its weighless, its sort of like walking on the moon!

its a once in a life time chance to try it out!

I'd recommend it to anyone!

a big thanks to Tiernan and cillian gray for the expertise and helpfulness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 tickledhoney

This is going to sound like a really silly question but I'll ask anyway....

Do you have to wear a dry suit to do the course?

Delighted you both enjoyed the course! To answer the other posts, the course is available exclusively at Scubadive West. You can contact them to check availability. There will be one course per month throughout the winter with additional dates added as required. Next course, Sunday sept 13th filled straight away so Monday 14th sept is now a provisional date too.
    It's not a silly question regarding drysuits at all, for the course you need to wear a Drysuit but you don't need any Drysuit diving experience. If you dont have a drysuit you can rent one on the day.

Some photos of the last two courses on the galleries here........

http://www.underwaterinspectionservices.com/Galleries.html

Two places are now available on this Sunday. Contact Scubadive West for details. info@scubadivewest.com 095 43922

• Advertisement

Two places available on this saturday 31st Oct. For more information or to book your place contact Scubadive West.
    A couple of photos from the last course showing the cctv system
    Dates for 2010 have been selected and are on www.scubadivewest.com
    info @ scubadivewest.com
    095 43922

Course participant using camera system to carry out a mock inspection on pier wall.

Youtube clip of recent courses......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm_25CcpMkU

<<Snip>>

You've also posted this in the course & bargains thread so no need to spam the board.

Advertisement