Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rat killing :(

• 04-08-2020 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

HI All(sorry of this isn't posted in the right place!)

This is some house. There are big gaps in the skirting down underneath the suspended floor which is street level.

I wanted to check for rats so put 'DeadFast' sachets on the floor by the holes about 2 weeks ago. After about 3 days the two sachets vanished.

So after another week I left out another 2 sachets and they were gone in the space of an hour.

That night I put another 2 out and again they were gone quickly.

I reasoned that whatever is eating them would take the sachets under the suspended floor where all the rats could have a nibble and then croak it.

But this stuff seems to be doing nothing, either that or there must be some amount of rats down there. :eek:

I think I'm going to give up trying to kill them now and spray expanding foam into the holes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

HI All(sorry of this isn't posted in the right place!)

This is some house. There are big gaps in the skirting down underneath the suspended floor which is street level.

I wanted to check for rats so put 'DeadFast' sachets on the floor by the holes about 2 weeks ago. After about 3 days the two sachets vanished.

So after another week I left out another 2 sachets and they were gone in the space of an hour.

That night I put another 2 out and again they were gone quickly.

I reasoned that whatever is eating them would take the sachets under the suspended floor where all the rats could have a nibble and then croak it.

But this stuff seems to be doing nothing, either that or there must be some amount of rats down there. :eek:

I think I'm going to give up trying to kill them now and spray expanding foam into the holes.

Woukdnt recommend using rat poison. Problem is that they'll die elsewhere and a predator like a buzzard or a kite or fox badger etc even a stoat will eat it and kill themselves too.
    Coukd also leave a dead rat closer to somewhere and stink up the place which is pretty rotten to smell.
    An electric trap from dead fast is better to use. Expensive but good.
    Scatter ferret shíte about usually deters them aswell.
    Never had an issue with rats when I got the ferrets

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

I live in the inner city, Not many foxes or stoats around these parts!

Not too keen on scattering ferret ****e around the place but a good idea, do woodies sell it haha

The electric yoke could help thanks for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

Get a cat and don't neuter him. He'll kill every mouse and rat in sight. Got one three years ago and haven't seen a mouse or rat since. Except dead ones he leaves in the garden. Downside, he will also kill and leave birds and small rabbits

Get a cat and don't neuter him. He'll kill every mouse and rat in sight. Got one three years ago and haven't seen a mouse or rat since. Except dead ones he leaves in the garden. Downside, he will also kill and leave birds and small rabbits

A cat will also kill every thing he sees. Songbirds for example. So a cat is not a good idea

I live in the inner city, Not many foxes or stoats around these parts!

Not too keen on scattering ferret ****e around the place but a good idea, do woodies sell it haha

The electric yoke could help thanks for the suggestions.

doesn't have to be ferret ****e. Even the bedding they sleep on can be scattered around and will deter rats. Once a rat smells a ferret he won't come back again
    I always give plenty of it to neighbours
    They've no rats anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My best cat for killing rats is neutered and 16 years old. When I moved in here there was a plague of huge rats. Only seen one in four years and that was dead.

Only seen one dead bird in many a while also and no rabbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You definitely need a cat.

The number of birds killed compared to vermin is very small

Advertisement